• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
Over the last couple years i've noticed that when it comes to high quality 3rd party controllers, adapters, or even pi cases they only seem to cater to the NES, Snes or Megadrive

is it something to do with Sony themself? is it just down to the controller technology not being as well documented online?

DrMoguera

Oct 27, 2017
The modern Playstation controllers are just steadily improved versions of the original PS1 controller so seems pretty unnecessary.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
USB Dual Shock controllers are a dime a dozen.

And there's no point in the PS1 controllers without analog sticks.

edit: Also, RetroFlag is apparently working on PS1 Pi cases.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Same reason PS classic didn't do well. Because early 3D is hideous. Good 2D is timeless.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Sorta no need for that when PS2 controllers are backwards compatible.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I still have my PS3 if I want to play PS1 games.

*cat from the bjork music video voice* I should buy a vita

Oct 25, 2017
Ι wish 8bitdo made a wireless controller adapter for the PS1/PS2.
Using my gray 20th anniversary DS4 on my modded PS1 would be perfect.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
They're talking more hardware, like what companies like 8bitdo do, not software.
But we are still playing with a dual shock. And its way better than the PS1 version.

Things have not changed enough for us to miss that type of controller or game because we are still doing the same shit, but much better.

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
But we are still playing with a dual shock. And its way better than the PS1 version.

Things have not changed enough for us to miss that type of controller or game because we are still doing the same shit, but much better.
High quality replacement controllers aren't really a thing though.

Like, I can get a wireless 8bitdo controller for NES, SNES, or Genesis, and know that I'm getting something that is on-par with 1st party stuff. There isn't really an option for PS1/2 aside from cheap knock off controllers or old 1st party stuff.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
DS3 was just an iteration of DS1 so really no need for retro PS1 controllers, even the DS4 is quite similar except for the touchpad and redesigned (superior) triggers. Dunno why hardware cases of Gamecube/PS1/Dreamcast haven't come along for Pi builds. I don't think people would want the casing of an original Xbox though...

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TBH the use case of a classic PS1 controller, even with analogue sticks just doesn't seem that reasonable when you have the DS4. Oldschool Sega and Nintendo controllers feel way better than whatever modern counterparts they have for the games that were designed around them in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not what I want.
I want this....
31HcDW3iUaL.jpg

....but for the PS1.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I really just dont see the point. I doubt there is a big market for it as oppose to an adapter to get ds3 or 4 working on a ps1 instead. particularly when used ps1 and ps2 controllers are a dime a dozen and interchangeable with each other.

OP
OP
Oldmario

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I really just dont see the point. I doubt there is a big market for it as oppose to an adapter to get ds3 or 4 working on a ps1 instead. particularly when used ps1 and ps2 controllers are a dime a dozen and interchangeable with each other.
it's pretty impossible to find a decent condition controller for the PS1 or PS2, people tend to tightly wrap the cable around the controller which eventually leads to the controller cable either being a twisted mess like some i've seen or they disconnect at certain angles

Exactly. Sony is the only company to have basically the same controller for four straight gens. When the PS5 comes out guess what the controller will be?
there are certain differences between the 4 dualshock controllers, the 4th one doesn't even look the same as the other 3 and it feels like an overly bloated controller

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
it's pretty impossible to find a decent condition controller for the PS1 or PS2, people tend to tightly wrap the cable around the controller which eventually leads to the controller cable either being a twisted mess like some i've seen or they disconnect at certain angles

must be difference of areas I have a ton of retro game shops in my area, and I've seen what you described, but there are always many more in great condition.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018

there are certain differences between the 4 dualshock controllers, the 4th one doesn't even look the same as the other 3 and it feels like an overly bloated controller

I said basically the same controller. The DualShock 1-4 are basically the same controller. Of course there are advancements and certain differences, it's been 25 fucking years.

OP
OP
Oldmario

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I said basically the same controller. The DualShock 1-4 are basically the same controller. Of course there are advancements and certain differences, it's been 25 fucking years.
the xbox 360 and xbox one controller are pretty similar, does that mean those are the same controllers too?

the dualshock 1,2,3 are all different sizes with the DS1 being the smallest, the DS3 has trigger buttons rather than the traditional shoulder so they aren't basically the same controller, it's like saying a dvd and blu-ray are the same because they are both round and both store digital video

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
the xbox 360 and xbox one controller are pretty similar, does that mean those are the same controllers too?

the dualshock 1,2,3 are all different sizes with the DS1 being the smallest, the DS3 has trigger buttons rather than the traditional shoulder so they aren't basically the same controller, it's like saying a dvd and blu-ray are the same because they are both round and both store digital video

Because apparently you can't read,

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Same reason PS classic didn't do well. Because early 3D is hideous. Good 2D is timeless.

I'd say the flood of retro looking pixel games are awful for the most part.

People will welcome the move to games that resemble early 3D efforts. Especially on modern hardware where the image will be a lot cleaner, and with better draw distances.

Oct 27, 2017

bro let it rest, they're basically the same controller.