• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 1, 2017
Op doesn't specify JRPGs though.
No, OP doesn't specify JRPG's but does that change anything? I'm sure there are more games out there where the core party members are all male but the vast majority of games that I can think of that offer a party system are either mixed gender, custom character, or preset characters where the player chooses who to add.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
Whether it's non-fanservicey is questionable (default outfits are not, some armors can be), but if you choose a female MC the entire main cast of Xenoblade Chronicles X is female.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Most Atelier games don't really have much fanservice. There's more fanservice in Xenoblade Chronicles 1 than most of the PS3 Atelier games.
The mentor character across the Arland trilogy has a disturbing infatuation with young girls, tricks her students into wearing skimpy clothing, jokes about sexually molesting them in their sleep, and spikes one with a magic potion that de-ages her, because she (and, it seems, the devs) didn't want her to grow into an adult over the course of the three games.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I wonder if Magic Knight Rayearth might actually fit the bill. I've never played it though, so I don't know how fan servicey it is. Since it's from the 90's I suspect it's actually less bad than today...

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
One of the Touhou RPGs/Dungeon Crawlers? Then again they are FAN games not made by ZUN, but they usually aren't lewd / fanservice.

PonyStation

Banned
May 24, 2019
478221-blue-reflection-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles X if you avoid certain outfits.

Fortune Summoners with the exception of a not-at-all-bad hot springs bit (which was altered to include towels in the NA version).

CrossCode and Ikenfell has male party members but the main characters for both are women.

Edit: Actually Ikenfell has female and non-binary characters.

Deleted member 55822

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 10, 2019
7th Dragon is an RPG where you make up your own party. There are eight classes and it have an option to make your characters either a man or a girl, so you can absolutely make an all girls party there.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Checked out Blue Reflection and lol, there's like a 10 minute compilation of shower scenes.

This is a game about teenage girls.

Anime and JRPGs have desensitized us and lowered our standards.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I think I played a Magic Knight Rayearth adaptation for the SFC that didn't do anything fetishy. It's not the Saturn one with the Working Designs translation.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That second screen gives me heavy Shining Force vibes, was that intentional?

The game doesn't play like Shining Force, but yes, we were looking into ways to try to make the game stand out and we thought that the more cinematic look of Shining Force would work well with the Magical Girl Anime vibe so we used that as an inspiration.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Cthulu Saves the World had an all-female party option, I never played it because I was burnt out on the engine.

OP
OP
Solarc

Solarc

Sep 24, 2018
Dominican Republic
The fact that people are resorting to "this game, if you bench all the male characters" or "this game with custom characters, that you can roll all female" (both against the spirit of the thread) is so very telling. :D The OP asks for a game that has an all-female party by default, the equivalent of what FFXV does; not one where you can do that if you want.
Yeah, this is what I had in mind. But hey, at least there's some interesting-looking suggestions here even if not all of them fit the criteria.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if Magic Knight Rayearth might actually fit the bill. I've never played it though, so I don't know how fan servicey it is. Since it's from the 90's I suspect it's actually less bad than today...

their good rpg was translated by working designs though
and they uhh, were kinda like ahead of their time in being as bad as people are today

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
This is the game i want to make... i even have the idea ready.

I might just prototype this over the next weekends tbh.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The game doesn't play like Shining Force, but yes, we were looking into ways to try to make the game stand out and we thought that the more cinematic look of Shining Force would work well with the Magical Girl Anime vibe so we used that as an inspiration.
That's what I figured, based on the party placement and HUD, but I still dig it. I'm not into "magical girls" stuff actually but I may make an exception for this...

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
...I honestly can't think of any

Does indie stuff count? I recently played this (in-development) RPGM game called Lunatic Red. Don't know if the full game will commit to an all-women party, but the demo has only women or trans-women as party members

One of the Touhou RPGs? Then again they are FAN games not made by ZUN, but they usually aren't lewd / fanservice.

I was gonna suggest this (fanmade Touhou RPGs).

Unfortunately, most don't fit the criteria. Most are actually good about the "no fanservice" part, they just fail at "female party members only" criteria (and this is purely because the fangames with better production values tend to fit as many Touhou characters as possible, including the only two, named male characters in all of Touhou).

...but I do think one game doesn't fail the criteria: Genius of Sappheiros. I can't speak for the no fanservice part (haven't played it myself), but it seems to have a limited cast only consisting of female characters.

Also, the other fan RPG's should be given honorable mention. Labyrinth of Touhou 2 may have 1 playable male character, but it also still has 47 playable female characters with zero fanservice. Touhou Soccer and Fantasy Maiden Wars have a similar approach and they should be commended, even if they don't properly fit OP's criteria

One of the Touhou RPGs/Dungeon Crawlers?
Is this in specific reference to Genso Wanderer? Because, well, it's a good game buuut I'm not sure I'd recommend it with OP's criteria. Female characters? Yes. No fanservice? Ehhh, the game definitely has its share of anime bullshit. I definitely don't think any game with swimsuit DLC (like GW) is in the spirit of the thread

Nov 9, 2017
From little that I have played, the arland trilogy is maybe fineish. I mean there's a ton of fan service but compared to the sad state of the industry they are a bit better. Other ones, oof, I feel they got worse as they went on. Ryza is just disgusting.

The original version of Atelier Rorona was pretty raunchy. I think they toned it down in the DX version

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Is this in specific reference to Genso Wanderer? Because, well, it's a good game buuut I'm not sure I'd recommend it with OP's criteria. Female characters? Yes. No fanservice? Ehhh, the game definitely has its share of anime bullshit. I definitely don't think any game with swimsuit DLC (like GW) is in the spirit of the thread

I was thinking of Labyrinth of Touhou, but I think you can add Rinnosuke to the party later. The starting 5 are all female characters though.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure for the PS1 and DS, you play as a "quirky" village bumpkin who ends up on an adventure to rescue a prince. It is a monster collecting style game though so your party is made up of the main character plus any puppets you find. Since they're puppets technically there's nothing about gender involved but a lot of them are visually presented as girls or ambiguous (ex. stuffed animals) so there is that caveat. The game has a cutesy vibe all the way through but the main antagonist (also female) ends up feeling sexualized even by the games standards.

Yeah Rhapsody was the first thing that came to mind when this topic popped up.

Some of the responses here slay me though. Any Gust game is automatically disqualified on principle and Blue Reflection in particular is just a downright embarrassing response. It's probably the most blatantly voyeuristic game that company has ever made and that's saying something considering some of the games in their catalog.

EDIT - There's also Recettear to an extent. Some of the playable heroes you can hire for dungeons are male but outside of that it's pretty much Recette and Tear running the show throughout. Not sure whether it's "RPG" enough for you though.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
From little that I have played, the arland trilogy is maybe fineish. I mean there's a ton of fan service but compared to the sad state of the industry they are a bit better. Other ones, oof, I feel they got worse as they went on. Ryza is just disgusting.

The Dusk trilogy comes after Arland and scales back the fan service significantly. It was a massive improvement in that department. Everything after that does get worse again, though Lulua wasn't that bad from what I remember.

My actual answer to the OP's question, though: I think the Little Witch Academia game would work? Unless there's a male party member I'm not aware of. I did also hear the game isn't good, and it is based on a franchise so might not count for that reason.

EmmaDansTonU

Nov 27, 2020

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Hand of Fate 2 might be bit of a stretch since it's an unique mishmash of genres and you don't unlock them to begin with, but it provides pretty good options for companion women. DLC also adds an elderly bounty huntress lady.

ec5b6fe38a81b7e9b5909018242a51efe075ab3d.jpg

handfate2_2227283b.jpg

Design of female player character is neat as well, a warrior woman with amazonian build without any fanservice to speak of.

xkl4zlzm7b8s65otqgqi.jpg

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
of all the Atelier games, Ayesha is the one that comes closest to fullfilling this thread's requeriments.

main cast is mainly female characters (there's like 5+ playable female characters and just 2 guys total and they appear late game), their default outfits are pretty normal and they got no fanservicey alts and there's almost no fanservice for most of the game (you have to get pretty far into side events to find a hot spring scene and it's just 2 characters in it. there's some suggestive convos sometimes but everyone involved in those is a grown adult)

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I was gonna say xenoblade chronicles x with Elma and Lin as your party members. But just looking but up now, I forgot that Doug joins your party afterwards as well.

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
OP, I was thinking about this all weekend, and I think I've got a good winner here!

Hero Hours Contract

This game is a strategy RPG about a team of three magical girls who decide to unionize. The game is split between completing levels and negotiating for higher wages and more vacation time. I'd highly recommend it.

There's another indie game that directly fits your specs but because it was designed by a TERF, I can't in good conscious recommend it.