• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
It's real good. But I'm also the madman that doesn't think bleach truly go downhill until after the Inchigo vs. Ulquiorra fight. The arrancar act is filled with amazing art in the manga and some of the best shonen fight scenes in the anime.
This right here. And honestly, I think the last arc (the one with previous reaper guy) was an improvement over the prior arc with Aizen. Bleach had many downfalls, but I still love it. It's biggest sin is
how little impact Gin's turn on Aizen was. Such a fun villain and overall character with a heartfelt turn that amounted to little.

Also, put me on list that thinks Chunin Exams are overrated. Maybe it is better in the manga, but it drags like a mother fucker in the anime.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
The 12 Temples arc and Hades Chapter Sanctuary from Saint Seiya are some of the GOAT shonen arcs. In fact Bleach's Soul Society Arc was inspired by the 12 Temples.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
I watched 63 episodes of Bleach waiting for it to get good. 🤷‍♀️

Saad

Oct 27, 2017
Fav ones to me:

1. Hunter x Hunter - Yorknew arc
2. Bleach - soul society arc (1-64)
3. Naruto - Konoha invasion

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
While YYH/HxH, JJK and even One piece are all substantially better manga than Bleach and all have more to say, from a purely hype-inducing, adrenaline pumping shonen progression perspective I think I agree. The way Kubo set up the power structures early on and played them against Ichigo's unsteady growth made for one of the most entertaining popcorn entertainment arcs I can think of. The kenpachi fight, followed closely by the byakuya fight, were super exciting to watch the first time through, particularly because there was a ton of setup before the drop. For me, I think the anime is even more hype as the music adds a lot.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Bleach had an excellent beginning. One thing it had was great pacing unlike a lot of other mentions. From introduction of characters to completion, the first two arcs hauled ass like it had purpose.

Sadly, it turned out it had no purpose and we were just moving fast.

Last edited:

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
While YYH/HxH, JJK and even One piece are all substantially better manga than Bleach and all have more to say, from a purely hype-inducing, adrenaline pumping shonen progression perspective I think I agree. The way Kubo set up the power structures early on and played them against Ichigo's unsteady growth made for one of the most entertaining popcorn entertainment arcs I can think of. The kenpachi fight, followed closely by the byakuya fight, were super exciting to watch the first time through, particularly because there was a ton of setup before the drop. For me, I think the anime is even more hype as the music adds a lot.
Which probably fucked with the series going on because it feels like Kubo realized he made Ichigo to strong to quickly and had to justify it onwards
Short term its great in the context of the arc long term probably shouldn't have him one shot lieutenants and beat some of the stronger captains

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I really enjoyed the start of Bleach.

That said, when it comes to the best, I don't think anything will ever be able to top Water 7 - Ennies Lobby arc from One Piece for me. It's just too good.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Which probably fucked with the series going on because it feels like Kubo realized he made Ichigo to strong to quickly and had to justify it onwards
Short term its great in the context of the arc long term probably shouldn't have him one shot lieutenants and beat some of the stronger captains
Oh definitely. Bleach should have just ended after the first arc lol.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I think you just said what I couldn't put into words.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even sure it's top ten.

In no order above it I would put:
  1. Pain Invasion
  2. Impel Down/Marineford
  3. Water 7/Enies Lobby
  4. Chimera Ant
  5. Demon King Piccolo
  6. Elf Reincarnation
  7. Dark Tournament
  8. Death Note Part 1
  9. Goldy Pond
  10. Return to Shiganshina
Also shout outs to South America in Dr. Stone, the Future arc in Hitman Reborn, and the World Tournament in Eyeshield 21. I'd put Bleach somewhere in these ranks.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
I only like the first 20 episodes before they go to Soul Society. After that I started to despise Bleach because I can't stand the lore and world building.

Oct 28, 2017
This right here. And honestly, I think the last arc (the one with previous reaper guy) was an improvement over the prior arc with Aizen. Bleach had many downfalls, but I still love it. It's biggest sin is
how little impact Gin's turn on Aizen was. Such a fun villain and overall character with a heartfelt turn that amounted to little.

Also, put me on list that thinks Chunin Exams are overrated. Maybe it is better in the manga, but it drags like a mother fucker in the anime.

Thousand year blood war is better yeah, some great moments. It's just clear that Kubo Tite really didn't have a lot left to tell and that he didn't have an overall plan. Every act is just a new set of villians that seem impossible to beat at first, but in the end our hero's prevail.

That being said I'm SO ready for the return of the anime later this year. The animation looks good and now that they should be able to do things in their own pace, I'm expecting a tight show with some epic fights.

TortoiseTesticleOil

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 2, 2021
I hated those. There were only like 3 or 4 good episodes in the bunch. It's like episode 14 or something when bleach is in a competition with the dude with glasses, to see which one of them can kill more demons. And like episode 40 something where bleach is fighting the dude with the spiked hair that is super strong and muscular, kenpachi i think was the dudes name. And that's like 2 episodes. The rest I didn't enjoy it at all. So I guess for me, literally almost every other arc of practically every other shonen is better than bleach's.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
lol a handful of HxH, YYH and Naruto arcs are way better than most of Bleach's arcs. Bleach was actually pretty good til the Bount arc sure but not as high as the ones I mentioned.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
As far as introductory arcs, Naruto's Land of Waves was probably the best "this shit is real" arc in anime for me. When Zabuza shows up and puts pressure on Kakashi of all people you finally get the realization of what elite ninja fights really are and it's so gripping all the way until the end.

But it was all one hell of a setup for when Ichigo found out Aizen was so OP that he could cancel the main hero's theme into silence with one finger.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The Enies Lobby arc in One Piece... I mean the part where Robin says she wants to live and then there's the shot of the group on the rooftop, that was the first time I ever fist pumped to a Manga. Black and white pages never can get more hype than One Piece.

Enies Lobby is so good it even had the best opening

cHaotix

Oct 25, 2017
Although I thought Naruto and Bleach weren't that great overall, the intro arcs really were very entertaining. The land of Waves into the Chuunin Exam was peak Naruto, same with Rukia retrieval arc and Bleach. I'd say Naruto was better between the two if I had to chose. It's a shame what those two series became.

I'm primarily manga reader, since most of the good shonen anime in the 90s-2000s didn't have good anime adaptions in regards to pacing. For manga, I'd say other series like Eyeshield 21 and Slam Dunk have arcs that are at the peak of shonen writing. It's also crazy to think One Piece started before both Bleach and Naruto, yet is even better now than it was during East Blue.

PaladinCharge

Nov 17, 2017

Yeah I think Rock Lee vs Gaara really dominates that arc in people's minds. For my money it's the best part of the entire show, but the rest of the arc has some really boring non-tournament parts.

I watched the entire anime, 300+ episodes, my friend learned about this and asked me if I'd recommend it, and I looked at him and said... "Nah."

Lol yeah I am in the same boat. I'd watch the fansubbed episodes as they would come out, continually hoping it would reach the highs of those first 60 episodes. Suffice to say it did not. I guess it was a sunk-cost fallacy thing combined with the fact that I was younger and had way more time.