• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
it's kinda straightforward but deceptively dishonest at the same time lol

of course it's designed for PS5 if you're selling it on PS5. the xbox version will be designed for xbox when it's no longer exclusive.

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
Timed exclusives especially when not clear are always gross , I thought it was a great presentation with a lot of great games but it's one thing I highly prefer is Xbox's messaging in modern days of what it actually means
You have first on Xbox for timed exclusives
Console exclusive for pc and Xbox and the likes it's easy to translate what it means or at least it feels easier . Here's the games from Sony's conference also coming to other consoles and Pc none of this was clear at all and it seems pretty deliberately misleading at times like Microsoft's tomb raider shambles years ago.

• Bugsnax (Timed exclusive)
  • Deathloop (Timed exclusive)
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo (Timed exclusive)
  • Godfall (Timed exclusive)
  • Goodbye Volcano High (Timed exclusive)
  • Grand Theft Auto V
  • Hitman 3
  • JETT: The Far Shore (Timed exclusive)
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits (Timed exclusive)
  • Little Devil Inside (Timed exclusive)
  • NBA 2K21
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm (Timed exclusive)
  • Pragmata
  • Project Athia (Timed exclusive)
  • Resident Evil: Village
  • Solar Ash (Timed exclusive)
  • Stray (Timed exclusive)
Yeah, this is disgusting.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Its no different than "Optimized for Series X"
I don't believe for a second that you actually believe that to be the case.

This isn't even the worst of it. Sony literally had Death Stranding trailers that said "Exclusive for Playstaion 4" only for a PC port to be announced like a month after release.

Optimized for Series X is no where as deceptive as saying "Designed exclusively for PS5". Designed exclusively for Playstation 5, but also playable on other platforms? It's literally a lie.

Winnie

Mar 12, 2020
"Designed for Playstation 5 and PC"

y1uVne4.png

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
I agree, this is intentionally ambiguous wording by Sony - just had to get that word "exclusive" in their I guess. Pretty soon this is going to be a "literally" situation...

Also, this thread really makes it obvious how rampant fanboyism is even on ERA.

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense to me.

Designed exclusively for PS5 = Designed for PS5 = PS5 is lead platform

If the game is on another platform, then it's a port of the PS5 version and does not hold back or limit the design of the game.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
it's both pure marketing nonsense and a bit true , ssd, bla bla bla.
irrelevant.
the fact you care or even think it's somewhat important tells a lot more about you than anything else tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
it's both pure marketing nonsense and a bit true , ssd, bla bla bla.
irrelevant.
the fact you care or even think it's somewhat important tells a lot more about your than anything else tbh.

It says we're not going to put up with misleading statements by a multinational corporations trying to sell us something?

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
User Warned - Unneeded Hostility
It says we're not going to put up with misleading statements by a multinational corporations trying to sell us something?
how new are you ?
seriously ?
12 year old ?
HO MY GOD a corporation is trying to sell you shit with a marketing catchphrase.
How new are you for Christ's sake ?
"Live In Your World, Play In Ours", "This is living ", "you will say wow"', "jump in", "power of the cloud".....
You are not mithridatized to this pointless bullshit yet ?
seriously.
stop.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Lol, it was really funny seeing "DESIGNED FOR THE PS5" and then finding out the game is coming to Xbox at a later date.
Will it be "DESIGNED FOR THE XBOX" then?

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense to me.

If the game is on another platform, then it's a port of the PS5 version and does not hold back or limit the design of the game.
Mind explaining to me how a game designed "exclusively" on the PS5 will also be releasing on PC day 1?

Focus on the word "Exclusively" here. Saying a game was designed "exclusively" on PS5 means it was not designed at all on any other platform (PC in this case) and as such, will not work on PC day 1 since they didn't do any design for the PC version.

In your defense of the statement you literally had to remove the keyword by saying "Designed exclusively for PS5 = Designed for PS5" which, I'm sorry as I don't mean to offend, but I found to be very funny.

Teamocil

Oct 25, 2017
It's not misleading, it's clear reading. It's designed to be better on a PS5, how it is that hard to understand?
Following your line of tought I could say that ''Optimized for XSX'' means that its not optimized for other consoles?
Edit: And of course this could be all PR Bullshit, but what do we know 🤷🏽‍♂️
The point is that it's not clear lol. The thread makes that obvious

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017

y1uVne4.png

Yeah now it's a lot more egregious a statement. Another great reminder of what you can expect at these shows

To be more blunt - they continue to explain the same on their site: https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/project-athia

RxzRrxe.png

ZS4L5jU.png

Makes sense to me.

As above, that obviously is not the case

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
"Designed exclusively for PS5" is a phrase being used to mislead the more casual fans of gaming that often are not interested in the details behind the gaming industry. "Best on", "First on", and "Optimized for" clearly imply options of other platforms. "Designed exclusively for" is false unless it will absolutely not work on another platform. Sony is just attempting to redefine the meaning to push a false narrative.

EekumBokum

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically Sony's way of making sure 3rd parties take advantage of their SSD tech. I wouldn't be surprised if we see this a lot next gen.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
It's not misleading, it's clear reading. It's designed to be better on a PS5, how it is that hard to understand?
Following your line of tought I could say that ''Optimized for XSX'' means that its not optimized for other consoles?
Edit: And of course this could be all PR Bullshit, but what do we know 🤷🏽‍♂️
If it said "Optimized Exclusively for XSX" then yes. You could make that argument. It's specifically the word "exclusive" that is the issue here (and probably why Square Enix seems to have dropped it from subsequent ad language).

Jakartalado

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Once again.... technology is tricky when it comes to development. It could be designed exclusively for PS5 and not possible on Xbox with 100% fidelity (mainly due to SSD, otherwise anything else is pretty much scalable).

But again... you could add some tricks to the loading speeds.

Like the Ratchet and Clank demo presented yesterday, it could be 1 second portal or could be a 10 second portal. It would hurt a bit, but again... scaled back to the console in question.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
"Coming first" is succinct, honest and to the point. No ambiguity and one I personally like a lot. I know right away that if I want to play it soonest, I need this device. If not, I must wait. Easy.
"Only for"/"Exclusive" is fine too - it doesn't matter if "X: Expanded Edition" then goes to another format since that's a different SKU then.

"Designed for" on one hand, duh, obviously. But then comes the ambiguity of in what way is it designed for X, like what, faster load times? What does this phrase try to say, exactly. I've seen legal teams be more picky on the dumbest of shit, so allowing this is a bit puzzling, personally.

Phrasing around which platform is the lead in terms of development is neither catchy nor that great a marketing message, so I can see why they would save such info for Press statements and QAs instead.

Just my take on it.

Or we continue to get such awesome phrasing as "the experience Xdevice is a game changer" or something about "experience".

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017

y1uVne4.png

Lmao just call it a console exclusive.

Designed exclusively the way it was worded in the reveal sounded like an exclusive that isn't just exclusive because they decided to not release it anywhere else but because it is 100% designed for ps5 with its ssd, dual sense features etc. in mind

Cargo Shorts

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Microsoft pull the same thing a few years ago at an E3, regarding the word 'exclusive'?

Edit: it was E3 2018. MS got shit for it then, and Sony should get crap for this as well.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, I find it hard to get as upset by meaningless marketing speak as a large portion of this forum seems to.

jackdoe

Oct 27, 2017
It's extremely terrible phrasing, and I was confused when the term popped up because I thought it was a sneaky way to imply console exclusivity when it wasn't actually console exclusive, but it turns it actually was console exclusive.

However, I'm not surprised that a confusing term was used since Square-Enix is no stranger to using head scratching terminology to announce timed exclusivity. See Rise of Tomb Raider's "Coming Holiday 2015, Exclusively on Xbox", whose timed/full exclusivity was a Schrodinger's Cat situation until Square-Enix put out a clarification press release.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a dog whistle to Sony fans. You'd have to be crazy to think Sony didn't pick up on all the shit Microsoft got for wanting to keep supporting this gen at the beginning of the next one.

Ikaruga

Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Its no different than "Optimized for Series X"
Oh, it's different, while every game that will be released on the PS5 or the Series X will be optimized for that platform(for the better or worse), being designed exclusively for something implies being something very special and not only being a timed exclusive -but Sony in the end didn't use that term in their marketing material, only the presentation, from what I've seen.

-Also the optimized term is used by microsoft to tell you that your old Xbox One or 360 game will get some special treatment if I remember correctly.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Lol yeah ridiculous, who are they fooling?
Didn't you see the early reactions in Era?

Also, this:
blog.playstation.com

A first look at Project Athia, designed for PS5

A vast and thrilling adventure awaits.

And sites reporting the same:
gamerant.com

Square Enix Reveals PS5 Exclusive Project Athia

Square Enix announces a new game from a new IP, codename Project Athia, that takes a girl from the modern world into a land of fantasy.
venturebeat.com

Project Athia is a PS5 exclusive from the makers of Final Fantasy XV

Square Enix revealed Project Athia during Sony's PlayStation 5 event today. It will be an exclusive for the upcoming console.

Square Enix reveal Project Athia, exclusively for PlayStation 5 | TheSixthAxis

Square Enix and developer Lumionous Productions have announced Project Athia (a working title), a fantasy adventure designed from the ground exclusively

They ain't gonna update their stories, leading to more misinformation.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can argue over the phrasing, "exclusively" as an adverb is ridiculous.

But at the end of the day you guys also predicted devs wouldn't use the unique features of PS5, Sony are spending money to have devs take advantage of 3D audio, haptic feedback, SSD.

Alexx

Oct 27, 2017
Mind explaining to me how a game designed "exclusively" on the PS5 will also be releasing on PC day 1?

Focus on the word "Exclusively" here. Saying a game was designed "exclusively" on PS5 means it was not designed at all on any other platform (PC in this case) and as such, will not work on PC day 1 since they didn't do any design for the PC version.

In your defense of the statement you literally had to remove the keyword by saying "Designed exclusively for PS5 = Designed for PS5" which, I'm sorry as I don't mean to offend, but I found to be very funny.

Designed does not mean developed. Designed means the game is made with certain specs/features in mind and will utilize those features as a baseline during development.

I dropped "exclusively" from my simplification to keep things simplified because people are focusing too much on it and are missing the ultimate meaning behind the phrase but glad I could entertain.

then why use the word "exclusively"?

For marketing/hype.

Yeah now it's a lot more egregious a statement. Another great reminder of what you can expect at these shows

To be more blunt - they continue to explain the same on their site: https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/project-athia

RxzRrxe.png

ZS4L5jU.png

As above, that obviously is not the case

If we interpret the "created specifically for" along with the "designed exclusively for PS5" part then it would make sense if you think PC >= PS5 = baseline.

Radium217

Banned
Oct 31, 2019
It just means it was made specifically with the strengths of the PS5. They use designed because the speed of the SSD fundamentally impacts design. It's not the same as technical optimization. It's not rocket science.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There will always be an even dumber term right around the corner.
Please don't underestimate marketing!

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
If we interpret the "created specifically for" along with the "designed exclusively for PS5" part then it would make sense if you think PC >= PS5 = baseline.

Despite "in development simultaneously on Playstation 5 and PC", and the previous statement literally "designed exclusively for PS5 and PC"

If you still want to argue otherwise, you are just seeing what you want to see

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It just means it was made specifically with the strengths of the PS5. They use designed because the speed of the SSD fundamentally impacts design. It's not the same as technical optimization. It's not rocket science.
There was only 1 game that used the term, and they updated it shortly later.

Does that mean that they changed their mind about utilizing the SSD speed design and remaking the game from scratch?