• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Punished Dan

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the PS+ Collection was put in place as a means to potentially give PS5 owners something new to play after the post launch software draught.

I'm sure the pandemic has had a big impact on the development of PS5 games.

Outside of Demon's Souls, Bugsnax and Astro's Playroom I've mainly been playing PS4 games (that have benefited from the new hardware so no complaints here) on the PS5 whilst waiting for new games to come along. June needs to hurry up!

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017
Are you referring to the 3DS Ambassador program? That was a make-good because they dropped the price like 3 months after launch.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The ambassador program gave people GBA games and it was literally the only way to play GBA games on 3DS outside of hacking. Sony would have to have tossed some PSOne/PS2 games on the service to make it comparable. All the games in the PS+ Collection are readily purchasable unlike the ambassador program.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
No, I think it's a combination of differentiating PS+ from Gamepass by bringing permanent high quality titles and an incentive for new buyers to subscribe to PS+.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe they should give more games to people who have been trying to buy a PS5 for 4 months but can't, when they eventually get one.

T-800

Oct 30, 2017
User Warned: Platform Warring
I wonder if the PS+ Collection was put in place as a means to potentially give PS5 owners something new to play after the post launch software draught.

Outside of Demon's Souls, Bugsnax and Astro's Playroom I've mainly been playing PS4 games (that have benefited from the new hardware so no complaints here) on the PS5 whilst waiting for new games to come along. June needs to hurry up!

What new games are Xbox owners playing?

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The PS+ collection was made to add more value to the PS5 and drive people into subscribing. The big question is whether they will build upon it or drop it off once the PS5 finds its cruise speed.
One thing they could do is, each month, taking one game that was previously offered into Plus and put it into the Collection for permanent availability.

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
The PS+ collection was made to add more value to the PS5 and drive people into subscribing. The big question is whether they will build upon it or drop it off once the PS5 finds its cruise speed.
One thing they could do is, each month, taking one game that was previously offered into Plus and put it into the Collection for permanent availability.
I hope so, some big PS4 exclusives, are missing from it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the comparison really works. The Ambassador Program was a freebie for everyone. No purchase necessary (other than the console lol)

The PS+ Collection requires a PS+ subscription. It's definitely a really cheap (for Sony) way of boosting the attach rate of PS+ subs for new PS5 buyers. It's not a free gift. It's a drive to get early buyers locked in to paying for PS+ yearly.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
What new games are Xbox owners playing?

Not sure what Xbox has to do with his post, but here's my current lineup:

New
- The Medium
- Hitman III
- Call of the Sea

Game Pass
- Yakuza 3-5 (and Yakuza Like a Dragon)
- Cyber Shadow
- Desperados III

Still rocking These
- Tetris Effect Connected
- Sea of Thieves (120fps mode + Season 1)
- Gears 5 (Hivebusters was awesome, and looked amazing)

I'm sure the PS+ collection has gone some way to give gamers stuff to play, and I'm sure Sony considered that. It always seemed more like a counter-point to Game Pass to me though. A way to give new PS gamers an instant collection and to catch up on missed games. The Days Gone and God of War 60fps updates were nice bonuses.

Poldino

Oct 27, 2020
There is plenty to play in the coming months and lots of PS5 exclusives, so I don't think that's the reason for the PS Plus Collection

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
No, I think the PS+ Collection is just Sony trying to incentivize new PS5 owners to subscribe to PS+ immediately, even though there aren't a ton of PS5 games to get yet. The idea being that if someone gets a PS+ subscription when they buy the system, they're more likely to keep that subscription for the entirety of the system's life.

TΛPIVVΛ

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think the comparison really works. The Ambassador Program was a freebie for everyone. No purchase necessary (other than the console lol)

The PS+ Collection requires a PS+ subscription. It's definitely a really cheap (for Sony) way of boosting the attach rate of PS+ subs for new PS5 buyers. It's not a free gift. It's a drive to get early buyers locked in to paying for PS+ yearly.
Not necessarily quite 'free' for everyone, 3ds had to have been purchased and logged onto the eshop before August 12th 2011 5 months after its initial release before the price drop lol

This mention took me back still have my snes new 3ds ambassador around somewhere haha those gba games were and still are awesome

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I just see it was a way to combat those considering an Xbox for gamepass without actually having to make their own gamepass.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, it is definitely a way to incentivize people to jump into the PS5 when there still aren't that many big exclusives. That being said, there have already been a number of quality and exclusives and there are more on the way, so it isn't even like this is a particularly weak first year for a console. If anything, it is one of the better ones we have seen in recent history (if all the planned games actually release, that is).

Oct 28, 2017
Isn't that PS Now? 😅
It is and it's a very good service they just need to focus on more modern titles for it. The price is better than Gamepass and the fact you can stream the entire library is a plus. And its PS3 library wipes the floor with Gamepass's older content. Gamepass just has the better newer content/bigger gets. And obviously it has all the first party stuff day 1. Even if Sony doesn't do day 1 first party stuff, they should be investing to get bigger/more recent titles on it more regularly.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
It's also a way to convince PS4 owners to get a PS5 digital while still keeping some of the best games they might have had on disc.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Well, no, that was a reward for early adopters that came later post price drop. And only those already locked in before could benefit .PS+ collection is more of an incentive, although the PS5 doesn't really need that as it won't stay on shelves anyway.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it was intended as such, but it really has helped with the usual relative post launch slowness.

immortal-joe

Oct 25, 2017
It's closer to the 'Instant Game Collection' during the early days of the Vita, you bunch of non-Vita owning heathens.

Oct 30, 2017
Love the + collection and swayed me to get a PS5 at launch.
considering I've only just finished Miles Morales and have Returnal, Deathloop and Ratchet coming up and not feeling a drought at all.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After finishing both Spiderman games, I've been playing God of War. I only wish more of the games in the Playstation Plus Playstation collection were 60 fps like the new GOW patch. I'm waiting for The Last Guardian.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Well, no, that was a reward for early adopters that came later post price drop. And only those already locked in before could benefit .PS+ collection is more of an incentive, although the PS5 doesn't really need that as it won't stay on shelves anyway.

I think its an incentive to get people to sub to PS+, not to get them to buy a PS5.

They don't need to give away Days Gone or Black Ops 3 or whatever to get people to buy PS5s. I guess they see value in getting the most amount of early adopters giving them $60 a year for PS+ though. Makes sense.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They just want to retain PS Plus subscriptions. It's an added incentive to ensure any and all PS5 owners are subscribed.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
We have a PS5 for people who want a cheaper console it's called the digital edition. Beyond that don't expect a price drop given they are selling them at a small loss and a cheaper semiconductor process is likely 4 years out.

Yeah, at most I could see Sony play around with including additional pack in games and doing different SSD sizes but even that I won't think will happen until late 2022 at the earliest. The prices and configurations of these consoles now is what they'll be for some time.

Oct 27, 2017
We have a PS5 for people who want a cheaper console it's called the digital edition. Beyond that don't expect a price drop given they are selling them at a small loss and a cheaper semiconductor process is likely 4 years out.
I don't think it's that far out. In 2023 by fall they should be able to do a 3nm revision, if that's too costly they can do a 5nm revision. Cut 20-40% of energy depending on 3 or 5nm, move from 8 2GB chips to 4 4GB RAM chips to save space on board, reduce size of fan, heatsink, entire console. And SSD prices should continue to come down as other companies start using similar drives.

not to mention I bet dualsense costs $25-$30 to make at $70 MSRP, costs will come down and I can see it getting to DS4 territory at $15ish to make, adding $10-$15 in profit per controller sold. Not to mention they will raise price to $74.99 I bet when they release other colors.

I can see $399 for main disc model holiday 22, at least as a Bf sale, and 299-349 slim model in fall 23.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Since I got mine I played: Demon's Souls, Astro, Miles Morales, Watch Dogs Legion, Assassin's creed Valhalla, COD Cold War.

Through PS+ : Destruction All Stars, Man Eater.

I mean, there's a lot of content there. Personally, I don't feel the draught.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
I'd say no. The collection showcases BC, gives those who skipped the PS4 a reason to go straight to PS5, and shows instant value in subscribing to PS+.

mattiewheels

Oct 27, 2017
This is an interesting reminder to me of how much trouble the 3DS was in. Never seen such a panicked first year for a system that was now considered very successful.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
I don't think it's that far out. In 2023 by fall they should be able to do a 3nm revision, if that's too costly they can do a 5nm revision. Cut 20-40% of energy depending on 3 or 5nm, move from 8 2GB chips to 4 4GB RAM chips to save space on board, reduce size of fan, heatsink, entire console. And SSD prices should continue to come down as other companies start using similar drives.

not to mention I bet dualsense costs $25-$30 to make at $70 MSRP, costs will come down and I can see it getting to DS4 territory at $15ish to make, adding $10-$15 in profit per controller sold. Not to mention they will raise price to $74.99 I bet when they release other colors.

I can see $399 for main disc model holiday 22, at least as a Bf sale, and 299-349 slim model in fall 23.
Fabs will be charging a hefty premium to access those smaller processes which isn't going to jive with trying to make a cheaper console.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
The ambassador program gave people GBA games and it was literally the only way to play GBA games on 3DS outside of hacking. Sony would have to have tossed some PSOne/PS2 games on the service to make it comparable. All the games in the PS+ Collection are readily purchasable unlike the ambassador program.

This sums it up. They gave everyone 10 NES games and then the 10 GBA games, which for the GBA games, were only given away for the Ambassador program with no other way to get them. Which is a shame, because I would have loved it if they put more GBA games on there.

Oct 27, 2017
Fabs will be charging a hefty premium to access those smaller processes which isn't going to jive with trying to make a cheaper console.
True but I imagine they have already set prices in their deal with AMD. Even if they can get it for the same price as 2020 models, lower energy use allows them to shave a lot of costs.

if they moved to 3nm in late 2023, and let's say cut energy by 40-50%, they could save money on materials for the case, the fan, the heatsink, and more. Not to mention savings on reducing costs on SSD and Dualsense over time.

I think Xbox One S in 2016 came in at the same price as Xbox One in 2013 for the APU, but everything else that was cut really helped get down to that 299 MSRP.

at worst I'd think 299 digital model, 349 disc model for a 2023 slim. Maybe 2024 slim if 3nm is too costly idk