• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Story of Seasons games have the most atrocious art style. Looks like browser games.

Terraria has a terrible font. Looks like a third grader made it with comic sans.

Outer Worlds faces look creepy in those dialogue scenes. I just can't look at it.

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Pixel art can definitely be hit & miss, personally i hated Risk of Rain's artstyle for being "too busy", not everyone is going to put out an Octopath Traveler after all.

Mobile style like Fortnite, Clash of Clans and the hundreds of clones is cheap and sterile, devoid of any personality just chimping on other brands to obtain any semblance of "being iconic".

But the absolute worst offenders are generic waifu games. The Shining games are one of the biggest modern examples of this like others have well pointed out. Used to be such a nice set of games now it's generic schoolgirl big boobs grills and dark schoolgirls with katana. Yeah, pass. A game like Tales of Vesperia, despite still being very animu, is on another plane of existance alltogether.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Pretty much all of those pixel art indie games. I probably missed many great games because of that, but I just can't.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
I couldn't bring myself to play Dust: An Elysian Tail for very long.
It's a furry nightmare and fuck that annoying abomination:
thumb-1920-506599.jpg

I'll also play Minecraft exclusively with its RTX mode once its out.

Jun 24, 2019
Fortnite/Clash Of Clans. Oversaturated colours and plastic faces hurt my eyes.

Clash%20of%20Clans.jpg

I can dig anime but there are specific styles I loathe.

For starters, the infantilised-moe look. Main reason why I didn't buy XCX and XC2, their alien faces disturb me.

CPVfAbj.jpg

Even worse, Clannad's art style.

hqdefault.jpg

25B195BE-3DDD-4B03-AD4C-2EEAAE73E3F5.jpeg

Finally, the generic-ness in gacha games, Voltage Inc comes into mind.

46ae1e9ce85aac80e9e74bd62ff3f941391d283b_hq.jpg

Clones or an inbred community.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I only bought Celeste because it was super cheap and all the praise,but I have yet to play because the art style is terrible for me,the same happened with the even uglier Undertale,but this I beated and enjoyed.
Celeste is beautiful

FormalHighlevelHypsilophodon-size_restricted.gif

f8dac256266620727a9dc2db59a7293d.gif

I played a little of the 4th level (2nd gif) on acid and it was stunning

MasterC12TF

Alt Account
Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I see the Gears complains, and I get it, but by 3, 4 and 5 they did add color and on 4 and 5 they changed the human proportions. They still look buffed but...normal now? I like regular JD, and even Marcus looks human now:

f956b971b80007031bd7722c08db498a.jpg

haiwei-hou-artbook-marcusarmored-l.jpg

Agree, looks much better now, great even. In the first few Gears-games, nobody would have been surprised if the storylines at one point had a mission to obtain a tanker filled with steroids do that the team could survive a few more months or something :P

Oct 30, 2017
1529314318-3114152363.jpg

093189.jpg

screenshot.mark-of-the-ninja-remastered.1280x720.2018-10-09.3.jpg

hi-res digital 2D art with thick outlines. i'm sorry but all of these look like webcomics or newgrounds flash games.

i mean i can get over it, hollow knight is great, but it does not look good to me.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I hate tints. Fallout 3, parts of New Vegas, Night Vision in most games (especially Halo 3 ODST), wire view in Batman Arkham. I will still play most of these as I can keep it to a minimum, but games like Fallout 3 where it's default just sicken me. And not in the "It's sick they would do that sense", but in the "2 more minutes of this and I'm going to vomit. My eyes are strained and I have a headache already" sense.

Deleted member 32101

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Not the art style, just the choice / representation of characters yielding an overall presentation: Ni No Kuni I & II.

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine having absolutely zero taste to the point Yoshi's Island and Dragon Quest spring to mind as games you wouldn't play because of their artstyle. Whew.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
basically everything with shiny weapons in a hyperrealistic manner.
so every cod and battlefield. i havent played any games after the first ones.
oh and every game, which takes this "we against the terrorists" thing too far. spec ops the line did a great job.
i loved bloody and gory games when i was a kid. these days i cant stand them anymore.
when i was in elementary school, mortal kombat was my life, i played sf2 and mk1-3 so much during the 90s, now i try to avoid those gory games.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Photo realism, or some approximation of photo realism (any sport-themed video game series or military simulators) & replicating the aesthetics and look of 1980's claymation/puppet stop-motion animation (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, The Dream Machine, & The Neverhood).

I know I'll get roasted for the latter opinion, but I still have nightmares of 'The Adventures of Mark Twain', 'Darkness, Light Darkness', 'Gumby & Pokey,' and 'Las Gemelas'. You can't convince me to play the examples that I've listed above.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
From a purely visual perspective, there's few things that are an immediate complete shutdown for me. It's more how the aesthetic is wielded to reinforce the game's themes that matters.

I would have to really go into a long explanation to fully capture what I'm trying to say, but since I don't have the time to do that right now, I will put it this way: I'm actually kinda okay with an aesthetic embellishing violence or sexuality unless the game is overtly trying to utilize that aesthetic to promote or celebrate mean-spirited and derogatory messaging. And to further complicate that, I can tolerate the use of mean-spirited and derogatory messaging within the context of a game if it is presented to the player as the challenge to overcome and the player is given adequate agency to explore and dismantle it, though there is a thin line of tact between being a power fantasy response or a tactfully handled philosophical challenge to the player — at the end of the day, the game is going to have to say something about whatever it's exploring (even if that something is "eh this is just for fun, don't sweat a thing") and the aesthetic is going to reinforce that.

Aesthetics matter in exploring themes, but upfront aesthetic is rarely an automatic and strong rejection outright for me. Sometimes presenting an art style I'm not necessarily subjectively fond of but exploring themes that I genuinely find intriguing ends up being a pleasantly subversive experience — eg, I'm not really into 2B's gothic erotica maid outfit when I look at it out of context, but damn I can't deny Nier Automata just would not land as hard if that design element wasn't a part of the existential crisis that game explores, that dissonance between the art I'm seeing and the gravity of the narrative is absolutely amusing to me.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Early 360/PS3 Unreal Engine 3 art style with dull metal, grey, brown colors.

I don't actually 'hate' them, just not fond the look of it.

Especially when Unreal Engine 4 right now blows 3 with how amazing vibrant colors it produced.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
8-bit style indie games, Gears, Borderlands, some styles of Anime (the really generic ones, where every character has the same face, similar to Tales or those visual novel type games), hyper realism (the type of "realism" where the characters have so many skin filters, wrinkles and details that they don't look real anymore - most people's faces don't look like the surface of the moon).

A thing about Anime, though: What does "Anime" even mean? There such a breadth of styles. Zelda is Anime, too. Do people actually refuse to play Zelda because its Anime, or refuse to watch Ghibli because it's Anime? You're missing out on some proper art there. And for what it's worth, I always thought Toriyama's art was ugly but Dragon Quest 11 changed my mind. It translates well to 3D and looks much better in-game than in the concept art.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Even worse, Clannad's art style.

hqdefault.jpg

25B195BE-3DDD-4B03-AD4C-2EEAAE73E3F5.jpeg

Finally, the generic-ness in gacha games, Voltage Inc comes into mind.

This and Compile Heart stuff, I can't deal with.

IT'S NOT CUTE. IT'S CREEPY AF. Cute anime style is what the Atelier series had during the Dusk trilogy.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
All of the buildings and shops have that sort of detail, and the sky is incredibly well rendered, with the way it changes with the weather and time of day.

ACNH is not a budget game. Nintendo took their time with it and it shows. It sounds like maybe your complaint is mostly with the avatar characters?

That's part of it. The characters look like Mii-verse rejects, but that's not just it. The game has an aesthetic that reminds me of Dora the Explorer. The color palette doesn't feel right and the island just doesn't have the vibrancy I'm looking for. To contrast I'll give a nod to the Touryst also on Nintendo Switch.

the-touryst-switch-screenshot01.jpg

the-touryst-switch-screenshot05.jpg

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I'll echo a lot of other people in this thread when saying Bravely Default, particularly the latest one. Especially after playing through Octopath. Going from that and then seeing the art for Bravely Default II, it all looks lovely. Like this icon art. Then, seeing the actual in-game visuals, it's displeasing:

9cf199ab6432ec0469e43acb02f6dea123cf027ff2a23fc464b3a3d152454faf.jpg

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't really like medieval settings with their brown and grey ramshackle constructions. Similar with postapocalyptic settings that are essentially garbage taped together to make anything. That includes Borderlands even though I don't think that has seen any apocalypse, it's still a world built from garbage.

I'm not against moeblob art but I find it's a good rule of thumb to assume games with that style are just trash in general. On Steam it's likely that a game with moe art has no other qualities to it and just tries to grab some cash that way.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
This thread speaks to me, as the way a game looks can certainly effect how much interest I have in it. One example that comes to mind for me is Super Meat Boy. I enjoy that kind of intense and challenging 2D platforming, but every time I look at that game I just feel no desire to play it. It's so dark and dingy looking and it makes me feel bad.

Ultimately I think I just like color and vibrancy more than anything. That's not to say I can't enjoy a darker game, bit does make it harder for me to have a good time.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
I couldn't bring myself to play Dust: An Elysian Tail for very long.
It's a furry nightmare and fuck that annoying abomination:
thumb-1920-506599.jpg

I'll also play Minecraft exclusively with its RTX mode once its out.

I dunno, I feel like this isnt fair. I know the swamp of the internet has tainted designs like these, but theres nothing inherently wrong or furry about anthropomorphic designs like this, just like there isnt anything wrong with designs like Banjo or Sonic. If a game like Banjo can exist without beeing accused of depravity or something for its artstyle, neither should Dust be.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Cell Shading.

Wind Waker is the worst looking 3D Zelda game by far because of it.

Last edited:

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
General fantasy stuff. Swords and shields, dragons, magic, ect. Elder Scrolls, WoW, that type of shit. Just never liked it. I know it's a big part of gaming too but just don't like that setting.

Oddly enough though Dragon Quest doesn't abide by this for me. Love that series.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
3DS JPRG Chibi style.

They all look more or less the same. It doesn't even look like an actual art style, more like a "compromise" style to implement 3D models with as few Polygons as possible. Plus we're usually talking really bad performance here.

LoL_Oct082015_20.jpg

dragon-quest-7_2760621.jpg

Bravely-Default-Fairys-Effect.jpg

croppedimage1201631-WVW69j3DbxUdki9Deh.png

Give me beautiful 2D pixel art over this any day.

I also agree with OP on this weird 2D animation.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
The big head big eyes anime style, even the supposedly good ones annoy me, I just don't understand it, looks like some kids TV show but is often full of less kid friendly content as well. Just make up your mind who this style is aimed at!

Jan 21, 2019
Thank you! I've always hated the term "fanservice". If your fans are so comprised of horny people that "fanservice" can be understood to refer to these people, you are a trash media maker. Undertale attacked senseless fanservice-esque violence, hopefully we can get a similar game about senseless sexual fanservice to expose how, just like senseless violence, it happens more in games than you'd notice.

From now on I will forever refer to fanservice as creepservice.

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
SQ2-noscale.jpg

900x.jpg

Games that use an anime/manga/cartoon artstyle with no cell shading. Its like they want their game to fail, and fail they did. I'm glad Monolith Soft realized you need cel shading. Its too late for Tri-Ace.