• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
I recall it being kind of a mess when it first came out. Does it still crash randomly or can I expect to be able to play through the story without issue?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's been fine for a long time. Played it to completion (120hrs) this year with excellent performance and no crashing.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
I´ve been playing it for the last 3 weeks and had no issues.

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
OP I highly encourage you to go to Steam forums for the game and also Reddit to get a more diverse perspective on performance and bugs/issues. When I checked in July (when I was considering playing it), there were reports of absolutely catastrophic bugs and display issues that made the game unplayable for some. Not sure if those particular issues have been resolved (they were introduced as an unintentional byproduct of a patch, apparently), but within the month or so I was keeping up on the state of the game, Rockstar hadn't acknowledged, much less addressed the issues. So good luck.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
OP I highly encourage you to go to Steam forums for the game and also Reddit to get a more diverse perspective on performance and bugs/issues. When I checked in July (when I was considering playing it), there were reports of absolutely catastrophic bugs and display issues that made the game unplayable for some. Not sure if those particular issues have been resolved (they were introduced as an unintentional byproduct of a patch, apparently), but within the month or so I was keeping up on the state of the game, Rockstar hadn't acknowledged, much less addressed the issues. So good luck.
you will always find reports like that on any pc game specific forum.

Fxp

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely fine now. Just follow the PC optimization videos:
www.youtube.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 Optimization [Part 1] Let's Greatly Improve PC Performance!

Watch part 2 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3xQ33Cq4CE Support us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxed Merch: http://crowdmade.com/har...
www.youtube.com

Red Dead Redemption 2 Optimization [Part 2] Advanced Settings Tested for Even More Gains

Watch Part 1 Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=385eG1IEZMUSupport us on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/hardwareunboxedMerch: http://crowdmade.com/hardw...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Weird, got it at launch on PC and played it to completion without a single issue. Definitely a demanding game that took some graphical settings tweaks to keep a somewhat solid 60fps on my 1080ti/i7 920, but that was about it.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall it having any major issues when it launched, actually remember it being praised for being well optimized. I did just buy it on Steam and returned it because performance wasn't ideal for me...playing on GTX 970, which is below recommended spec. Will have a 2070 super in a few weeks and my buy it again to see how it runs.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Only issues I've had with it were with audio stuttering with an external sound card (had to use optical cable just for this game). Other than that... very solid performance on an slightly older cpu (i7 4760k, gpu 1080ti) that caused issues with every OW ubisoft title I've played. solid 60 fps, no crashes.. needed a bit of options fiddling though.

Flandy

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It'll randomly crash on me sometimes when booting. Vulcan seems to be unstable for me too so I had to start using DX12

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I don't think it was ever that bad but yeah, definitely more stable now. I played through a month or so ago and I don't recall ever crashing or hitting into any severe bugs. Just the odd bit of jank.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing for quite a few days now. My biggest problem was a bug where a shop would always show up as closed whenever I got near it. Fixed it by saving and reloading the game.

Aside from a few minor graphics glitches and the fact that the game's audio is ALWAYS too low (have to correct it in the Windows sound mixer every time I launch), it's an excellent port. Still 0 crashes.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Weird, got it at launch on PC and played it to completion without a single issue. Definitely a demanding game that took some graphical settings tweaks to keep a somewhat solid 60fps on my 1080ti/i7 920, but that was about it.
Only issues I've had with it were with audio stuttering with an external sound card (had to use optical cable just for this game). Other than that... very solid performance on an slightly older cpu (i7 4760k, gpu 1080ti) that caused issues with every OW ubisoft title I've played. solid 60 fps, no crashes.. needed a bit of options fiddling though.

Interesting, what resolution? I was under the impression that 1080ti wasn't enough for a stable 60fps, but I'm at 1440p. If I can do a solid 60 at 1440p by just lowering the settings a bit, I'm definitely biting on the PC version one of these days.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Interesting, what resolution? I was under the impression that 1080ti wasn't enough for a stable 60fps, but I'm at 1440p. If I can do a solid 60 at 1440p by just lowering the settings a bit, I'm definitely biting on the PC version one of these days.
1440p. Not even all that low settings, mostly high. A few options on ultra that aren't costly going after digital foundry a video from alex.
The game looks somewhat soft at 1440p, so I recommend a bit of sharpening via Nvidia control panel. It definitely was the most visually stunning game I've ever played, so go for it (:

rare

Oct 25, 2017
Once you go above 1440p it gets harder to run at 60 FPS in my experience with it (I run my games at 3440x1440 but RDR2 can't handle it that high for whatever reason on my 2080).
If you've got the hardware for it go right ahead, still one of my favorite games ever.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm still at 1080p but had my resolution scale set to 1.5x to improve IQ, with most settings on Ultra/High save for Reflections and Atmospherics and much of the advanced graphics settings which were at Medium with a few things like the various quality settings still on High/Ultra.

Game looks sharp and crisp and maintains 60fps most of the time save for really dense areas like Saint Denis(which at its worst never goes below 50 and usually falls between 55-60). I can share full settings if you like.

Last edited:

ASEdouard

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I recall it being kind of a mess when it first came out. Does it still crash randomly or can I expect to be able to play through the story without issue?

The online part is still a mess of course, like on consoles, but the main game is polished and works great. Crazy beautiful of course, also.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand your thinking here, I can't ever encourage anybody to go to the Steam forums, for anything, ever.

What a cesspit.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The online part is still a mess of course, like on consoles, but the main game is polished and works great. Crazy beautiful of course, also.
Saint Denis at night is omg. Saint Denis at night in fog in the rain is OMG.

The weather effects in general are just lovely. There are a bunch of different rain types, thunderstorms in the distance, all that stuff. God damn.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Random crashes in games are usually a sign of unstable hardware; typically an overclock (even factory-overclocked).
Not always, of course, but a lot of people are quick to blame the game instead of their hardware.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
Once you go above 1440p it gets harder to run at 60 FPS in my experience with it (I run my games at 3440x1440 but RDR2 can't handle it that high for whatever reason on my 2080).
If you've got the hardware for it go right ahead, still one of my favorite games ever.
Um! Mines stayed above 60 and i downsampled in the process above 1440p. What CPU are you using?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Saying it's good is a stretch, it's ok I guess. The last patch for RDRO just introduced a new bug where the game audio in Windows is at 5% everytime you boot the game so you have to alt tab out and manually put it back to 100.

dadoes

Feb 15, 2018
I originally beat it on my ps4pro, but running it on a my pc with a 3080 at 4k@60 is an amazing experience.

Last edited: