• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

3080= New 8800GT?

• Yes

Votes: 132 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 240 64.5%

• Total voters

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
Fuck no

The 3080 is a big course correction after the monumental price increase of turing, but it's still a very expensive card

8800GT was a high end card offered at midrange price

The best part is thatit was followed up by AMD's HD 4800 series, which was also legendary for its price/perf ratio

that was a great time to be a pc gamer

The last time we had something like the 8800GT was the GTX 970

Jan 21, 2019
It consumes way too much power to be even close to stand a comparison. Honestly the only two things that the 3080 has going for it are the performance difference to the 20 series (which was pretty bad compared to the 10 series) and the price point in a market without competition.

Pretty sure in 1-2 years from now the 30 series won't be regarded as good. The power consumption is way too high for the performance, we haven't seen AMD's offer yet, it is nearly impossible to get a $699 RTX 3080 FE with most 3080 cards being well above that, Nvidia's presentations about 2X 2080 performance was deceiving.
It is also lacking RAM. It makes no sense for it to have 10. It should be AT LEAST 12 and more like 16.

Pandaforce

Oct 28, 2017
It's amazing to me that Nvidia has managed to convince people that a $700 graphics card is good "value". The 8800GT was $250 at launch.

FlanjeUK

Apr 20, 2019
Yup, Xbox 360 Xenos GPU was AMAZING for it's time. Basically competed with the most powerful PC GPU's available at launch (although I'm sure you could argue about it). Doubt we ever see that again. Would be like PS5 or Series X launching with a 3090 competitor. Lets say 80 RDNA 2 AMD CU's instead of 52 in Series X.

I think PC as a total platform in late 2005 still was ahead with better CPU, More RAM etc. Still.

Man Project Gotham racing was mind blowing at launch.
I set up my old 360 last week just to play PGR again. Still amazing to play in 2020.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Well I'm on a 1070 since 2017 so anything would be an upgrade for 1440p at this point.
Yeah.

I upgraded from a 1070 to a 2080 and saw ~70% performance boosts in most games. It was worth it as that was a boost from like low 80s to 140s in a game like Witcher 3. Huge difference when also moving to 240Hz display.

So the 3060 will be a 2080 with even better ray tracing performance. The 3070 still feels like the actual 1440p for longevity's sake, once next gen get going full blast, but the 3060 would at least murder the next two years easily.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no

The 3080 is a big course correction after the monumental price increase of turing, but it's still a very expensive card

8800GT was a high end card offered at midrange price

The best part is thatit was followed up by AMD's HD 4800 series, which was also legendary for its price/perf ratio

that was a great time to be a pc gamer

The last time we had something like the 8800GT was the GTX 970
This.

And all of this year's GPUs aren't even out yet. We're still looking at AMD's RDNA2 cards and the possibility of an RTX 3060 and maybe even a 3060Ti.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

I upgraded from a 1070 to a 2080 and saw ~70% performance boosts in most games. It was worth it as that was a boost from like low 80s to 140s in a game like Witcher 3. Huge difference when also moving to 240Hz display.

So the 3060 will be a 2080 with even better ray tracing performance. The 3070 still feels like the actual 1440p for longevity's sake, once next gen get going full blast, but the 3060 would at least murder the next two years easily.
Yeah that sounds fine. And wow, that's pretty huge for going from 1070 to 2080. I don't max out games though and want 60fps+ mostly so a 3060 may work for that. Plus there's DLSS which I would love to use too.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's about future proofing the card, you might not need more than 10 now but in 3-4 years which this card should easily do and still play on high.
What's gonna change in 3-4 years that will suddenly make this card which performs significantly better than current gen consoles stop performing significantly better than current gen consoles?

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Yeah that sounds fine. And wow, that's pretty huge for going from 1070 to 2080. I don't max out games though and want 60fps+ mostly so a 3060 may work for that. Plus there's DLSS which I would love to use too.
That's at my resolution of 1080p. This is 1440p:

the-witcher-3_2560-1440.png

So yeah that's in the ~73% range there. Overall I have been very happy with the performance jump, plus DLSS as you mentioned.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
That's at my resolution of 1080p. This is 1440p:

the-witcher-3_2560-1440.png

So yeah that's in the ~73% range there. Overall I have been very happy with the performance jump, plus DLSS as you mentioned.
Ah, that makes it better. I plan to get a new 1440p monitor that is at least 144hz as well soon. But going from 1070 to 3060 would be cool, I want to experience ray tracing for some games and DLSS is the main draw for games that support it.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
It definitely is. The bump in PC hardware perfomance and features is just nuts and it dropped the consoles back to mid/low end class right from the start. With advances like DLSS and much better rt (and later even io) the gap widens even further. Especially when actual native rendering resolution is not that important anymore.
But console has the io advantage. PC will always be stronger why does it make PC gamers feel good to shit on conaoles makes no sense.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
If the card was maybe $300-400 then sure. But as it stands now, the card itself is more expensive than all 4 consoles.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017
Idk, the 3080 is disappointing - 2.5x the die size, 3x the FLOPS and over 2x the price of a 5700XT for 1.7-2x the performance.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
It is also lacking RAM. It makes no sense for it to have 10. It should be AT LEAST 12 and more like 16.

I agree I think 10 GB of VRAM is a bit low for a late 2020 700$ graphics card. For me personally it wouldn't be an issue since VRAM allocation and actual usage are two different things, but I also game at 1440p 144hz and not 4K or multi monitor setups.

12 or 16 would've been much better and the reality that Nvidia is going to cash in on the 20GB version of the 3080 does make it even worse.

Adum

May 30, 2019
Ooh boy I know I sound like a console apologist peasant here but some of the claims made here are taken very out of context.

By that I mean a GPU released at console launch which is far more powerful than next gen consoles and will run console games much better for several years to come like we had with the case of PS360.
There's also the little detail where you can literally buy two next gen consoles for the price of a single RTX 3080, which is just one component of a PC..

Pretty sure the 1080ti I had before I got a 3080 was more powerful than next gen consoles...

What's the 3090 doing if not proving the difference in vram doesn't mean much of anything?
That 1080ti hits sub-20 fps playing at 4k with raytracing on for current gen games. I'll be surprised if it has even single digit framerates for next gen games with raytracing at 4k. Both next gen consoles are aiming for 4k native and even if it hasn't been officially announced we know that most games will have some sort of ray tracing enabled from now on. You have to be a special kind of PCMR-er to say that a 1080ti is more powerful than a PS5/XSX

And you are aware that both the 3080 and the 3090 are being tested on current gen games? i.e. games designed to run on hardware from 2013. These games are not going to test those cards or their vram capacity. Try saying the same thing in late 2021 or 2022 when more games will be coming out with minimum specs geared for the new hardware.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
It's about future proofing the card, you might not need more than 10 now but in 3-4 years which this card should easily do and still play on high.
Personally I don't think efforts to "future proof" like this work. For example I bought the 4gb version of the 770 to future proof myself vs the base 2gb version. But by the time the next card comes out there's new features that make any extra ram a moot point. Like the 770 can't use freesync. Or look at RTX/DLSS. No amount of future proofing at the 2000 series would make you prepared for these totally new features.

You just have to accept that by the time you buy a card, even the top of the line card, NVDA/AMD already have features in the pipeline that will make it antiquated in a few years. You can't future proof against that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That 1080ti hits sub-20 fps playing at 4k with raytracing on for current gen games. I'll be surprised if it has even single digit framerates for next gen games with raytracing at 4k. Both next gen consoles are aiming for 4k native and even if it hasn't been officially announced we know that most games will have some sort of ray tracing enabled from now on. You have to be a special kind of PCMR-er to say that a 1080ti is more powerful than a PS5/XSX

And you are aware that both the 3080 and the 3090 are being tested on current gen games? i.e. games designed to run on hardware from 2013. These games are not going to test those cards or their vram capacity. Try saying the same thing in late 2021 or 2022 when more games will be coming out with minimum specs geared for the new hardware.
But the raytracing solution for next gen consoles is completely different from Nvidia's solution. We have no idea how AMD's solution to raytracing would perform on a 1080ti.

You seem to think a $500 console is gonna pull off some magic or something, and they never do.

I'm not trying to be a PCMR-er. Consoles are definitely important. But don't pretend like every first-party AAA game isn't gonna be 30fps again next gen.

Adum

May 30, 2019
But the raytracing solution for next gen consoles is completely different from Nvidia's solution. We have no idea how AMD's solution to raytracing would perform on a 1080ti.
Not sure what your point is here. Yes, the GPU architecture is different thus their approach to raytracing will be different. It's been different for decades, including this current gen. Doesn't change the fact that raytracing is going to be in games more and more and the GTX 1080ti can't handle current gen games with real time raytracing at 4k. Whatever the architecture, it's very safe to assume that next gen games are going to be even more demanding and I honestly don't know what to tell you if you still think that somehow the GTX 1080ti will perform better than the PS5/XSX.

You seem to think a $500 console is gonna pull off some magic or something, and they never do.
Consoles have always pulled off magic, at least at launch. The magic here being their price to performance. And I think the baseline price for entry to next gen should be $399 with the PS5 digital edition (exact same hardware as normal PS5, just digital only). The irony is that you'll need to pull of some real magic to build a PC with the same performance as the PS5 for $399

I'm not trying to be a PCMR-er. Consoles are definitely important. But don't pretend like every first-party AAA game isn't gonna be 30fps again next gen.
Yep, agree. And if Ratchet and Clank is any indication, I hope all first party studios will give the option for a performance mode. Don't know why you pointed that out though, as that has nothing to do with vram limitations.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Did the 8800gt have hardware issues too?

Miles Morales and Demon Souls both support 60 fps. Not sure what you're on about.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I suspect the RTX 4060 will be the new 8800GT. Same time gap from console release, same price range, probably similar performance lead.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I keep saying it... the only games that are going to utilize those SSDs for anything other than "faster loading into areas" are first-party exclusives. We will probably see an increase in the number of games recommending an SSD, but I doubt it'll be an actual requirement for quite some time.

So basically all those Zenimax games that Phil bought right?

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
I think RTX 3070 is closer to that, in theory anyway. If it really performs like a 2080 Super, and for $499, it will be the new GTX 970 and I suppose "new 8800 GT" as well.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
Also seriously what is the deal with the failures I've been reading about with the 30 series? Exaggerated or real?

Miles Morales is a PS4 game.

Maybe I'm bad at Googling, but I'm not finding anything saying what the framerate of Demon's Souls is.

It's also a next gen title. I'm not sure why that matters? You certainly didn't specify. Someone already sent you a 60 fps trailer of Demon's Souls but just not sure why Mike Morales and something like Gears 5 don't count. The latter is going to support 120 fps.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
No, I believe the RTX 4070 will be that card.

While RTX 3080 is impressive, the generation that releases ~2 years after the new console generation is the one that blows the doors off of performance metrics.

The perfect example comes from comparing the GTX 980 to the GTX 1070.
This is similar to my thinking. The 3080 is impressive but with the PS5 and Xbox Series raising the floor, PC ports with all the bells and whistles are going to make even the 3080 strain in a couple of years. If raytracing is really the future, it's going to take another generation for Nvidia to really settle in and find that sweet spot.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice analogy

It is like that gpu - big and expensive. But will also scale well over time I imagine, just like it.

I half agree but not really, the 8800GTX was the beginning of a new era with DX10, unified shaders, 768MB, no other card could touch that,

the 3080 is not the first (Ampere is very clearly to a big extent Turing on a new process + some enhancements) and is lacking in some areas probably (vram),

I think the 8800GTX and the 8800GT were more important cards, the 8800GTX starting the unified shaders era, the 8800GT making it affordable at that level of performance.

the 3080 is not starting or making anything affordable,
back to the op
if nvidia releases a 3060 soon with 2080 like performance for sub $300 I think that's more of a cadidate for 8800GT style card.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
I half agree but not really, the 8800GTX was the beginning of a new era with DX10, unified shaders, 768MB, no other card could touch that,

the 3080 is not the first (Ampere is very clearly to a big extent Turing on a new process + some enhancements) and is lacking in some areas probably (vram),

I think the 8800GTX and the 8800GT were more important cards, the 8800GTX starting the unified shaders era, the 8800GT making it affordable at that level of performance.

the 3080 is not starting or making anything affordable,
back to the op
if nvidia releases a 3060 soon with 2080 like performance for sub $300 I think that's more of a cadidate for 8800GT style card.
I mean I said like it, not exactly it. :)

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You mean 8800 GTS/GTX, 8800GT was the most popular card but it came later and sat between GTS and GTX

eEK!

Dec 25, 2018
Miles Morales is a PS4 game.

Maybe I'm bad at Googling, but I'm not finding anything saying what the framerate of Demon's Souls is.
Demon Souls is supposed to be 60 in performance mode and 30 in quality mode (appears to be RT on), which kind of proves your point.

No doubt we'll see some surprises from the new consoles, but differences between PCs and consoles are now so small that we're unlikely to see anything that isn't possible on a high end PC.

That said I expect the new consoles be better value compared to PCs a long time.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. When is Era going to realize the power gap is the smallest it's ever been between gaming PC GPU's and the next gen consoles? The 1080ti was like a 10x jump over Xbox One, 3080 only twice as fast as Series X if even that much.
What a strange comparison. The 1080 Ti came out 4 years later. Maybe you wanted to say the GTX 780? I had that GPU and it definitely was quite a bit faster than both Xbox One and PS4, but felt like it was held back by VRAM a few years later.