• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is the PS5 the most anticipated new console since the PS2?

• Yes it is

Votes: 867 38.4%
  • No it is not

Votes: 1,392 61.6%

• Total voters

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I was thinking about the hype behind the PS5 and it has felt like ages since there was so much collective interest in a platform leading up to the launch. After all, the PS2 was the successor to the first ever console that reached 100 million sold and the PlayStation library built up a huge fanbase since their first effort. But since then, I wouldn't say platforms had this vast amount of good energy and positive vibes.

Let's look at a few of the notable launches since the PS2 generation

360 - It had a year head start and a good price at launch, but the first Xbox wasn't a big hit so needless to say there was not much anticipation beyond the Xbox fanase leading up to it.

PS3 - The $599 price, removal of rumble, it's big titles being nowhere near release, and statements like "people will get a second job to get a PS3" made people want it to fail. Despite being the successor to the PS2, Sony was making a lot of bad moves leading to launch that completely put people off.

Wii - A very experimental console and the successor to the Gamecube, which sold even worse than the first Xbox. While there was a general interest in it (especially with the motion controls and cheap price), it's popularity came more from the post-launch buzz rather than the months leading to the release.

Wii U - Even with the rapid success of the Wii and rise of Nintendo selling tons of first party games, there was almost no buzz for the Wii U and more confusion over what it was even with some asking if it was a controller. Unsurprisingly, it ended up being a massive flop.

Xbox One - Microsoft made the Xbox brand huge in NA and the UK with the Xbox 360, but the horrible reveal that focused on TV and forced Kinect was a blow against it. The attempt at killing used games on it and the bizarre design choices, having it $100 more expensive than the PS4, and so on made it have a lot of negative buzz leading to launch more than anything.

PS4 - Easily the strongest product unveiling around that time compared to the Xbox One and Wii U, it even nailed the price being $399. People championed it early on just because it was not pushing the policies MS tried to push. But being the successor to the PS3, which lost a lot of consumers to the 360, made it's buzz not as strong as it was during the PS1 and PS2 days since Xbox was still quite huge with the 360 as the PS4 was approaching launch.

Switch - A great new hybrid gaming device that got a lot of interest, but it was similar to the Wii where the hype exploded post-launch.

The PS5 and Xbox Series SIX are both getting very good vibes, but I think its clear that the PS5 has much more anticipation due to the general popularity of the PlayStation brand and the fact that it is the successor to the 110+ million selling PS4. With the amount of likes that any related video gets and the millions and millions of views the game videos and events get, it feels like this is the PS2 level anticipation if social media were a thing at it's launch. I really can't remember a platform launch with this much hype.

If you don't think it is, please list the console you think was more anticipated in recent years in the comments

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the most anticipated console since the last one
and that was the most anticipated since the one before that
etc;

Jan 10, 2018
Wii - A very experimental console and the successor to the Gamecube, which sold even worse than the first Xbox.

Objection

Tiber

Nov 1, 2017
Sure is for me, infact it's the first console I have ever bought on launch.

The PS4 was the console of dreams and will be dearly missed.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Seems pretty obvious that it is. PS4 was coming off an up and down gen and had a lot to prove. PS3 was a year later than the competition with an incredibly high price.

PS5 comes off a consistently strong gen, has great hardware and has a lot of software to support it for the first two years.

Edit: Thought this was Sony specific.

Switch is it's only competitor.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe??? Gaming keeps becoming increasingly main stream over time. So I could see it for that reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Noooooo way

you do not understand the hype level for ps2

it almost single handedly killed one of its competitors based on hype ALONE

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's not even remotely comparable to the hype for PS2. More enthusiasm for Wii and Switch as well if counting more recent systems, I'd say.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PS4 had more hype behind it IMO. And honestly N64.

But PS2 takes the cake, for sure.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Wii - A very experimental console and the successor to the Gamecube, which sold even worse than the first Xbox. While there was a general interest in it (especially with the motion controls and cheap price), it's popularity came more from the post-launch buzz rather than the months leading to the release.

What.

I had to stand in a line for 13 hours for my Wii. The lines for it and the midnight release made it onto the local news. The Wii launch was crazy. Everyone wanted one and there wasn't anywhere near enough. It definitely didn't come in post-launch buzz.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
This is the least hype I've ever seen around a console launch among people I know. Launching without any exciting games puts a pretty huge damper on things. Especially when almost everything is cross-gen.

The Wii with Twilight Princess was a launch that's pretty hard to forget though. Even Switch felt a bit tamer in comparison?

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
If I remember correct Ps2 was so powerful at the time it was said Iraq wanted them to launch rockets. PS5 is great but the hype to me was higher for PS2 and PS3.

SunPie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just anecdotal but I don't know anyone planning to get one at launch, probably just my circles though.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Honestly? I think the anticipation feels super tepid for the PS5/XSX. Which is really surprising given the COVID situation.

PS3/PS4/Wii/Switch were all more anticipated than the PS5.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
I have to echo that it was the Wii imo. Like another stated, I waited in line at a Toys R Us for 12+ hours to get one at midnight launch.

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There is more hype for PS5 than there was for PS4. I haven't run the numbers on this myself but I'm pretty sure it's outperforming the PS4 roll out from an analytics perspective.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
What.

I had to stand in a line for 13 hours for my Wii. The lines for it and the midnight release made it onto the local news. The Wii launch was crazy. Everyone wanted one and there wasn't anywhere near enough. It definitely didn't come in post-launch buzz.

I stood in line with my mom for a Gamecube for many hours lol. That is usually the case for any launch, but I can't remember anyone in school or my circle of gamer friends who were going crazy for the Wii leading to the launch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
You are massively, massively underselling the Wii prelaunch hype. There was even an extremely famous South Park episode about how crazy the hype for Wii was.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, even 4 felt more hype. Probably because the disaster of MS markerting and the failure of the WiiU

Jun 23, 2019
Why is everyone talking about PS2? OP said the most hyped SINCE PS2. I would agree that it is due to the unique circumstances surrounding this launch cycle. The pandemic has only exacerbated the desire for video games and entertainment.

I don't agree with the Wii or PS4 though as the Wii was one of the items that many people had no clue would turn out before launch, and then when launch happened and everyone saw how popular it was, that was when it took off. PS4 sold out at launch, but it wasn't like PS2/Tickle Me Elmo levels. I think there's a possibility PS5 gets within striking distance of that.

T-Virus

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 5, 2020
Lol no. It's the Wii
This was e3 2006. People running to play the Wii

10Qwa9NDpwhSDu.gif

OP
OP
SilverX

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
There is more hype for PS5 than there was for PS4. I haven't run the numbers on this myself but I'm pretty sure it's outperforming the PS4 roll out from an analytics perspective. Numbers I am privy to have been very strong.

Yup, that is also true. There is more demand for PS5 at the same point in time for the PS4.

But I remember that the PS4 wasn't convincing everyone, especially those who grew to love Xbox. I even saw the Xbox One reveal with a few people and they were like "This is so bad, I hate what they are doing ..... but I'm still getting one instead of the PS4. Its Xbox." Sony had an uphill battle here in the US when it came to winning people back with the PS4

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
What.

The Wii didn't have global levels of hype like the PS2 did. Even in developing markets, people kept tabs on it: in a time where internet use wasn't as widespread.

Oct 26, 2017
PS2 was king, even PS4 surpasses it.

People were TIRED of the PS3/360 generation. It was CLUNKY at the end.

The PS4 still has life in it (maybe because of the PRO, but I doubt it's the only reason)