• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The dream would be a full card game released on both Switch and mobile (cross-play?) which includes a single player campaign akin to the game boy titles. I mean, if Mario Golf can bring that aspect back...

That just leaves me wondering who would make this. Game Freak isn't involved with the card game at all... Who made the game boy titles?

This way a big reason why I jumped into this game since there's nothing like the old Gameboy TCG game anymore lol.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's certainly not the worst art style to come out of the Pokemon TCG games....

maxresdefault.jpg

dby0pwe-8c7bba24-7f3c-4cad-9e33-e7219954bb9f.jpg

... It's beautiful.

Ramirez

Oct 26, 2017
How accessible is this for kids? My 11 year old told me he'd like to actually play on top of collecting, but one quick look at the instructions made my brain melt.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Yes.

But personally, it's hurt more by lack of any marketing or serious updates other than new card releases, clunky and slow UI, no ranked modes, and a bizarre pricing system where the only way to actually pay for stuff is to buy codes that come with physical boosters of reseller sites that always seem to be out of stock. It also feels like a game on life support that could be shut down at any moment, which obviously isn't good for a digital card game that wants you to put real money into it.

As for the artstyle, it basically looks like an early 2010s low budget browser web game. Because that's exactly what this game was when it launched, and it hasn't really been significantly updated since then.

NeoSabin

Aug 12, 2019
I have no idea why they never pushed for a phone client - this could have been massive online.

Specifically the ability to play in a Premade Deck queue to earn rewards was an excellent idea. Very newcomer friendly.
If you have an Android phone you can grab the apk from apkmirror and it'll run just fine.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they really should update the artstyle and character creation. The game is so much fun and quite popular. I have no idea why they haven't remade it to not like an early 2010s web game.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I was saying it when I was still playing PTCG online daily, it's a horrible client aesthetically and I don't understand why they haven't considered retooling it. The sim itself is very solid and is well designed but the avatars and presentation really do not look like Pokemon. I almost wish they did a Duel Links approach where you could be famous characters from the show/games but I don't know how you would be able to implement that with PTCGO's current monetization models

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I think it's more the fact that it doesn't have a mobile version.

What I love about the game is that every physical deck/booster comes with a code to redeem it on the game, and there's no MTX on the app whatsoever.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It is a good game, but really unappealing as f*ck, yeah they really should do more with it, and maybe make a console version as well.
I still have it installed on my iPad.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
The real issue is the horrendous UI and UX. Something as simple as just trying to view your collection or build a deck is impressively cumbersome. There were Yugioh games on GBA that did it better.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
I didn't know it exist but if I've seen it in passing, I'd have thought that this was a knock off game.

GronkyKong

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The app downloaded from Google play onto my s21 Ultra, it just gave a pop up in game that the resolution is not supported so might not behave properly but so far its been fine.

The PC client is really good, though.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
I guess it's bland but once your out of the tutorial you spend approximating .001% of the time starting at those avatars. Should if be improved, deffinitely but I dont think it holds the game back in any way.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Yes.

But personally, it's hurt more by lack of any marketing or serious updates other than new card releases, clunky and slow UI, no ranked modes, and a bizarre pricing system where the only way to actually pay for stuff is to buy codes that come with physical boosters of reseller sites that always seem to be out of stock. It also feels like a game on life support that could be shut down at any moment, which obviously isn't good for a digital card game that wants you to put real money into it.

As for the artstyle, it basically looks like an early 2010s low budget browser web game. Because that's exactly what this game was when it launched, and it hasn't really been significantly updated since then.

I'm not going to plug sites but if you just Google pokemon tcg codes you will very quickly find sites selling the codes that are very rarely out of stock on boosters. Also just go to ebay or Amazon both of which have TONS of codes for sale.

Yes the system is dumb as it stands but I'm glad there arnt real in game micro transactions because then they would shut down the Grey market on codes in a hurry and they would cost way way more through an official source.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm not trying to sound rude or snarky I'm genuinely curious, does the Pokémon card game bring in a lot of money for the Pokémon Company? Do they not have the resources to make this look better and play a lot smoother?
Yeah, it brings in a lot of money. Especially right now when they literally cannot keep cards in stock more than minutes at a time. I suspect it's pulling in far more money than ever right now.

I guess they looked to GameFreak for guidance in the "how do we generate billions of dollars while still looking like a garage operation" department.

WebSwingKing

Oct 15, 2019
I guess it's bland but once your out of the tutorial you spend approximating .001% of the time starting at those avatars. Should if be improved, deffinitely but I dont think it holds the game back in any way.
I actually agree with this. Once you start playing pvp you don't even notice the avatars. I don't think the artstyle is great but it's not necessary to enjoy the game. It's mostly about the cards themselves.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
to be honest, I'm not really sure why it even exists to begin with. I don't think they even monetize it. It's just kinda there as a simulator for people that don't want physical cards

there seems to have been a resurgence of interest In the TCG lately so I would hope they would finally capitalize on it but at this point it seems unlikely. I think they're afraid of the monetization aspects of it

Last edited:

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
*snips incorrect info*

edit: You get a virtual pack, not the same cards. totally forgot. it's been years since i played.

Last edited:

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
Despite "Online" in the name, is there a way to play and practice with NPCs? Obviously I'm fine if those matches do nothing for my rank or cards I earn or anything like that. I just want to practice solo before embarrassing myself online because it's been forever since I played the game and I am definitely rusty.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Despite "Online" in the name, is there a way to play and practice with NPCs? Obviously I'm fine if those matches do nothing for my rank or cards I earn or anything like that. I just want to practice solo before embarrassing myself online because it's been forever since I played the game and I am definitely rusty.
Yeah this game has a tutorial/story mode.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
The one thing I like about it is that you get the exact cards from a physical pack you purchase using the code included.

I dont think this is true? I havnt bought a physical pack in like 10 years but it deffinitely wasn't true back then. If it was true now ppl would deffinitely be selling them as "Centiscorch V max confirmed booster code" instead of just selling them in bulk.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
I dont think this is true? I havnt bought a physical pack in like 10 years but it deffinitely wasn't true back then. If it was true now ppl would deffinitely be selling them as "Centiscorch V max confirmed booster code" instead of just selling them in bulk.
Yes, you are correct. I was completely wrong on that. You get a virtual pack, not a clone of the one purchased. Edited my post. Thanks for correcting me!

jankuza

Jan 13, 2021
The Problem is that TCG Online is a TPCi Project and not a TPC Project. The Game itself is alright but the avatars are garbage wannabe Anime. I Hope that someday TPC will develop a new Version for Switch, Mobile and PC.

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
This could be huge and honestly the answer to their endless attempts at mobile spin-offs if they pulled it off right... it has never made sense to me.

Firestorm

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The Problem is that TCG Online is a TPCi Project and not a TPC Project. The Game itself is alright but the avatars are garbage wannabe Anime. I Hope that someday TPC will develop a new Version for Switch, Mobile and PC.
Er, why do you think that TPC would do a better job? I can't think of anything I've experience with regards to the video game or card game where the TPC equivalent was better than the TPCi product.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has a pretty atrocious interface and the client specific art style is just so...Bland. But I can live with that. What I can't live with is playing cars games sitting at my desk. They need to make a phone client yesterday.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
God I really want either of this games available on iPhone. Mythgard and Stormbound are fun enough but still.