• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Does Ranma 1/2 count? He's got women throwing themselves at him left and right, but there are another couple male characters.

Dinskugga

Nov 6, 2017
Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano ), Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru , Zero no Tsukaima

dont know if everyone counts as harem. but i feel they have the formula

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Tenchi Universe + the movies (Tenchi in Love, Tenchi Forever) is pretty legit. It also really gets close to actually having Tenchi end up with someone and writing the women as people instead of fan-service props.
Mini_TmiL2.jpg

It's telling that it was directed by a different person than a lot of the other Tenchi shows and comics.

Tenchi Forever nails that late spring rainy sunday vibe.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I was really invested in Love Hina back in the day, eventhough it was pretty frustrating towards the end and ... very weird how the main characters started religious insignia (guessing the author turned catholic at some point and wanted to spread the word or something?) but still, thought it was great

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I watched this so long ago but I remember enjoying the way the story wrapped up. This would also be my pick as the perfect one that I've seen personally.

I mean, thematically, it really fits he fell for the only girl that behaved out of his 'knowledge' and he was unable to predict; I just liked other girl much more lol

Oct 25, 2017
My wife tried to argue this but it doesn't really hold up when rather than wish fulfillment it's just a string of wish destruction. For everyone.

I was really invested in Love Hina back in the day, eventhough it was pretty frustrating towards the end and ... very weird how the main characters started religious insignia (guessing the author turned catholic at some point and wanted to spread the word or something?) but still, thought it was great
I was thinking of Love Hina too, but I'm not sure if that's just because it was my first exposure to the idea.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, despite thinking it wouldn't hold up two decades later, Tenchi (Universe + the two good movies specifically) is fine as far as harem properties go.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

This would be my answer.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The manga Umi no Misaki would be my pick as other ones that come to mind have already been said. It's complete with a satisfactory ending as well.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
My wife tried to argue this but it doesn't really hold up when rather than wish fulfillment it's just a string of wish destruction. For everyone.

Definitely true. I'd argue that NGE has a harem setup but doesn't fall into the traps you normally expect from the genre (wish fulfillment of the main character, and lack of meaningful character development). Basically, what sets it apart from standard harem animes is that it's good. :P

I enjoyed Love Hina when I read it ages ago but I was ~14 at the time and hardly remember any of it.

Did more than 1 person (and even then, debatable) in NGE have romantic feelings for Shinji?

The harem candidates here are Asuka, Rei, Misato, and Kaworu. Of those, Kaworu clearly has romantic feelings for Shinji and is very open about them. The feelings of the other three are more complicated, but all of them have sexual overtones, two of them kiss Shinji, and the third (Rei) considers her relationship with him special.

I obviously see that NGE isn't a typical harem anime by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think its setup draws from the genre, and it occasionally leans into the genre's tropes to advance the serious, psychological exploration of its characters (the scene in Rei's apartment being the most egregious example).

Cajun

Oct 28, 2017
Does Molester Man count as a harem? Been a long time since I read it but I think there were multiple women.

Just read that.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
People will probably get more out of "reverse-harems" more than harems. Most I've watched with my wife give off Otome vibes, and though the men usually follow tropes, they usually are built upon and more than just surface-level character types.

Talking about Tenchi... is it ever revealed who he actually gets with? Its been so long since I read or watched any of it.
Depends on the version, and while nothing is never definitively stated, Tenchi Forever heavily implies one.
ryokosketch.JPG

I swear I saw drawings somewhat recently that showed Tenchi's children from the author.
He has them with just about everyone. The weirdest thing that stuck out to me was that he had the most with Ryoki or however you spell the cabbit's name. That's right. The damn cabbit.

KDReyes92

Oct 25, 2017
I am of the opinion that Harem is always a net negative to any story.

It has never made something better unless that story was already bottom of the barrel garbage and at least having multiple eye candies to look at brought you some enjoyment.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tenchi Universe + the movies (Tenchi in Love, Tenchi Forever) is pretty legit. It also really gets close to actually having Tenchi end up with someone and writing the women as people instead of fan-service props.
Mini_TmiL2.jpg

It's telling that it was directed by a different person than a lot of the other Tenchi shows and comics.
Ryoko GOAT Waifu

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Ranma 1/2 is the best.
Ranma 1/2 isn't really a harem, at least not how it's between really been defined over the last 20 years. There are relationships outside of Ranma's to start. For two, Ranma isn't just reluctant which is common in happens, but actively does not want to be with most of the men and women who are in love with him.

At best, you could call it a proto-harem, since harems 'refined' a lot of the tried that it pioneered, but it's more of a romantic clusterfuck than anything.

OP
OP
Jadow

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
Some sick people recommending School Days...I see you

Actually I watched this years ago thinking it was some Slice of Life anime...

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
People will probably get more out of "reverse-harems" more than harems. Most I've watched with my wife give off Otome vibes, and though the men usually follow tropes, they usually are built upon and more than just surface-level character types.

I swear I saw drawings somewhat recently that showed Tenchi's children from the author.
He has them with just about everyone. The weirdest thing that stuck out to me was that he had the most with Ryoki or however you spell the cabbit's name. That's right. The damn cabbit.
There are actually several different "creators" of Tenchi, with wildly different views of the character and the women. They actually had a big falling out and sort of all just did their own thing with the property for awhile. Hiroshi Negishi handled the Universe series and its spin-off films, while others took the property into... less savory... territory.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely true. I'd argue that NGE has a harem setup but doesn't fall into the traps you normally expect from the genre (wish fulfillment of the main character, and lack of meaningful character development). Basically, what sets it apart from normal harem animes is that it's good. :P

The harem candidates here are Asuka, Rei, Misato, and Kaworu. Of those, Kaworu clearly has romantic feelings for Shinji and is very open about them. The feelings of the other three are more complicated, but all of them have sexual overtones, two of them kiss Shinji, and the third (Rei) considers her relationship with him special.

I obviously see that NGE isn't a typical harem anime by any stretch of the imagination, but I do think its setup draws from the genre, and it occasionally leans into the genre's tropes to advance the serious, psychological exploration of its characters (the scene in Rei's apartment being the most egregious example).
I guess even if I could consider all of those as romantic they seem like more fleeting feelings, they come and go.
The strongest (Kaworu) is there and gone within the span of a single episode
I can't recall where it seemed like everyone simultaneously was fighting for Shinji's attention.

The movies may change things a bit more, haven't seen them in a while.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo

Okay after reading your post and the other one I decided to try my best to get the answer and you are absolutely right... WTF...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do harems with female protagonists count? If so, I liked what I saw of Yona of the Dawn. I've only seen the anime, but it made for a good watch.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Plenty of decent shoujo offerings. Helps that there's usually a somewhat sensible plot tying all the cute M&F hijinks together as well as more developed characters.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
There are actually several different "creators" of Tenchi, with wildly different views of the character and the women. They actually had a big falling out and sort of all just did their own thing with the property for awhile. Hiroshi Negishi handled the Universe series and its spin-off films, while others took the property into... less savory... territory.

Learn something new every day! I figured different studios just went with their own interpretations based off one source.

themoreyouknow.gif

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think the hottest one on r/manga right now is The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You. I agree with 5Toubon as well which ended fairly recently.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Is that a harem anime? From what I remember only one of the guys had any real romantic interest in the protagonist. I always considered it to be more of a high school comedy.
At the very least one of the twins is interested if my memory serves me right.

No that actual romantic feeling seems to be the defining factor to know if an anime is "harem" given the number of people I've seen say that Re:Zero is 'harem' ( and by that logic I would even call Your Lie in April, harem ) .

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
I can't recall where it seemed like everyone simultaneously was fighting for Shinji's attention.

Yeah, I don't think there is one. I guess this goes to whether wish fulfillment is a requirement for a harem anime, or whether it's enough to just have a 1 protagonist : multiple love interest setup and then have it go in whatever direction you want.

In the final episode, there is a brief "alternate universe" skit that is 110% conventional harem anime. Asuka is the childhood friend who harbors secret feelings for Shinji, Rei is the transfer student who bumps into Shinji and accidentally flashes him, and Misato is the hot teacher.

I'd argue that's pretty good evidence that the creators of NGE were aware that their work was related in some way to the harem genre, while also being aware that what they were creating was definitely not typical of the genre.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
I remember loving Bakarina because of how hilarious it is.

My_Next_Life_as_a_Villainess%2C_All_Routes_Lead_to_Doom%21_light_novel_volume_1_cover.jpg

Here's the wikipedia description for it.
Catarina Claes, the young daughter of a noble family, one day bumps her head and regains memories of her past life as an otaku. It is then that she realizes she has been reborn into the world of the otome game Fortune Lover, reincarnated as the game's villainess who, regardless of what route the player took in the original game, is doomed to be either killed or exiled. In order to avoid these routes that lead to doom, Catarina begins taking countermeasures to try and avoid things going the same way as the game. This, however, ends up having unexpected consequences on her relations with the other characters of the game's world.

The main character is an endearing idiot who unintentionally manages to get a harem while trying to avoid a future death. She also never at any point realizes she has a harem. It's not really a traditional harem though since both men and women are attracted to her and all harem moments are generally treated as comedic so I'm not sure if it counts for the OP.

Oct 27, 2017

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
+1 for Bakarina.

Otherwise you can go read "The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You".
It's basically a satire on the harem genre while being a harem.

There's two big reasons why pretty much every harem story ends up shitty:
#1 No ending. Most of these don't even have an end other than "and the crazy things they all do went on forever more~". I still remember how the Shuffle anime shook everyone by having an actual ending. People lost their shit because it was THAT unexpected.
#2 Less of a desire to make a compelling story with good characters and more of an author's sexual fantasy on display.

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata (Saekano ), Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabukome wa Machigatteiru , Zero no Tsukaima

dont know if everyone counts as harem. but i feel they have the formula
He also said good and these are 'okay' at best.