• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
i feel like the silence on wb's dc titles is
Strangest of all. Were heading on five years since knight releases, you would think they'd have announced or said something by now so the casual market doesnt think the series is dead.
Yeah they're just one of a few examples of people who should've said something by now. Their secrecy makes zero sense, compounded by the fact that they released two cryptic tweets four months apart with no end in sight.

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Anyway, im sure there is a lot of money at stake, and im sure projects get cancelled constantly, those are the only two reasons i can think of.

I think these are the biggest reasons games aren't announced earlier to be honest. Video games are more prone to being cancelled than Movies. There are a lot more dynamics that go into Video games obviously. I think just hearing a lot of other scalebounds, star wars 1313s, and Silent Hills early on would be disappointing. Also a lot of games drastically change after initially being shown especially considering if they show gameplay. I can see all of the puddle-gate, and watchdogs controversies happening 10 times over if games are announced earlier and show gameplay. Also the speculation of if something exists or not is pretty fun. Sure leaks are becoming more prominent nowadays, but a lot of them are fake so there's still a grain of salt before getting that ultimate payoff/confirmation when a game is officially announced. Overall, I'm a fan of the secrecy. Let me know when it's pretty much close to being done.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't say we left that era just yet. The Last of Us 2 was announced in December of 2016 and it still isn't out yet.

Yeah I mean more in that 2015-16 was kinda the last time it really happened, for the most part. We've had things like Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing etc. see pretty short turn-around times since then, even accounting for delays.

The question is if Naughty Dog and Square Enix avoid it going forward with their next projects

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mean more in that 2015-16 was kinda the last time it really happened, for the most part. We've had things like Cyberpunk 2077, Doom Eternal, Animal Crossing etc. see pretty short turn-around times since then, even accounting for delays.
What?

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gamers being so reactionary is probably the industry's own fault tbh, they encourage the behavior with marketing strategies. There are more than a few cases of companies being really transparent and that being recieved positively, like the MP4 being rebooted announcement. Id rather things be less secret.

Oct 27, 2017
I used to think the industry needed more transparency, but considering the maturity levels of the average gamer and the immediate cries of "downgrade" or what have you when anything is shown early makes me think it's best that gamers learn patience.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I'm waiting for the day we get true surprise releases on big games. I'm talking no trailers, no announcement, just put it on the digital store and maybe say things on social media the day of like "you won't believe what we found on the 'xxxxx' store today!"

OP
OP
Secretofmateria

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting for the day we get true surprise releases on big games. I'm talking no trailers, no announcement, just put it on the digital store and maybe say things on social media the day of like "you won't believe what we found on the 'xxxxx' store today!"

i think the only game that could get away with that is half life 3

Oct 30, 2017
I think they should be more open about their projects. The secrecy gets tiring. I'm not saying you need to show gameplay that might change, but concept art, ideas, and updates on progress would all be nice to see. Even behind the scenes, and discussions with the staff. Twitch streams with developers where they talk about their game. Once everyone gets use to this I'm sure it would be fine.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers are largely an immature, impatient and reactionary lot and there's almost no winning with them. I'd say the secrecy is warranted. Probably easier for companies to handle complaints of "Where's the game?!?!" than literal threats when final products don't entirely resemble what was shown 2-4 years prior.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
oh i dunno, lets ask the no mans sky team

i bet they have acquired strong feels about premature announcements

Oct 27, 2017
They'll announce things when they feel it's best to. Gamers need to stop being so crazy impatient. I'm surprised no one's thrown out "anti-consumer" in this thread

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
What?

Cyberpunk 2077 was announced in 2012.

Ah right, forgot about that since they barely showed anything for years. Still, there are plenty of other games coming out soon/that came out within the past 2 years that had pretty short announce-to-release schedules.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ah right, forgot about that since they barely showed anything for years. Still, there are plenty of other games coming out soon/that came out within the past 2 years that had pretty short announce-to-release schedules.
Oh for sure, I just thought your inclusion of Cyberpunk was funny.

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Is there a financial risk if a project is known about earlier than intended? Btw i love ori, keep up the great work!

Oh, without a question, are you kidding me? Hype is worth a lot in this industry... look at the hype that built around FF7R when they first announced it at E3. If that announcement would've leaked with a couple of dingy images beforehand, the excitement level would've been much less. Instead, everything went properly and those videos of people jumping up and down is worth a ton in terms of marketing value.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
A lot of stuff can change in game development. Way more than in movies or any other medium.

Games can get cancelled, gameplay can undergo large changes. I can imagine it would be hard for devs to say anything when anything they say might not end up working out.

Consider how people react to games where the trailer was way better with AI or graphics. The devs get attacked for bullshots, scripted trailers, etc.

Developers have a lot of competition so they have to work hard to please their audience. Any backwards steps in features can be quite a throw back. And the announcement hype can be a powerful marketing tool.

Maybe the industry would be fine without the secrecy, but it would be a very different industry and not likely for the better.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a financial risk if a project is known about earlier than intended? Btw i love ori, keep up the great work!

Actually yes, because most project are either too different in the beggining compared to the final product or are cancelled.

Development hell is a thing, I was super eager about Retro's next game but since I have no idea what they were working on, I can only care so much. P.T., Platinum's dragon game, Metroid Prime 4 etc.

So there is little to gain unveiling things too early.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Games are cancelled and change drasticlly right up to the last stretch, its risky showing anything before that point, and by waiting people do their marketing via hype threads and word of mouth. Its Win-win for them to wait

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
No, it's not warranted. It's a sign of an immature industry. The notion that if a game is announced it'll lead to constant questions or harassment from fans is baseless. A very, very small minority of fans would act that way.

The overwhelming majority of gamers would like to know if there's going to be another entry in their favourite series. You don't need to give out all the details mechanics, etc, because obviously things change.

But I find it bizarre that it's still a mystery whether another, say, Splinter Cell or Bioshock is in development.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
As we move on in the year, many people are eagerly anticipating any information at all on next generation consoles and nintendo's upcoming slate. The games industry has always been secretive. Game announcements are treated as events in their own right and people have built reputations on leaking information earlier than companies intended to. But is this all necessary? Would it be better to take the disney/marvel approach and announce what is in production far earlier? We can argue that the anticipation might be worse, but it might help to combat leakers, as well as the frustration from players when there is a dirth of information regarding a companies slate. For instance it the lack of a nintendo direct might be less frustrating if they had announced more early 2020 titles in september. Anyway, im sure there is a lot of money at stake, and im sure projects get cancelled constantly, those are the only two reasons i can think of.
Look at any thread for a game that was announced and then canceled. It gets ugly.

DGenerator

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto, ON, Canada
Eh...I don't think that is related.

OP gave their interpretation to the prompt, "Is the secrecy surrounding the games industry warranted?"

With GDC coming up soon, I'm giving a realistic, but different, perspective of that question.

Hell, I joined a game production job for a title with a peak CCU of 1,000 a decade ago and if I even gave basic comments about what lies they offered to the public about non-privileged aspects of community management they can still try to sue me. Even if I don't think I'd lose, still having that hang over me eight years show an insane level of secrecy the games industry looms over its workers.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's telling that the biggest argument for why the secrecy is warranted is because gamers are such utter trash that they have to be actively pacified to minimize fallout.

There's so much toxic shit in this industry and medium, from the constant never-ending hype cycle for announcements to the way gamers constantly get whipped up into a frenzied fervor (both by companies and by themselves) to all of the cults of personality from news watchdogs to reaction farms to clout-chasers to the encouraged overall perpetual immaturity of essentially the entire damn industry. All the secrecy really does is fuel all of that shit.

The hyper-secrecy isn't just unwarranted, it's unnecessary. And if this space could actually fucking behave itself it wouldn't be this huge problem.

And I say all this while being addicted to Smash reveals, for the record.

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Gamers are a very toxic bunch, even in forums like ours (where we're suppose to be the good ones), things can get pretty hectic. It's just not worth it for developers to put it all out there and then received critical backlash when things are rightfully scrapped or changed.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
Announcing games too early leads to lowered sales because the hype died off. Only the biggest, most well-known franchises can get away with announcing a new game years from launch. And Nintendo has proved that waiting to announce a game as long as possible doesn't hurt anyone.

The movie industry is just as secretive, it's just harder to keep the secrets when you have to do your filming where other people can see, and have so many people involved in many different production companies working together.

Last edited:

squall211

Jan 24, 2018

The question is if Naughty Dog and Square Enix avoid it going forward with their next projects

Jeez I hope so. Whenever SE decides to announce FF XVI I want it to be released within the following year - 18 months.

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I feel like the industry has to allow for a strict balance of necessary privacy and transparency. Do I need a leak of the next big game to come? No. Especially if it affects people jobs. Do I want a full glass door view of the development next Conker x Banjo? From concept to development to cancellation? Nope. Some ideas don't deserve publicity when they aren't fully realized. Once it gets out, the judgement begins. Sometimes reveals at the wrong time can completely destroy the rollout before it begins.

Console information is similar too. I always appreciate official info, albeit without the PR tinged seasoning, vs random leaks. But at the same time, I appreciate surprise and a good hype train makes me tingly lol...