• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best ever designed controller

• PS5

Votes: 1,427 57.5%
  • Series X/S/One

Votes: 789 31.8%
  • X360

Votes: 52 2.1%
  • DualShock 4

Votes: 51 2.1%
  • PS3

Votes: 10 0.4%
  • PS2

Votes: 7 0.3%
  • Other (Describe if possible)

Votes: 147 5.9%

• Total voters

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I only had it in my hands for a few hours but it feels a touch narrower than previous iterations. Maybe I'm too used to the Steam Controller's oversized grips.

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
That sounds great. I would like to have that controller, but I really don't play enough of my One X to justify such a pricey accessory. Maybe one day.

I totally understand that. I wouldn't have gotten it normally either but I was trying to get a Series X for my nieces and Gamestop had a bundle with one. Definitely hard for me to say it's worth the nearly $200 but it does feel like a premium controller with all the customization you have and just how much heft it has compared to a standard controller. I mainly game on PC so I've gotten quite a bit of use out of it.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I voted for series x but I'm actually not quite sure if it's better that dualsense. I do like controls that have less gyro, touch, vibrations in favor of a reduced price. Series x controler are relatively expensive now but I guess that will change?

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
D-pad controller: Saturn pad - undefeated.

Thumbstick controller: Switch Pro - Nintendo really nailed the grip and resistance of the stick, and needed to balance that by somehow forgetting how to make d-pads.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
(sorry, I haven't held the PS5 controller yet... so I didn't vote)

As for now, my vote is GameCube, but that might be because I've used it for decades, whereas the Xbox 360 controller has been used far less frequently.

1. GameCube
2. Xbox 360 / XBX

CGS

Oct 27, 2017
For me in terms of ergonomics the Series X controller is awesome and I love how good the dpad feels. But in terms of gameplay implemented features hands down the dualsense is magic. Basically for a singleplayer game with great implemented dualsense features I would go with that. But for mp shooters I would go with Series X controller.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
Dualsense has neat features and gimmicks, but imo, its not nearly as comfortable. Trackpad, worthlless, adaptive triggers, neat but are now off. Rumble is great, but it cant tip over how my hands feel after hours of use.

Whenever I go from ps5 to xsx I am always surprised how good it feels, so there's the answer.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It sure feels nice and is an upgrade over the one In a few areas, I still go my elite version 2 98% of the time, it's just about perfect.

Kittenz

Oct 28, 2017
Minneapolis
where the hell is the gamecube controller

edit: wait, is the Xbox Series controller seriously running on AA batteries?! Still?! PLEASE tell me I'm mistaken. Honestly what in the fuck. This is likely a deal-breaker for someone who has been contemplating purchasing one.
I mean, how is it different? I have 4 AA rechargeable that just get swapped back and forth from controller to charger once a week. I have them all over the house but 4 and a charger that will last a decade is like $18. Super cheap and super easy. I'd way rather swap batteries quick than have to find the cable to plug in when I forget to charge my controller. God made controllers wireless for a reason.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really happy with it, but gyro is a glaring omission.

Couldn't possibly have added much to the bom, could it?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
weird how we've had this poll many times now and xbox always wins but this time it's so lopsided.

series x controller is best. haptics are cool but the ergonomics are still not there on sonys controller.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I'm torn between the DualSense and the Switch Pro Controller. But I think the PS5 pad is my favourite, just.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The DualShock 4 was a great improvement over the DS3 but I was super surprised how much of a leap the DualSense is/was over the DS4. I know I said I prefer the Elite V2 but that's only because it's a $200 controller with so much you can customize. If it didn't have that I think the DualSense would be my new favorite controller and that's just pure comfort and feel in the hands. That's not considering the leap in technology when it comes to haptics and adaptive triggers. Sony really nailed the hardware side of the PS5 without a doubt on ALL ends.

Oh no

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, it's the most comfortable for me and I much prefer it's stick layout. If it had gyro and they had something similar to the Dualsense haptics it'd be perfect but overall I still like it the best.

With the Switch Pro Controllers, Dualsense and Series X/S controller all consoles have great controllers at least which is awesome. Wasn't a huge fan of the DS 3 or 4 in previous gens.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
My perfect controller would be a Switch Pro controller with the internals and triggers of the DualSense.

I love the tech in the PS5 controller, but whenever I pick up the Pro I'm reminded of how great it feels to hold and that the DualSense is actually a bit chunky.

I say this as someone who owns a bunch of Switch Pro Controllers: the Switch Pro Controller is practically a "Mad Catz" Xbox Series controller. No aspect of its design is superior to the Series controller. The reason why it gets such high praise is because the joycons are so crappy that it feels amazing in comparison.

As far as I'm concerned it's got a better shape and feel in the hand, the D-pad is superior (even with its issues), the sticks feel better, and it's got much superior battery life. It's got nothing to do with the Joycons.

City 17

Oct 25, 2017
Any controller without AA batteries support is a bad choice. That's like the 2nd most important part of the design.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I find the idea that Sony chose in 2019 to look at the Stadia controller and then start designing the Dualsense kind of laughable, to be honest. And what's broken about the Dualsense dpad? Unless you just mean your specific controller is broken.

It's the first time sony did change the shape design of their controllers.
And it looks really close to it. But i agree, it's not something that we can say for sure.

About the broken dpad:
It's the same thing why people complaining about the switch joy con not having a real dpad.
I mean, the sony dpad buttons are a lot better than the joy con, but they are still buttons.
When playing fighting games like MK11 or Street Fighter, and doing a back to forward spin (which is used a lot), it's not OK.
I must say i don't play the same way as most do. But even then....
Here is my example on how i set my finger on the dpad:
https://www.screencast.com/t/RSQmnXC6Ad

Than about the misplaced Analog stick:
https://www.screencast.com/t/sIirXp5H380U

People can have there oppinion. Thats ok, but for me saying that this is better is the same as saying that fps games are better with analog than mouse & keyboard.

Last edited:

dragn

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
dual sense for the features, xbox elite for feel

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
switching between both constantly.
both new controllers got to a point where they feel generally good in hand, so its a toss up ergonomics wise,
than on top, dualsense takes crown just by new features alone easily, it really makes going back to other gamepads feel lackluster.
other issues i have with series controller,
dont like how its still required to pay extra for charge pack, dpad is stupidly loud, the light on it is too bright without a way to dim.

dm101

Nov 13, 2018
I only use scuf and have for years. The paddles are absolutely necessary for me.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Haven't touched the Series X revision, but I wasn't a fan of how the X1 controller felt. There was something about the bumpers that didn't feel right compared to how the 360 controller felt.

The Dualsense feels extremely nice so far, and has genuinely wowed me with how it's used some of its features in Astrobot and Spider-Man
The bumpers got fixed right after release. Every controller made in the last like 7 years doesnt have launch xbox one bumpers.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Lol it's not even close. It's archaic and distinctly last gen compared to the dual sense. The Xbox controller is over priced and so under cooked on the tech front. Don't know why MS fans give it a free pass.

Let's not even get started on the 'elite' controller cost and shocking build quality.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No.
I guess OP didn't get to try out the DualSense yet. Series X/S controller seems kinda archaic compared.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I studied industrial design at university, so I love discussing controllers.

I think when it comes to ergonomics, Microsoft has it figured it out almost completely. In fact, they reduced the size of the Series controller to fit an even bigger percentile of hands. It is really really hard to feel discomfort when holding the new controller, it just melts naturally in your hands. Part of it is also due to the angled grips, a key element that surprisingly enough is not copied in other controllers. In this regard, I don´t understand why the Dual Sense grips curve inwards, it is totally unnatural.

However, design is a immensely broad term, so even when ergonomics could be considered by many the most important factor, there are others to take into account. Innovation is one of them, and the Dual Sense, with its adaptive triggers and advanced haptic feedback wins in this aspect by a country mile. Add to this that this is by far the most comfortable controller Sony has ever designed, although the weight distribution is imbalanced towards the upper part, and we could, prematurely say tho, the Dual Sense could be the best controller ever designed.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Not until they fix the buttons so they consistently register when you press them anywhere other than the middle firmly. Been through 5 new Series X controllers with this issue.

J-Soul

Banned
Nov 11, 2020
It's the Gamecube controller. Most modern controllers are designed around FPS and they're all pretty bad for most other genres.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
The best ergonomic feeling for me is the Xbox SeriesX/Elite and Wii U Pro controller.

Dualsense is neat for its features though.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
I think initially dualsense had a real wow factor, but anyone like me who simply got used to the feedback and I barely ever notice it now.

the Xbox one I think is basically perfect.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Poll results cannot be correct unless all voters own both consoles or at least a PS5 and the Series X controller for their PC.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Dualsense has nice innovation in the haptics but for everything else, ergonomics, buttons, trigger feel, stick placement and stick feel the Series controller is superior in my opinion. I never used the Xbox One controller so can't say how much of an evolution it is from there.

FriendlyNPC

Oct 27, 2017
For me personally, in terms of shape, I feel like Microsoft's controllers got progressively worse after the 360 controller. I loved the ever living hell out of those and used them extensively not only for 360 but my PC as well but never really enjoyed what they have done afterwards with the Xbox One or Series X/S.

The 360 controller is the only asymmetrical controller that I have ever liked basically. Generally I prefer symmetrical and because of that Sony's controller offerings. My overall vote goes to the 360 controller though, it just fits into my hands perfectly.

Last edited:

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing has fit my hands more perfectly than the 360 pad, but the overall build quality of these new pads is just fantastic. I recently got the Shock Blue controller for my PC and I'm loving it. I was using the DS4 previously as my PC gamepad, and was quite fond of it, but that shit just feels cheap now lol.

Justice_DP

Jan 28, 2020
I love the minimalistic design, the controller has a great weight to it, the triggers are terrific and the D-pad is the best stock one since the Saturn pad. And it let's me use my rechargeable AA batteries, which is always a big plus.

However it lacks a number of features I expect from a modern controller (gyro, rumble/FF, etc.). I prefer to play games on weaker hardware as I miss the gyro assist. And over the last few years I came to prefer to play with split joy-cons instead of one pad.

timerhyme

Apr 19, 2018
I'm in love with the Series X controller! But I didnt vote as i've not used the dualsense yet. Before the series X, the pro controller was my fav.

acebeam

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 23, 2020
Nope. Not at all. Loved the X1 gamepad size. Now XSX gamepad is smaller which i don't like. Although, build quality is awesome. Prefer simetrical design over asymmetrical. And also DS design suits me better. It's more comfy.