• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be thinking about replacing my Pixel 3 right now if the battery life wasn't getting really poor. I was definitely on the upgrade treadmill for a while, but I'm not really dissatisfied with what I've got anymore.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
I vary how long I have used phones. Ideally I would like to get a few years.

iphone 3gs for about 2 years (still have it but one day it stopped charging and now when I checked it a while back it just turned on and off at the apple logo. Probably needs a new battery and charging port)

Lumia 920 for around 2 or 3 years maybe? (one day I felt it get about 400 degrees when it was on the charging pad and it stopped working at all after that. Still have it somewhere)

Lumia 630 go phone or something, I don't remember exactly. Used it for maybe a few months then gave it to my mom after getting my next phone.

Nexus 6 for over 4 years probably. Was holding on to it for a while since there didn't seem to be a good replacement that wouldn't feel like a downgrade. (still have it and it works great but I replaced the battery twice and thought it was about time to move on)

Mi Mix 3 for around 6-7months (really loved the phone just a lot of little annoyances with miui plus I dropped it which put a tiny crack in the corner of the screen. Sold it a while back)

iPhone 7 for 3 or 4 months (was originally a company phone, still have it and it's pretty much like new besides the battery not being great)

Oneplus 7 pro is my current phone the last half year or so. Will probably use it a couple more years no problem since it is such a beast.

Last edited:

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Nexus 6 for over 4 years probably. Was holding on to it for a while since there didn't seem to be a good replacement that wouldn't feel like a downgrade. (still have it and it works great but I replaced the battery twice and thought it was about time to move on)

*Exactly* the same for the Nexus 6 for me lasted what felt like forever and with how well it worked and continued to work at such a low price nothing felt like an upgrade. I was the guy with the cracked phone screen because I refused to upgrade until it just quit. Finally did one day after an accidental drop in the parking lot.

Last edited:

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
My goal is generally 3-4 years or wait for a promo so me and my girlfriend can upgrade for a good price. Currently on an iPhone XR and see 0 reason to upgrade this year.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
For me it's worth it. Better battery, better camera and other improvements. Cost is just included with my phone bill anyway so I don't get that shock of paying for it all upfront.

Now my PC at home however.... Is still rocking a 2600k and other parts that's now 10 years old.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I use my phone until that's no longer possible. I've only ever owned 3 phones and only upgraded due to necessity (i.e the phone no longer working).

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I usually use my phones until they start to feel sluggish or are otherwise fairly worn physically. The issue is that I often buy "old" models which limits their lifespan.

For example, I bought my first iPhone in Oct 2010, a iPhone 4.

I replaced that phone in Sept 2013 as I felt it was starting to feel a bit sluggish and I wanted a better camera. About three years of ownership there.

I replaced it with an iPhone 5c. The iPhone 5c was launched alongside the 5s but contained the hardware from the year prior.

I replaced the iPhone 5c with an iPhone SE in March 2017 which would have been a 3.5 year ownership period. The issue is that the hardware itself was 4.5 years old, as it was based on the 2012 iPhone specs, so it felt more sluggish sooner.

Now I'm ready to replace my iPhone SE, a phone which is 3.5 years old to me, but 5 years old in hardware spec, being based on the iPhone 6s. The battery needs replacement, and if I replaced it I'd probably regain some lost performance in addition to its original battery life, but I'm ready for something fresh with a better camera anyway.

Folks that are talking about replacing their Xs or 11 are bonkers to me. Those are still crazy fast, crazy capable phones.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
The only reason for me to upgrade is battery capacity reduction over time, which is an issue considering the fact that 99% of phones have non-replaceable batteries. I put battery life at the top of my list of priorities, and when that starts to dwindle significantly I start considering a new phone. And that's unfortunate.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
It depends on support updates really and design to some extent. Apple is good with support ( a 2015 6s still gets ios14!) but I got a XR and my next one will be 13 or whenever notch goes away.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I go four years and could probably go longer (am tempted to do this because of the lack of 3.5mm). The only thing that happens in that time is that battery life gets worse, which is something that can be worked around with portable chargers (and in the case of covid lockdown it's basically a nonissue).

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still rocking my 6S+ right now, no way I'm upgrading every 2 years unless I'm passing down the previous phone to a relative.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I get new phone from work every 2 years. If I had to pay myself I would probably wait 4 years before changing.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Still using my Samsung Galaxy Edge 7, after 3 years. The battery is pretty shit, but I think I'll get another year of use out of it. I really don't care for having the latest phone anymore.

Infcabbage

Oct 28, 2017
Portland, Oregon
I held on to my 6 Plus/ 6 after the screen broke until the iPhone X came out and I'm never waiting that long between upgrades again, it was miserable. Luckily 7-8 didn't really have anything worth upgrading for, but a two year cycle seems to work pretty well for me. Get a nice camera and performance boost while the kinks from last year's model get ironed out.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I have the new iPhone SE 2000. Before that I had the normal iPhone SE from years ago and I bought that used from Groupon. The old one still works and I use it as an additional wifi device for internet browsing.

I wouldn't have upgraded if the battery on the old one lasted more than an hour.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Its funny when I was younger (and had considerably less money) I would be all about the new phone. I got the iPhone 3G on an absurd monthly contract, did the same with the iPhone 4. After that I thought what am I doing? Ever since I've been on a low cost sim only contract and don't spend more than £200 on a phone, normally closer to £100 and its crazy how good of a phone you can get for the money.

I got my current phone Moto G6 for £95 refurb and its perfect basically. Had it for 1.5 years and will keep going with it. I get a new phone when something goes wrong with my current, or a new feature comes along that I want (I upgraded from Moto G5 to G6 because of NFC payments for example)

My Sister is new a iPhone every year or two person. Has no job, only uses it for social media and taking photos of her life. I really do not get it. Two months of her phone bill is equal to roughly 8-10 months of mine. It's just this weird social status thing, which I never understand.

Spaggy

Oct 26, 2017
I only replace when my old one breaks. That's usually after 2-3 years, and then I end up getting something a few years outdated. My most recent phone I got this year is an iPhone 7.

Suur Tõll

Oct 26, 2017
Estonia
Two years is incredibly wasteful, for me a normal cycle is at least five years (unless something essential breaks and can't be replaced).

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
Hmm, currently no.

I might upgrade my iPhone 8 this year and that's a 3 year old phone (Altought I've had it for 2 and half years five or take) but I could probably hold to it for another year.

If I had gotten an iPhone X instead of this one I think I wouldn't consider it even. 3 or 4 years is more than enough.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
I do it because i am a sick son of a bitch that likes to hop between android and apple and different brands.

Once i find the phone i truly love i will probably stop doing every 2 years. It's been fun messing with a Moto, Galaxy, iPhone and next year will be my first note. By 2023 i hope foldable phones are worth it and ill try that.

Maccix

Jan 10, 2018
Well depends on what I want out of it. Cameras have improved drastically over the last 2-3 years. Battery tech has also come a long way,both in how long it holds a charge and how long it takes to charge. As long as there is as much progress I keep on upgrading every two years. I'm fine with the performance and screen of even older phones though.

Another thing is that I'm doing many outdoor activities that usually wear the phones down. (Hiking,climbing, mountainbiking....). Some phones lasted me a year before something broke,like my Galaxy s10 cameras.

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
I stopped buying anything approaching a new phone a long time ago. Outside of the insane costs to me on a monetary level, the damage we are inflicting on the planet is not something I can, in good conscious, be part of.

'Endangered' elements used to make mobile phones are running out quickly, scientists warn

A two year replacement cycle is capitalism at it's absolute worst. Somehow, a major corporation has convinced hundreds of millions of people they need to pay increasing amounts of money to replace something that is still working perfectly.

Much like any other boom industry in history, there is no efficiency built into the model, no plan for sustainability. We'll mine the earth until the thing we need runs out, at that point we may look to fabricate an alternative but until then it's easier to exploit poorer countries for their resources and labour.

Obviously you pick and choose your battles when it comes to ethical consumption under capitlism but the mobile phone industry, for me is one of the worst examples of exploitation. Apple is now one of the biggest companies in the world and it is built on the back of this ridiculous phone replacement cycle. They would likely be very rich if they just sold good phones, without the pressure to constantly replace.

Like others on here now, I only buy used phones and I only do that when my old one is decrepit. I only recently upgraded to a One Plus 5, from a Samsung Galaxy 3. Let me tell you, you feel like a king when you jump a few levels up the development pyramid. Even if you are technically behind the curve.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
With the resale value of iPhones I can sell it every year and buy a new model for a little more. In the end, this will cost me marginally more than if I had used it for many years, sold it for almost nothing, and bought a new one.

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Well, flagship phones are crazy expensive now , but they normally can last more than 2 years. Cheaper mid-range phones I normally buying can rarely last more than 3, and normally getting annoying in the third year, so here 2-year cycle is reasonable. My wife is buying iphones though and is perfectly fine by replacing them every 4 years. Think both our approaches are quite fine.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Committing to buying a new phone every two years stops me from buying a new phone every year. Ditto GPU generations.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have an S9+ right now. I'm not looking to get a new phone this year as the phone is still great and working properly. So no, I'm not doing this two year cycle.

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
My iphone X is more than enough for me.
Im sure apple is gonna gimp it with fewer software updates but that battery life isnt looking too hot either.

but id be more than happy to skip iphone 12 or whatever they have coming this year.

Oct 30, 2017
It really depends on what phone you have right now, I thought I was getting the Pixel 3 for the long haul, it was pretty quick and it had an amazing camera.

But 12 months in the battery deteriorated to the point it wouldn't even make it through the work day, so I ended up getting a new phone at the 18 month mark.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm at 3 years with the Galaxy S8 now so no I'm not okay with a 2 year cycle.

And I'm also not going to pay anywhere near 1000€ for the replacement when I do upgrade.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
we do it because thats what operators offer. And at the end of the 2 year contract, rather than offering to reduce you to a sim only deal, they push an 'upgrade' on you so you keep spending $$.

Best thing to do is try and decouple yourself from phone contracts entirely. Go sim only and then you'll really see how much contracts cost, and you're free to move around providers as and when offers change. Normally you're only tied in for 12 months so there is more flexibility to change.

then just buy the phones outright, or leverage somethign like Apple's iUP program which is basically 24 months interest free - when it finishes, you can just keep the phone and your costs will drop back to the SIM only contract you have, and you keep your phone until you feel like you want/need to upgrade.

Current iphones certainly should easily last you 4-5 years. Aside from battery life which is replacable, my son's 6s and my daughters SE are still pretty good.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Preferably not. Most of my phone upgrades were after two years, but back in pre-2010, phones were changing quite fast with the rise of smart phones. After that, it was a matter of performance. My first android was showing its age really quickly and I bought a new one when the two year contract was up. My next lasted me four years but was really slowing down after three. I only had my third android after a year, because my wife broke hers by accident, and we decided to change carriers and went with Google Fi, which was fortunate because my phone started having a ton off issues just a few months after we moved to Fi and each got a Pixel 2.

Two years later, and other than my phone periodically crashing an app (which eventually fixes itself), its performance has been great, so I'm hoping to get at least another year out of it.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Phones can last way longer then the usual 2 years.

I'm a phone guy so I'll upgrade every two years but I have an iPhone se from 2016 that still works great and iPhone 8 plus that's still super quick and works like new because I changed the battery.

I wish battery's were removable like old phones, it used to be nice to just swap out a new one.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This is absolute peak consumerism. The fact that people even think this makes sense shows how strong brands and marketing are.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I went 4 years on my last phone before upgrading to the iPhone XS. I don't plan on upgrading this one until Apple coughs up those 120hz screens.

So no, a 2 year cycle is dumb.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
not really, it totally depends on what device I am using. having used Samsung's in the past, I was more likely to switch in 2 years as it got more sluggish. I have been using a One Plus for about 2 years now and I don't feel like its slowing down anytime soon tbh. I think its the same for iPhones too, they are reliable when it comes to software updates that reduce lag and occasional stuttering.

bottom line, when going to buy phones, I suggest getting the phone with most vanilla of software, whether that is Pixel or OnePlus on the Android side or the iPhone. I'm honestly done with phones with custom manufacturer ROM's

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
No. I have an iphone 7 that I've had for a few years now. As long as the Bluetooth and GPS work, and I'm able to use Spotify, access the Internet, and play podcasts, I don't see a need for another. I'll get another phone when this one doesn't work anymore.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
No. I have an iphone 7 that I've had for a few years now. As long as the Bluetooth and GPS work, and I'm able to use Spotify, access the Internet, and play podcasts, I don't see a need for another. I'll get another phone when this one doesn't work anymore.

This is my first year on iUP. I'll probably switch to the 12 if it has flat sides and is OLED, but not on iUP - just iphone payments so 0% still. And aim to keep that as a practical device for as many years as possible.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
I do it every year, but that's because I'm on the Samsung upgrade programme, which is cheaper than a 2 year contract in the long run (UK). Each time I get a new phone I give the previous iteration to my mother and sell the one she was using.

I always tell people they need to weigh up why they want a new phone every year or two or even a flagship device. I meet people all the time who don't have a clue about the shortcuts, level of multitasking, locking an app into RAM, split screen, etc. But wanna brag about the phone they use for 1 app at a time, phonecalls and texts.

I've even offered to charge phones on the back of mine on a day/night out and they respond with surprise....dude it was even in the advert for the phone your carrying.

Cost wise it makes no sense of you're going to be spending 700+ and not maximising the capabilities of the device.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
I used to upgrade every two years. It was mostly just wanting to have the new thing. I haven't done that in years though. I wait until my phone is on it's last legs. The whole FOMO thing with smartphones is less of a thing now considering that the upgrades offer incremental changes.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hell no. I had a Samsung Galaxy s3 and didn't upgrade until the S10. There's just no need unless the phone is starting to fall apart like in my case.

GS_Dan

Oct 30, 2017
I have a Mate 20 Pro, the only phone I would consider an upgrade to at the minute is the Surface Duo. Other phones have been ridiculously incremental

Oct 26, 2017
Using an OG iPhone SE I got in 2016. It works fine. No lag, battery still lasts a full day under normal use. Wish the camera was better but absolutely no reason to upgrade whatsoever.

The 2 year cycle is definitely a scam, and also incredibly wasteful.

Oct 25, 2017
3-4 years was my cycle, however iPhone X is so good I'll be rocking this phone for another 3 years unless phones ever will start looking nice, or my phone starts tearing down. That reminds me I need to get a replacement battery