• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
The steam page for ME Legendary says that origin needs to be installed and running in the background while the game is open, so there's basically no point in getting the game on Steam unless you specifically want steam achievements, right?

I was looking to order the game early and everyone is selling origin keys, right now has the game for $52 and we all know they don't charge tax in the US while steam does, so you're talking $65 vs $52 at that point.

I've never purchased an EA game through steam before and from what the steam page is telling me, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in doing so considering these circumstances, correct?

gg.deals

Buy cheap Mass Effect Legendary Edition cd key - lowest price

Compare prices of over 50 stores to find best deals for Mass Effect Legendary Edition in digital distribution. Check the price history, create a price alert, buy games cheaper with GG.deals

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Third party retailers (GMG, Humble, etc) will always sell you the Origin keys per the deal with EA.

The only place you can get the Steam version is within Steam.

The Steam version will come with Steam Achievements and Steam trading cards.

Steam has it listed as Full Controller support too but not sure if the Origin version will have that (pretty sure it should)

Then there's remote play on TV which is also listed.

For me by default I'm getting it on Steam since I want to keep my whole PC gaming experience under Steam due to not only the achievements/trading cards but because of the game time log and the built in Steam FPS counter.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Unless you want to play it on Steam, there isn't really a significant difference that I can think of. If you're using a controller that the game doesn't support natively, you should be able to add it to Steam as a non-Steam game to get it running with that.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see the point in buying Origin games on Steam. Unless you really care about Steam achievements I guess. Most useful Steam features still work if you add the game's shortcut to Steam so all you're getting from Steam is a second DRM system.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
There's Remote Play and Steam Input but those can also be used with non-Steam games.

The only other thing I can think of is Proton if you're running Linux.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
It runs origin lite which basically is a 1 time thing and then you don't even see it anymore. Way better than Origin full which is trash.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Third party retailers (GMG, Humble, etc) will always sell you the Origin keys per the deal with EA.

The only place you can get the Steam version is within Steam.

The Steam version will come with Steam Achievements and Steam trading cards.

Steam has it listed as Full Controller support too but not sure if the Origin version will have that (pretty sure it should)

Then there's remote play on TV which is also listed.

For me by default I'm getting it on Steam since I want to keep my whole PC gaming experience under Steam due to not only the achievements/trading cards but because of the game time log and the built in Steam FPS counter.

I want the trading cards, steam's FPS counter and steam achievements but I guess it just doesn't make sense for me considering I'd be paying significantly more just to get cash back through trading cards and I intend to use mouse and keyboard and have no interest in remote play.

So I guess that settles it for me then. If 3rd parties are just always going to be selling me origin keys,I'll always lose getting the game through steam because games don't seem to go on sale as often on steam as they do on third parties, plus I don't get charged tax buying from third parties outside of GamesBillet I think.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
It runs origin lite which basically is a 1 time thing and then you don't even see it anymore. Way better than Origin full which is trash.

Ooooooh, I assumed that it just launched Origin each time you clicked play like I remember Uplay games doing.

Well then.....interesting. Probably still go origin due to the price difference but this is good to know.

MJnR

Mar 13, 2019
I don't see any major pros or cons that would made one of the options significantly better than the other. Personally, I preordered it on Steam since I prefer it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
1. Depends on whether you actively use Origin. If you don't use Origin, get it on Steam to have it in the library you probably use more often.
Personally, I "forget" what I have on other launchers because I don't actively use them.
2. Doesn't really matter for ME, but as I don't actively use Origin, I would not check if DLC's are on sale.
3. There is a chance of 99.9% that Steam outlives Origin and a pretty good chance above 0 that all Origin games at that point become native to Steam.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
1. Depends on whether you actively use Origin. If you don't use Origin, get it on Steam to have it in the library you probably use more often.
Personally, I "forget" what I have on other launchers because I don't actively use them.

I mean I have them on my PC for whenever I decide I wanna play Madden or the Sims, otherwise I don't even launch the launcher unless it just magically opens on my computer because I haven't logged in for a while.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
I mean I have them on my PC for whenever I decide I wanna play Madden or the Sims, otherwise I don't even launch the launcher unless it just magically opens on my computer because I haven't logged in for a while.

If Steam autostarts or you open Steam regardless "every" day, I would get it on Steam. Sure, you need to have Origin in the background, but why fracture your library further? It's all in one place with added features without any drawbacks.
It's a bit like GoG Galaxy in that regard, you have everything in one place but the individual game opens their own launcher.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
The steam page for ME Legendary says that origin needs to be installed and running in the background while the game is open, so there's basically no point in getting the game on Steam unless you specifically want steam achievements, right?
If Steam still manages game updates and cloud saves then its better to just get it there. The less you interact with Origin, the better imo.

OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
If Steam autostarts or you open Steam regardless "every" day, I would get it on Steam. Sure, you need to have Origin in the background, but why fracture your library further? It's all in one place with added features without any drawbacks.
It's a bit like GoG Galaxy in that regard, you have everything in one place but the individual game opens their own launcher.

Oh I use GOG galaxy as well, just rarely. 95% of my library is in Steam, the rest are in Origin, Uplay and GOG. Of course i'd rather have everything in one place but its not as if I don't have a handful of games in other launchers as is and I already use Origin, just not often.

If Steam still manages game updates and cloud saves then its better to just get it there. The less you interact with Origin, the better imo.

Ehhhhhh, $65 vs $52.70 is a pretty not so insignificant price difference and I already have issues with steam cloud saves. Just had an issue last night with DQ11 which I hadn't played since January. I guess my mistake was picking the older cloud save rather than the newer one. Loaded up the game and had to re-play a section of gameplay I clearly remember doing before.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
You will unlock these Steam exclusive features: poor customer support and bare minimum refund policy.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I just bought it on cdkeys through PayPal pay in 4 plan. Too cheap to resist that option and I could always just add the game on steam for most of the useful features.
oh come on lmao
Steam has the best refund policy outside of GOG, which is borderline god tier.

Does origin even have a refund policy? What they give you? 24 hours from purchase?
Origin
You may return eligible EA full game downloads (PC or Mac) and
participating third party titles
purchased on Origin for a full refund. Refund requests can be made within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within fourteen days from your date of purchase, or within fourteen days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first. And if you purchase a new EA game within the first 30 days of its release date and can't play it due to technical reasons within EA's control, you can request a refund within 72 hours after you first launch the game instead of 24.
I think it only applies to EA games though.

dlemarc

Oct 31, 2017
I've personally stopped buying EA and Ubisoft games on Steam, because I hate launching a game and getting another launcher, or a pop-up for another launcher.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've personally stopped buying EA and Ubisoft games on Steam, because I hate launching a game and getting another launcher, or a pop-up for another launcher.

Yep, I'm glad I have Augmented Steam that tells me what EA games actually launch Origin otherwise I would have been screwed.

I'm happy Apex and C&C Remastered on Steam don't require Origin!

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Origin had a refund policy before Steam did. IIRC they even made it without having to get strong armed into it by lawsuits unlike Steam.

It is easy to make a refund policy for your own games, and ONLY for your own games.
It take a bit more effort to do it for tens of thousands of games and thousands of publishers/devs.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
oh come on lmao
Steam has the best refund policy outside of GOG, which is borderline god tier.
My Steam account is 15 years old. I don't ask for refunds often but one of the few times I have was with CP2077 and it was denied solely because I passed the two hour mark. 120 minutes in and they say fuck you even if half of that time is spent troubleshooting issues. I asked again and was met with an automated reply. Their customer service is total shit and you'd have better luck asking a rando on G2A for help.

Either way it's far more convenient to open things up directly on Origin than having to launch Steam and tell it to start Origin for you.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I want all my PC games in one place, with my playtime, achievements etc. Plus much easier to recover the acc if anything happens.

But you do you.

My Steam account is 15 years old. I don't ask for refunds often but one of the few times I have was with CP2077 and it was denied solely because I passed the two hour mark. 120 minutes in and they say fuck you even if half of that time is spent troubleshooting issues. I asked again and was met with an automated reply. Their customer service is total shit and you'd have better luck asking a rando on G2A for help.

Either way it's far more convenient to open things up directly on Origin than having to launch Steam and tell it to start Origin for you.

Imagine how hellish it would be if they opened "exceptions" for refunds for more than 20k games on the store. They would need huge teams just to verify them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Soundtrack2chaos
Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc

I refunded cyberpunk 2077 after 30 hours on GOG. No tax either. If a game is available on Steam and GOG, go with GOG. No tax plus their refund policy is borderline insane. (They did take a week to respond to me, so that's probably why they gave it to me after all those hours. This is when everyone and their mother was bombarding their customer service)

I also was able to refund another game earlier in the year after playing it for 12 hours. (Game was in early access and was a bit too buggy for my tastes, will rebuy when it fully releases from GOG again)