• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Obviously in the past weve had things like TLG and what would become FFXV but in terms of non-vapourware games that are in dev, is avatar that one thats been going the longest? Seems like its been 6-7 years since we first heard about it and the MMO probably wont release until the next movie.

People talk about BG&E2 as Ubisofts eternal development game but I feel like Avatar takes the spot.

doyneamite

Oct 26, 2018
How do you know Avatar is in active developement?

I asked Jason Schreier back in May if we would see the game at the Ubisoft show that happened in July and this is what he said:

It didn't show up there but they are having another Ubisoft Forward next month so hopefully we'll see it then.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Duke Nukem Forever took 15 years. It got so many annual vaporware awards from Wired, that they tried to award it the vaporware "Lifetime Achievement Award" so they could get it off the list and move on from the joke, and the final game still didn't come out for a few more years after THAT.

Seven years is nothing.

As for current games? Star Citizen, which is almost definitely going to surpass Duke Nukem, unless the company goes bankrupt and the game gets sold for parts before then.

Last edited:

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
it's pretty crazy we're 1 year away from the 10th anniversary of Duke Nukem Forever's release and that's still only 66% of the length of time it was in development.

i've always wondered what game would fill those shoes since it was fun seeing the meme for a few years (the classic list that had events that took less time than DNF's development time and stuff that had happened since the game's dev started was one of my favorites)

Rocky Road

Jun 1, 2018
I'm confused, what Avatar are we talking about? Even after a search I'm so confused. A new IP or James Cameron Avatar getting a second game adaption? I don't even remember this being announced, when was it announced?

OP
OP
Glimpse_Dog

Glimpse_Dog

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm confused, what Avatar are we talking about? Even after a search I'm so confused. A new IP or James Cameron Avatar getting a second game adaption? I don't even remember this being announced, when was it announced?

Avatar MMO/GaaS from Massive (Division devs) planned to launch alongside movie sequel.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I asked Jason Schreier back in May if we would see the game at the Ubisoft show that happened in July and this is what he said:

It didn't show up there but they are having another Ubisoft Forward next month so hopefully we'll see it then.

maybe don't listen to that guy anymore lol.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i was under the assumption they've been more or less "sitting on it" until the new movie comes out

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how Ubisoft felt when Cameron delayed the first sequel by yet another year lol.

BTW OP this project was seemingly announced in 2017 so I'm not sure why you think it was in development forever.

What even will this Avatar game be?
I assume it will be a lot like The Division.

Alienware

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Italy
I wonder how Ubisoft felt when Cameron delayed the first sequel by yet another year lol.

BTW OP this project was seemingly announced in 2017 so I'm not sure why you think it was in development forever.

I assume it will be a lot like The Division.

Yeah, now that I looked it up doesn't seem that far away.

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2013 and is still in very active development, Beyond Good & Evil 2 has been reported as in development for more than 10 years so that one definitely takes the cake.

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Theres an Avatar game in development? Like based on James Cameron´s Avatar? Awesome.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Man, fuck this. I started reading the thread and got hyped thinking I missed hearing about Ubisoft making an Avatar: TLA game lol.

I don't care about Dances with Space Wolves.

But to the point of the OP - I always assumed a lot of games that take this long are just put on hold for part of the time and weren't actually in active development the entire time.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

I should have been clearer that this was just a guess, not based on inside information. I'm surprised that we haven't seen any of this game because it's been in development for so long. Although I do believe it's tied to the movie release dates in some way which helps explain that.

ZaddyMattty

Dec 4, 2017
New York City
I should have been clearer that this was just a guess, not based on inside information. I'm surprised that we haven't seen any of this game because it's been in development for so long. Although I do believe it's tied to the movie release dates in some way which helps explain that.

It almost certainly is, as is the release of the original movie in 4K UHD.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I had to read a lot of replies to understand what this thread was about. I had no idea if it was a James Cameron's Avatar game or an Avatar The Last Airbender game. Either way didn't know this existed at all.