• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the PS5 the most anticipated new console since the PS2?

• Yes it is

Votes: 867 38.4%
  • No it is not

Votes: 1,392 61.6%

• Total voters

Primeau31

Nov 18, 2017
On an overall level, I think it is. At the very least, larger hype than the PS4 launch.

People forget that enthusiast forums are echo chambers; the hype for PS4 wasn't so much for the PS4 itself, it was cathartic emotion/energy for how badly received the original plan for XBox One had become.

Now, in enthusiast circles XBox has really won a lot of good will and tried to right the wrongs, but outside of these circles PS5 seems like a juggernaut everyone wants to be a part of.

GhostSeed

Oct 27, 2017
Toaplan, USA
Not even close to PS2 and well behind PS4 as well. It will still sell well but there's nothing about this years system launches that's on the level of previous ones.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
If social engagement metrics are anything to go by absolutely

But it does not feel like it to me. Tough to say

PS3 hype was actually huge in a way that we were expecting this unbelievably new gen leap & experience. With PS5 graphically nothing like that is evident just yet (maybe few years down the line)

I do not remember PS2 hype..was too young

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Xbox, with Halo.
It was certainly a very interesting time.
I was really excited, and I already had a PS2.

John Frost

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
What statistics are you basing this off of?

Given that Xbox is going to provide a very viable competitor - especially with their recent acquisition - I just can't see a $500 console with $70 games selling well during a recession. Especially in a country that has almost no financial help coming in any more.

I could very well be wrong - I'm just citing the factors that would, right off the bat, make it less appealing than the PS4.

It's $399.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
I feel like a lot of people's memory is broken in here. Yes, it is without argument the most hyped console since the PS2. The PS2 hype was greater of course but nothing since then compares. The Wii didn't have hype, people were making jokes about it and everyone was wondering if Nintendo was going to go the way of Sega. The Switch was the same thing but this time people thought Nintendo was going to start making mobile games. Both of those systems came after "failed/lackluster" systems (GameCube & WiiU). PS3 hype was pretty high but it was hampered by Sony's bad PR/E3 showings. PS4 hype was solid but not the frenzy we have now. Xbox 360 was coming after a lackluster Xbox OG performance, Xbox One could have had plenty of hype but like Sony in the PS3 Gen Microsoft squandered it with bad messaging and PR.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
How can we decide if it's broken into mainstream or not? Does it need to feature in Jimmy Fallow show?

Think about the Wii in comparison. There were local news stories about rest homes playing Wii Sports, it made many mainstream talk show appearances, and it was sold out for almost a year. Celebrities everywhere were being photographed playing it and there was a lot of general news coverage about its availability.

If you see that sort of stuff with PS5, you can start making comparisons.

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Downplaying Wii is weird. Nintendo had been hyping "Revolution" for years. Even in the Nintendo-tepid UK, where I picked up my Wii, the pre-launch hype was unlike nothing I had seen. Huge lines of people waiting in line at GAME to play Wii Sports in advance of the launch. The launch itself was unlike anything seen before that as people were queuing for hours, and the system was completely sold out for over one year. And the online discourse in the lead-up was completely divided – a battleground between people in ultra-hype mode and others who were ridiculing it. The controller was shrouded in mystery. Bear in mind also that Nintendo had all but stopped releasing any notable console games for years, and Zelda had been revealed 2 1/2 years before its launch (and announced even before that!) coming off of the "kiddy" Wind Waker. Nintendo fans and this whole new demographic were so eager for this system.

Deleted member 15973

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think about the Wii in comparison. There were local news stories about rest homes playing Wii Sports, it made many mainstream talk show appearances, and it was sold out for almost a year. Celebrities everywhere were being photographed playing it and there was a lot of general news coverage about its availability.

If you see that sort of stuff with PS5, you can start making comparisons.
But the thread is about pre launch not post launch

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like if anything I've seen way more people on the fence about this gen (both here, elsewhere, and in my personal life) than previous ones lol. People aren't sure which console they want, let alone if they want one at all.

Jun 6, 2018
The perceived hype around these consoles is the lack of availability. There is definitely a huge factor with COVID driving gaming and people wanting the next best thing without being able to get their hands on it.

Lord Fanny

Banned
Apr 25, 2020
Lmao at all the Wii downplaying in the OP and some of the posts in here. All these years later, and people still angry about the Wii that they can't face how big it was. Wii hype was insane. I don't know if I'd put it above or same as PS2, but shit was nuts.

tmac456

May 27, 2020
Are people just not reading the thread title? It says SINCE the ps2. Yeesh.

Coming off 110+ million sold ps4s, the ps5 is absolutely more anticipated. Huge leap in hardware and some enormous games coming in the 18 to 24 months.

Is it more anticipated than the Wii? Hard to say.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Personally I don't think it is with the way economy is right now and the number of people out of work.

Also the price here in Canada is the main reason I won't be getting one and will go pc only for the foreseeable future

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I don't remember any hype for the PS4, I was on the fence about buying it and didn't preorder. I walked into a Walmart the morning of launch during our work morning coffee break and we were both able to grab one.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think so, but the PS4 and Wii have an argument, too. I'm not sure you can say definitively that any of them isn't the clear winner.

Feels like something's missing from it though.

Nov 1, 2017
Half the people of my social group keep forgetting that the new systems are coming out next month, so on a public level I'd say "lol nope".

The Wii is the closest we have gotten to that amount of hype simply due to how the system was marketed towards a casual audience (similar to how the PlayStation 2 appealed to a casual audience due to it doubling as an affordable DVD player).

LordBlodgett

Jan 10, 2020
Depending on how long you consider launch period to be, you absolutely cannot beat the Wii launch. That thing took the world by storm and dominated the entire 2006 holiday season. It was all over the media, and It also ran into shortages all the way through the end of 2007, and continued to outsell both the PS3 and 360 combined until 2009.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Think it's possible for PS5 to be more 'hyped' and yet less immediately successful than PS2 or Wii, there were a lot of factors at play there.

PS5 seems to be absolutely smashing engagement metrics in a pretty substantial way.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii launch was insane, that shit was a must have item that was extremely hard to get, every parent from coast to coast had to get one for their kids.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I'm only speaking for me personally.

For me...I think it was the PS3.

The PS3 was the first big purchase I made once I started working. I bought it with my own hard-earned money and I was that young 19 year old who's chilling with homies and I got the new console for all of us to play whenever we hangout. Yeah, I'm hyped for the PS5 but that time period when the PS3 dropped overall was just the "best" time period for me so it elevated my love of the launch.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
In comparison, the PS5 has more quantities than the Wii launch stock said ps5 hype would be more. That's why I asked how are we comparing.

There's no way to mathematically compare, people are just giving their opinions on what they saw at the time. You could have tripled the Wii launch stock and it still would have been a madhouse though.

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
I have had consoles since the Atari 2600, but the Wii launch was pure insanity. Even non-gamers were lining up outside stores for weeks on end chasing rumor after rumor whether stores were getting restocked or not. I myself had to spend an entire night outside a Best Buy in order to get one, which I never had to do before. Wii Sports man.

Last edited:

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
I was there in line for a PS2 (albeit I didn't care about any of the launch games cause they looked terrible). I would say the Switch and Wii got more hype.

Even now I'm excited about the PS5, but it sharing the excitement with XSX and I'll prolly play that more at launch (Bugsnax and Demon's Souls being the main exceptions).

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii launch was nuts. Even non-gamers were lining up outside stores for weeks on end chasing rumor after rumor whether stores were getting restocked or not. I myself had to spend an entire night in order to get one.

A college friend who was what was called at the time a complete "dudebro" gamer walked in on me playing Pikmin 2 in 2005 and said to me "that Nintendo shit is a joke, I can't believe you have that. I heard that was for little kids" etc. The next year he was laying down next to me on the concrete outside of Target with a cold to get a Wii at launch, and it was his idea for us to go do it.

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I don't think it is with the way economy is right now and the number of people out of work.

Also the price here in Canada is the main reason I won't be getting one and will go pc only for the foreseeable future
As someone who recently got into PC gaming this comment blows my mind.

My PS5 digital is cheaper than any individual part I have in my PC outside of memory. And it's not even cutting edge new stuff.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a lot of people's memory is broken in here.

The Wii didn't have hype, people were making jokes about it and everyone was wondering if Nintendo was going to go the way of Sega
You're the one with the broken memory here. People made jokes about the name when it was announced but by the time E3 hit, the hype was through the roof. The only people still thinking that way were so-called core gamers who never gave it a chance due to "waggle". People literally ran through Sony's booth to experience the Wii - and this was at E3, long before the mainstream marketing even ramped up.

And then when it did:

Mecha

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
A lot of rose tinted glasses in this thread. The Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Switch easily beat PS2 and I would argue that if Covid wasn't a factor this next gen hype cycle in general would have been bonkers.

In general this is natural since the industry has been growing and so are we.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's hard to say for me, personally.

I don't think I can fairly assess the hype for the PS2. I was 19, and the anticipation and excitement for launch is something that I personally don't think has been matched since. But I was young. Coming from the PS1, and seeing what was possible on the PS2 by comparison was mind-blowing at the time. News channels were running stories about the PS2, and how much of a monster it was in the eyes of the public. Lines out the door, around the block like it was a movie release. It was pretty crazy.

The PS4 also had some pretty great hype behind it, particularly coming from the PS3 which, had a rocky start and a very high price that dampened the anticipation somewhat (though it was still pretty damn high, at least among my friend circle at the time). The PS4 had a great price, despite the launch software looking so-so.

The PS5 is in an interesting place, because it has some incredible hardware, at a pretty fantastic price, but what sets it apart from previous PlayStation consoles is that it's launch lineup is pretty fucking incredible, as is it's first year lineup of titles. Not since the PS2 has a PlayStation console had this strong of a year one lineup of software.

If I had to rate anticipation of PlayStation consoles based off of my own experiences, I'd say

1) PS2
2) PS5
3) PS4
4) PS3
1) PS5

I rank the PS1 so low, because, at the time, myself and most of my friends were marginally skeptical about this newcomer Sony trying to step into the ring with Nintendo and Sega. Then Final Fantasy VII was revealed, and we definitely changed our tune, but that was still years off. While the excitement for a 3D console was high, the launch and year 1 titles weren't exactly much to write home about. For me, it really wasn't until Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Silent Hill that I really fell in love with the PlayStation 1.

PlayStation 2 was on a whole 'nother level by comparison. I still think it's possibly not surpassed in terms of anticipation and global excitement, but the PS5 certainly feels really, really close on its heels. It may very well be number 1, but I can't help but feel like my assessment is clouded by my memories and nostalgia of the PS2 launch.