• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
First I want to say that I believe both the XSX and the PS5 will be capable of providing a true generational leap over current generation consoles. That being said, I have seen very little hype surrounding the XSX architecture compared to the PS5 on this forum and I'm not sure why. Both consoles are monsters compared to the current generation. Both have vastly superior CPU's and GPU's, and both have SSD's. The key differences being 3D audio, raw GPU power, and SSD throughput.

I've seen a ton of hype about how the PS5 SSD I/O is a game changer for game design, and while that may be true, it can only be fully taken advantage of by 1st party games. Sure, the raw speed of the PS5's SSD could make games load faster and have less pop in, but I'm not referring to that. I'm talking about games that are built from the ground up to utilize the PS5's faster SSD. So while it's cool that some 1st party game devs might take advantage of the PS5's much faster SSD throughput to create game worlds that aren't possible on the any other console, it's only going to be used by 1st party game studios. So for me, the hype surrounding it is a bit overblown. Both consoles will have advantages and disadvantages, but I can almost guarantee that they won't be game changers in the grand scheme of things.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally none of us (outside of the devs here) have played one to know. We've heard from devs and insiders that it's really fast, we have no reason to doubt them.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the answer is no unless you think Sony's paying off a bunch of insiders and developers to lie about it.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
we will see if it is overhyped.

that's the real answer.....either way the new generation is upon us and PS5 and XSX are huge steps up from what we had.

Be Excited.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Probably.

I imagine there'll still be loading, it'll just be shorter or hidden.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
We don't know yet for certain, but I think the fact that many Devs are excited about it might give a clue that it's actually a big deal.

ElephantShell

Oct 25, 2017
There's only one way to find out: see the games.

I've seen people with technical knowledge say it will make a huge difference and some say it won't. Devs seem to love it but those statements seem to get side-eye from people assuming they aren't being genuine (I have no idea why this is).

Really it will all be speculation until we start seeing games that use it.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Developers, who are the only ones that have access to the console, are really happy with it. I'm tired, Robbie.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.
There is nothing "PR" about the PS5 IO solution.

It's really, really fucking fast.

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Probably not? But hard to say until we see the extent of its use. The potential is absolutely huge though.

Oct 25, 2017
Only a bit?

Go all the way and say it is the most overhyped piece of tech ever. Don't half ass your thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.