• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TheDanger

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I watch this a lot, still gives me chills, nothing else comes close. The ad campaign of Halo 3 in general was the best ever, it's absolutely perfect.

What are your favorite video game ads?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
H3 marketing was insane. Shit was everywhere. It hasn't been topped since.

a.wd

Oct 26, 2017
UK
No, imo the best most hair on the back of my neck advertising ever. Along with htt some of the best advertising ever

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The entire AD campaign for Halo 3 was amazing. The reveal was great, all the trailers.

It was a good time.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It was certainly a fantastic ad campaign as a whole. Still one of the best, if not the best.

Great way to bring the universe to life.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017

I watch this a lot, still gives me chills, nothing else comes close. The ad campaign of Halo 3 in general was the best ever, it's absolutely perfect.

I'm not even a big Halo fan, but that Believe ad is certainly one of the best ever for a game. I struggle to think of a better one right now.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017

If this ad had come out today it would have 20 million views compared to 2.1 million views. Things have changed since 2007.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even a big Halo fan, but that Believe ad is certainly one of the best ever for a game. I struggle to think of a better one right now.
I'm kind of the opposite: a huge Halo fan, but I find Believe underwhelming. I think it's an amazing concept and well executed, but I feel like I "appreciate" it in an artistic sense more than I actually enjoy it. It's too long and dull for me.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Halo 3 had the best marketing of any game and a game that somehow matched and surpassed the marketing.

What a game.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
That entire Halo 3 rollout is unmatched to this day
Yep.

The game is great, and never lived up to the expectations I had after watching the "Believe" ad over and over, but wow... That campaign pulled out all of the stops and had this incredible polish and production quality.

Truly excellent and has never been surpassed, nostalgia glasses removed and all.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
Not my fav Halo but Halo 3 marketing was incredible. From the Blomkamp shorts to the ARG, it was such a trip following the hype train gather speed all the way to release.

dyst

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see this mentioned often and every time, I go back to look at it thinking maybe I missed something. It's a creative ad, but it's pretty boring.

Ready2Rokk

Oct 29, 2017
This may not mean a whole lot if you weren't around when this ad was released, but it was awesome with the imminent release of one of the biggest games ever.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
It was pretty good, but as far as Halo ads go, We Are ODST and Deliver Hope were perhaps even better.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Not just Believe but those fucking museum ads for Halo 3.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Amazing, and genuinely emotional

I like the reach one too, but the hype of halo 3 can never be forgotten. Best ad for one of the greatest games of all time

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was a great ad campaign. But it's funny how much Halo 5's ad campaign is looked down on for being unrepresentative of the final game when the same can be said for Halo 3's marketing.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to mention the Gears Mad World trailer, but it's been covered. Believe is still better though. The Dead Island trailer is a good one too.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I'd say it is #1. The Dead Island trailer is probably my second.

This is my favorite, I'd put it above the Halo one because it's more emotional and tells a story within the ad (if only the game was like the ad).

Another great one was for Civilization IV, mainly for this part;

So hilarious.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017

Nope. Because you posted it, I just watched it again for probably the 20th time, knowing exactly what would happen and when, and I still got chills.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was a great ad campaign. But it's funny how much Halo 5's ad campaign is looked down on for being unrepresentative of the final game when the same can be said for Halo 3's marketing.

Not really, Halo 3's ad campaign was exploring the unseen cost of the Covenant War that was never explored in the games through the eyes of normal people and soldiers. It wasn't mis-representing Halo 3's story.

Halo 5 literally had ads of the main characters interacting in ways that never happened and completely lied about the two character leads interactions and motivations.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

68561_0.jpg

Ghost305

Banned
Jan 6, 2018
GoW Ascension's Super Bowl is among the best of that type of ad.

That said, I think these ads do more harm than good. Most of them sell you abstract experiences/feelings that you never truly feel while actually playing (Dead Island being a prime offender).