• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jml

Mar 9, 2018
I strongly dislike Binding of Isaac's whole aesthetic and it's one of the reasons I greatly prefer Enter the Gungeon to it.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The generic cartoony mobile game look. Think Clash of Clans and all of its copycats. It just looks so bland, and automatically makes me associate it with bottom-of-the-barrel content.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Anything that looks like an NES game or worse. I grew up on the NES, but I just don't like the look. I'll probably never play Shovel Knight or The Messenger (I'm aware of it's twist) because of how close they emulate it.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
I think Akira Toriyama is a fucking shit artist and I hate everything he has ever designed. I'm glad that Dragon Quest movie on Netflix didn't have his stupid fucking character faces.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
Cuphead - the art style and way it animates absolutely gives me the creeps.

It has a lot of hate in here but personally I love the 'anime' aesthetic. And as someone with problems telling faces apart giving characters different colour hair helps me a lot.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Any thin, spindly sprites that should be full of detail, but they have a pixel for a head, and everything is completely unreadable.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Gears of War. Everything about it from soldier designs, dull colors, can't stand looking at it so I don't play it.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
The only styles I'm not a fan of are the "hardcore punk" ones, like Rage 2 or Bleeding Edge (sort of in that realm).

It always hurts my heart to see people talk down on retro-inspired stuff. For a lot of developers, pixel-art as an art-style is what helps them be able to manage making their own art as well as design and program the game despite their artistic talent and have it still look decent enough.

I'm the asshole that likes Nidhogg 2's style more than 1 though.

KCsoLucky

Oct 29, 2017
- Most of the "Nintendo" cartoon look (Splatoon being the absolute worst, almost on a Psychonauts level for me -- but stuff like ARMS, Animal Crossing, etc. I find awful too)

This is the biggest one for me. "But they all have different art styles!" There are some basic design consitencies across a lot of them that are extremely off-putting to me to the point where I won't touch them. I would at least give ARMS and Splatoon a try otherwise(I do like 3 of the ARMS characters though). Not all colorful Nintendo games fall into this category for me, but certain ones that remind me of Nickelodeon cartoons plus Animal Crossing do. Also the "Mii" aesthetic such as Tomodachi Life.

There are many anime styles that I can't stand and many that I'm okay with, but Neptunia's is an instant no for me, as is whatever is going on with the Atelier series.

Whatever you call Astral Chain's style.

Darkest Dungeon.

Tearaway.

It's so on-brand for so many posts to say things like "hyper realism" and then go on to cite Naughty Dog. Uncharted is stylized, it's not a realistic looking series. Gears, Assassin's Creed and many others get quoted a lot, and very few are actually going for realism. It's just a veiled jab against AAA games. Senua's Sacrifice never gets brought up. With respect to environments, almost every game has fantastical looking environments or elements mixed in, besides some "modern combat" military shooters. Saying realistic is just as broad as saying anime.

Edit: also Shin Megami Tensei 4

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019
Western RPGs.

A lot of them just look so... Brown. Bland to me. I don't know how to explain it. Also, very white washed. To me at least.

One reason I couldn't get into Dungeons and Dragons.

aidan

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, a Nidhogg II thread.

nidhogg-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-21aug17

ss_a9828ffdd81304d68a92432713cefb10fc9a2f30.1920x1080.jpg

3273120-nidhogg2-14.jpg

Yoshi's Island SNES has a horrible art style.

zGHQb4O.gif

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Whatever Fortnite is, the same bland cartoon aesthetic every mobile game has. Immediate hard pass.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
Most jrpg aesthetics make me cringe. Sometimes its because of the actual on screen content such as huge eyes or crazy hairstyles & outfits, other times is by association as I simply cannot stand that saturday morning cartoon dialogue and that 1990's take on on "cool/edgy/quirky" that should have died with Sonic.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Whatever the hell you call shit like Sword and Sworcery. It looks like literally nothing. I cannot tell what I'm supposed to be looking at, ever. Risk of Rain managedot get me enough that it didn't bother me, but holy shit that super minimalist single pixel as legs and arms and shit art style is just godawful. I can't tell if it has no personality or the wrong kind.

2D
-When the characters lack weight. If it looks like a cursor is picking them up when they jump.

-2.5D There are exceptions, DCK Trilogy, Mischief Makers. But Im naturally inclined to dislike polygonal 2D.

3D

Badly animated stuff I guess.

I really only hate the cheap, no effort looking stuff in general. I'll give anything a try.
I'm kind of on board, though for the 2.5D thing I think it's more that I don't care for prerendered art/sprites in most games that do them. DKC on SNES did them fine for the time. KI too. But then some of the characters from Angel eyes are just awful. Thankfully the PS1 port of the game lets you unlock proper sprite version of those same characters.
Whatever the art style is for code vein and nier.

I don't dislike anime because persona looks cool and the ninja storm games have pleasing Artstyles.
I... you hate Nier's art style... but then praise goddamned Naruto games..? I'm confused.
#1.
Meatboy, Celeste and Hotline Miami are the exceptions. Otherwise, stop with this faux-retro shit.

#2.
ss_e07795994dfee2415b42140c68768362a54b11c6.600x338.jpg

No. Literally never, ever.
YOU DID NOT JUST THROW SHADE AT SHOVEL KNIGHT, GODDAMMIT.

The rest of #1 I'll give you because a few of them just look like crud, but Shovel Knight pulled off its throwback/8-bit style pretty much perfectly. #2........ there's already enough anime hate in this thread, I'm not going to try and defend any of it because nobody will ever like it who already hates it.

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
No.

I've had fun with even ugly games. The only thing that really turns me off is those 16 bit RPG remasters with terrible fonts. Not sure that's an aesthetic choice as much as a quick hack to have these games work for phones.

Aug 28, 2019
Extreme straight-down vertical perspective where you just see people's heads and shoulders. It gives me vertigo.

Harsh high-contrast visuals, e.g. stark black and white. It hurts my eyes.

Game Boy-esque resolution. I like pixel art just fine, but I don't understand the appeal of deliberately squeezing a modern PC game into a tiny, cramped 9x9 tilespace. Make the field of view bigger, jeez.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Nidhogg 2's art style owns in motion as you're playing. It's so hideous and fits the gameplay perfectly.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
-Modern moe-influenced generic anime style, with garish overly bright digital coloration, surfer haircuts everywhere and all the usual stuff. Also i don't necessarily hate sexualized designs, i just can't stand them when they look stupid and trashy.

-Tumblr art.

-Modern western cartoonish artstyles.

-2d high-res sprite based games that rely too much on skeleton/deformation/tweening techniques for their animations.

-Realistic looking western games that love to show off how much "unconventionally beauty" their protagonists are and how much splotchy/greasy their skin is.

-Trashy dudebro aesthetic.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe there's an exception somewhere, but I can't think of any sub-240p pixel art indie games that I can stand to play.
There just aren't enough pixels there to be legible, and it makes me feel like I should be 6ft away from my monitor. Are they made for phones or something?

And Dust: an Elysian Tail.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Chibi is ugly as fuck to me.

I don't understand how can these devs turn this beautiful art:

Cq8tr8U.png

To this ugly chibi hell hole

Switch_BravelyDefault2_01-1-1280x720.jpg

I'm not skipping this game tho.

In a more extreme chibi cases such as World of FF I did skip it even tho the combat was great based on the demo

e6b90104437217a14293b760bc36038be1a952e3f61eda6710d99008f18fb0ea.jpg

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Furry art. The game could even be great but I just can't take it seriously. If it's close to the look of Zootopia I can deal but the few instances it's come up it's always very 'Sonic Fan Art'-like.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Actually I forgot but I literally can't get myself to play Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night because of the aesthetics. I absolutely hate those cheap looking, bland backgrounds.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
When the sprites are puppet animated... I simply cannot play games where the characters are animated like this

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I love Toriyama's artwork in Dr. Slump and OG Dragon Ball. But with Dragon Quest and especially Dragon Ball Z Super he just comes up with the most bland and generic designs imaginable.
I think most of his main character designs are pretty bland, but the NPCs are usually wonderful varied for RPGs, whereas in a lot of other games all the NPCs look like clones. Fat people! Moustaches!

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't like Moe style anime games. I also would say the original Gears of War trilogy's character designs really turned me away from the series. It's not bad exactly, but it reminded me too much of 90's Liefeld style comics.

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't like Guilty Gear XX's sprite work for the longest time due to how few animations their attacks were. It's since been alleviated with Blazblue and the jump to 3D but it really turned me off.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
We've had this exact thread before, and my answer is the same: all those pedo-friendly anime games with their sexualized children and 1000 year-old dragons.

Garcia el Gringo

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Historical or Modern Realistic Militarism

Power-Fantasy "Realistic" Modern Warfare Militarism

Basically if it falls along the spectrum of looking like an ad for the US Army at first impression, keep that.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Almost anything anime. "Tales of", Dragon Quest, Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Code Vein, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade etc.

I'd never dismiss them entirely and call them bad games, but the style is so unappealing to me that I just have no interest in playing them.

Same, with very few exceptions (like Octopath Traveler).

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever the hell you call shit like Sword and Sworcery. It looks like literally nothing. I cannot tell what I'm supposed to be looking at, ever. Risk of Rain managedot get me enough that it didn't bother me, but holy shit that super minimalist single pixel as legs and arms and shit art style is just godawful. I can't tell if it has no personality or the wrong kind.

I'm kind of on board, though for the 2.5D thing I think it's more that I don't care for prerendered art/sprites in most games that do them. DKC on SNES did them fine for the time. KI too. But then some of the characters from Angel eyes are just awful. Thankfully the PS1 port of the game lets you unlock proper sprite version of those same characters.

I... you hate Nier's art style... but then praise goddamned Naruto games..? I'm confused.

YOU DID NOT JUST THROW SHADE AT SHOVEL KNIGHT, GODDAMMIT.

The rest of #1 I'll give you because a few of them just look like crud, but Shovel Knight pulled off its throwback/8-bit style pretty much perfectly. #2........ there's already enough anime hate in this thread, I'm not going to try and defend any of it because nobody will ever like it who already hates it.

You're confused why I would prefer Cyber2s art style compared to Nier? They are nothing alike and the naruto looks just like the anime just in a 3D video game. What's so confusing about that?

Oct 27, 2017
-Modern moe-influenced generic anime style, with garish overly bright digital coloration, surfer haircuts everywhere and all the usual stuff. Also i don't necessarily hate sexualized designs, i just can't stand them when they look stupid and trashy.

-Tumblr art.

-Modern western cartoonish artstyles.

-2d high-res sprite based games that rely too much on skeleton/deformation/tweening techniques for their animations.

-Realistic looking western games that love to show off how much "unconventionally beauty" their protagonists are and how much splotchy/greasy their skin is.

-Trashy dudebro aesthetic.
Im not trying to Jab at you ,but after reading this I'm curious what artstyles do you like cuz I'm sure this probably eliminates half of gaming XD
On topic tho ,I'm not very big on Chibi Artstyles outside Zelda : The Wind waker
Hyper realistic greyish artstyles I'm not too big on either.
One artstyle that completely turns me off tho is retro 8-bit graphics. I hold no nostalgia for the era and prefer 16 bit +
Oh and the Borderlands/Rage2 style of comedy and aesthetic turns me off

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair to World of FF, the chibi looks a lot better than the full size characters who just look awful, particularly the two main characters.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I didn't play any of the 'silhouette' based games from 2010 or so. They always screamed of being cheaply made and weirdly derivative.

Nidhogg 2 always reminds me of Gilbert, a snotty alien puppet TV host from 1990. This guy was a celebrity in the UK. Weird times

001880253a97cc13801bea6b1daa08e1.jpg