• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I lost my personal list, so I don't have much to go with.

I was thinking maybe ResetEra has a compilation list of respectable gaming journalists out there, neatly labeled, and such. It is, after all, the internet.

If not, I can try my best to compile the ones you know about, deemed information worthy, is really good at the depth of investigations in the past, and has garnered a following. I'm okay with trustyworthy journalists, but shady company, because I only deem the qualities of the journalist, not based on the reputation of the company the journalist works at.

I'm very biased towards anything Nintendo-related contents and game development side of things, but I think it would be nice if I create a thread dedicated for everyone to share their lists, to follow up on the gaming industry as a whole.

Here's my poorly-written list off the top of my head in alphabetical order. I welcome any contributions to help me get back my list, and will add them slowly I guess, since I'm the OP anyway...

(EDIT: Also, please let me know where they usually lurk, so I can correctly categorize them in the list below.)

Kotaku:

Jason Schreier (jschreier )

GameInformer

Imran Khan

Twitter:
Amanda Farough
Ben Moore (Easy Allies)
Cecilia D'Anastasio
Emily Rogers
Emma Kent
@hobbesenero
Imran Khan
Japanese Nintendo
Jeremy Penter
Kirk McKeand
Liam Robertson
Mike Futter
Takashi Mochizuki

YouTube:

Easy Allies (Ben Moore)
GameXplain
Gamers Nexus
LinusTechTips
Spawn Wave

Waypoint:

Austin Walker
Patrick Klepek

Last edited:

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did Schreier report on the whole THQ fiasco?

Oct 27, 2017
Ben Moore. One of the most open-minded, reasonable, and enthusiastic journalists in gaming today. The one member of Easy Allies I respect the most.

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing I have ever crowd funded or Parteoned are The Easy Allies.

They have earned my respect and my $84

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
ACG
Easy Allies
Worth a Buy (to an extent, when he's not spending half of a review trashing a game because "it's a console port" or "I can't rebind my keys")
AngryJoe (if you have time to watch an hour long review of a game that should only take 10 minutes to do, at best)
Podquisition

That's about it

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Depends what you're looking for. If you're wanting reporters that will find the big stories (as opposed to it just coming to them), Waypoint's Patrick Klepek and Kotaku's Jason Schreier are two. EDIT: And Cecilia D'Anastasio from Kotaku who received an award in digital news from the Writer's Guild of America for her reporting on sexism at Riot Games.

If you're also looking for good critics and analysts, that list gets bigger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
A bunch of obvious ones have already been listed, the Waypoint bunch (Austin and Patrick) get my vote of course, Jason Schreir too. I'd like to add:

Cecilia D'Anastasio
Emma Kent

Also not really journalist, as he makes documentaries, but Danny O'Dwyer should absolutely be on your list

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Depends what you're looking for. If you're wanting reporters that will find the big stories (as opposed to it just coming to them), Waypoint's Patrick Klepek and Kotaku's Jason Schreier are two.

If you're also looking for good critics and analysts, that list gets reasonably bigger.

Just respectable journalists, no need for analysts and critics. :D

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Most of them. Spread the love.

Also this.

I think you have to dig deeper to expose compromised game journalists.

Everyone has their own style, from strictly comedic to strictly academic and everything in between. Many wearing several hats in the continuum (i.e. Jeff Gerstmann).

But I get the sense that most anyone* willing to devote their livelihood to such an unforgiving and unappreciative vocation like games coverage is doing it for the sheer passion of the sport.

* gass-lighting alt-right fools aside (but hey, I guess they serve an audience too).

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. Weird thread. Not sure I like the implication that most games journalists aren't 'respectable' (whatever that actually means). I know you didn't mean it this way, but there is an echo of Gamergate about that sort of phrasing.

Also- basically everyone at Kotaku is brilliant. I hope the 'shady company' comment wasn't about them. Sick of seeing unfounded anti-Kotaku stuff on ERA.

Just respectable journalists, no need for analysts and critics. :D

What does this mean?

Nov 1, 2017
Great topic by the way. What a tightrope.

It's clear that some journalists don't actually play the games, and just write outrageous headlines for clickbait.

If you want an example, you should google search 'Spider-Man ps4 gets the worst game review ever'

edit* I like reading Jason Schreier's pieces and hearing Ben Moore's take on things.

Last edited:
OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Hmm. Weird thread. Not sure I like the implication that most games journalists aren't 'respectable' (whatever that actually means). I know you didn't mean it this way, but there is an echo of Gamergate about that sort of phrasing.

Also- basically everyone at Kotaku is brilliant. I hope the 'shady company' comment wasn't about them. Sick of seeing unfounded anti-Kotaku stuff on ERA.

What does this mean?
I'm mostly following reporters, or news. Just news in general.

When I think of "analysts", I mainly think of business insiders, financials, the market, the sales numbers, and business side of the corporations.

When I think of "critics", I mainly think of video game reviews, gameplay, the discussion of whether a game is good or bad, and such.

For "analysts" and "critics" I think those are fine for me, but it is not what I wanted for this thread.

EDIT: I didn't see your edit.

You're right about "respectable journalist" part. It's not clear for others. I should be saying, "known for investigative journalism", not respectable.

And no, I was referring to a media company in the past who a small journalist uncovered from shady things in the parent company, but that's outside of the gaming industry. It's definitely not Kotaku or other places, maybe I should remove that line.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keep them coming, I'm slowly adding them all.

Yes, I admit that 100% positively blatantly correct. :D
Well now it's getting better. I don't know if he counts as a journalist but Kotaku's Tim Rogers might make some of my favorite gaming content ever. (And even if he doesn't count you put Linus on there so...)

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm mostly following reporters, or news. Just news in general.

When I think of "analysts", I mainly think of business insiders, financials, the market, the sales numbers, and business side of the corporations.

When I think of "critics", I mainly think of video game reviews, gameplay, the discussion of whether a game is good or bad, and such.

For "analysts" and "critics" I think those are fine for me, but it is not what I wanted for this thread.

I really don't think there is anywhere near enough video game news for anyone to simply be a 'news reporter'. Jason and Cecilia from Kotaku may do big reports about the industry etc, but a lot of their work is also analysis of games themselves. Most video game news is press releases and leaks, nothing more.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
It's ridiculous that Jeff Gerstmann hasn't been mentioned yet, or anyone currently at GB for that matter.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
It's the only place I follow about the PC industry in general. But hopefully someone tells me other alternatives. :D

I follow him as well, but I now that whatever he will "teach" me in 15 minutes I can learn in 2 minutes here. So if your goal is to know what is new, better to keep up with the few PC OT we have here.

I cant suggest anything else because I'm not into PC gaming.

Deleted member 34618

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Jim Sterling should be on your list. Technically he's probably more commentary than journalism but so are most of the people you've listed.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
It's ridiculous that Jeff Gerstmann hasn't been mentioned yet, or anyone currently at GB for that matter.
I love them, but this thread is about game journalists in a news breaking sense, I feel. When is the last time you've seen any of them break any news? They're awesome, but that's just not what they do, at least not since Patrick and Austin left.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Well now it's getting better. I don't know if he counts as a journalist but Kotaku's Tim Rogers might make some of my favorite gaming content ever. (And even if he doesn't count you put Linus on there so...)

Sure. Added.

I really don't think there is anywhere near enough video game news for anyone to simply be a 'news reporter'. Jason and Cecilia from Kotaku may do big reports about the industry etc, but a lot of their work is also analysis of games themselves. Most video game news is press releases and leaks, nothing more.

(hmmms)

Now that you mentioned it, I guess I got the whole "journalism" part completely wrong...

Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Someone pointed out Jeff is more towards gameplay reviews. Sorry, but I'll have to remove him.

I follow him as well, but I now that whatever he will "teach" me in 15 minutes I can learn in 2 minutes here. So if your goal is to know what is new, better to keep up with the few PC OT we have here.

I cant suggest anything else because I'm not into PC gaming.

I see. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I love them, but this thread is about game journalists in a news breaking sense, I feel. When is the last time you've seen any of them break any news? They're awesome, but that's just not what they do, at least not since Patrick and Austin left.

I want to apologize and say I got everything wrong about gaming journalists. :(

Liam1884

Oct 30, 2017
Sure. Added.

EDIT: Someone pointed out Jeff is more towards gameplay reviews. Sorry, but I'll have to remove him.

You don't seem to know what you actually want from this thread.

You add Tim Rogers to your list and take off Jeff Gerstmann. Tim Rogers is primarily focused on reviews.

Honestly, I don't think you actually know what you're looking for. Videogame journalists that purely focus on news simply don't exist. They all dabble in reviews and analysis.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
You don't seem to know what you actually want from this thread.

You add Tim Rogers to your list and take off Jeff Gerstmann. Tim Rogers is primarily focused on reviews.

Honestly, I don't think you actually know what you're looking for. Videogame journalists that purely focus on news simply don't exist. They all dabble in reviews and analysis.

I really don't. That's why I thought maybe the internet knows more than I do, and I'm just adding them to the list.

I'm removing Tim Rogers then. Thanks.

gaiages

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I really don't. That's why I thought maybe the internet knows more than I do, and I'm just adding them to the list.

I'm removing Tim Rogers then. Thanks.

The thing is, game journalism as is doesn't support anyone to *just* be an investigative reporter. Even Jason and Patrick write reviews and opinion pieces.

Sites have to exist off ad revenue and views and most sites can't afford a writer to go through full investigative pieces when the unfortunate truth is other stuff gets the same or more views for A LOT less work.

If you're trying to grab a list of writers that have done investigative pieces that's fine but you won't find anyone that does solely that.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
The thing is, game journalism as is doesn't support anyone to *just* be an investigative reporter. Even Jason and Patrick write reviews and opinion pieces.

Sites have to exist off ad revenue and views and most sites can't afford a writer to go through full investigative pieces when the unfortunate truth is other stuff gets the same or more views for A LOT less work.

If you're trying to grab a list of writers that have done investigative pieces that's fine but you won't find anyone that does solely that.

Thank you for the information.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I lost my personal list, so I don't have much to go with.

I was thinking maybe ResetEra has a compilation list of respectable gaming journalists out there, neatly labeled, and such. It is, after all, the internet.

If not, I can try my best to compile the ones you know about, deemed information worthy, is really good at the depth of investigations in the past, and has garnered a following. I'm okay with trustyworthy journalists, but shady company, because I only deem the qualities of the journalist, not based on the reputation of the company the journalist works at.

I'm very biased towards anything Nintendo-related contents and game development side of things, but I think it would be nice if I create a thread dedicated for everyone to share their lists, to follow up on the gaming industry as a whole.

Here's my poorly-written list off the top of my head in alphabetical order. I welcome any contributions to help me get back my list, and will add them slowly I guess, since I'm the OP anyway...

(EDIT: Also, please let me know where they usually lurk, so I can correctly categorize them in the list below.)

Kotaku:

Jason Schreier (jschreier )

GameInformer

Imran Khan

Twitter:
Amanda Farough
Ben Moore (Easy Allies)
Cecilia D'Anastasio
Emily Rogers
Emma Kent
@hobbesenero
Imran Khan
Japanese Nintendo
Jeremy Penter
Kirk McKeand
Liam Robertson
Mike Futter
Takashi Mochizuki

YouTube:

Easy Allies (Ben Moore)
GameXplain
Gamers Nexus
LinusTechTips
Spawn Wave

Waypoint:

Austin Walker
Patrick Klepek
Well my sincere thanks for having me on the list man. Seriously.