• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it?

• What a beast!

Votes: 281 44.3%
  • What an ugly beast!

Votes: 270 42.5%
  • I have no strong feelings one way or the other.

Votes: 84 13.2%

• Total voters

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
All these console comparisons going around with the PS5 have reminded that I quite liked how the PHAT PS3 looked back in the day.

XVqYkFq.png

So shiny and chrome!
KEXsUxT.gif

The glossy look of the machine with that silver stripe really do it for me. There's a real visual balance at play, with the bulk of device (seemingly) on one side and the drive/buttons/IO on the other. And little details like being able to turn the PS button around depending on whether the PS3 is sitting in a horizontal or vertical position.

2234-problema-fechas-ps3-fat-corregido.jpg

Speaking of buttons, the PS3 had some pretty sweet touch sensitive "buttons" for the power and eject.

ps3_front_1.jpg

On the front side everything looks like it fits together really well, stuff like arranging the USB ports and the vents on the bottom rung of the console just looks right. Like I said earlier, there's a real balance to the design. Meanwhile on the PS5 the USB ports are inexplicably in the dang front of the dang thing.

On the OG PS3 I always felt like everything seemed to add up to what clearly looked like an expensive and premium product, which it was!

The PS3 was the butt of many jokes (mainly how it supposedly looks a grill), and it was pretty fucking huge to be fair (no longer the biggest Playstation hardware out there though)but I always liked my old phat and was pretty sad when it died of YLOD.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I'm going to miss the old styled controllers. I don't know if I can replace those controllers for my PS2 phat console.

u_neek

Oct 28, 2017
I have always hated that Spider-Man font (I'm not a fan of the original PS3 design either).

ShutterMunster

Art Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The PS3 was gorgeous from day one. I've said this before and I'll say it again, most of y'all have no taste! Haha.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
i always thought it was incredibly nice looking, but it pretty much got microscratches on it the moment you took it out from the box lol
the slim redesign was so ugly compared to it

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
The only redeeming part of this hardware was the launch model that had a built in PS2.

Otherwise I think it's ugly.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
yes, I think it's got a premium, classy look to it.

It would be one of the best looking consoles I own if it didn't have so many scratches on it.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The middle pic is from the cheepo version w/o the chrome finish, I bet that flap doesn't even open.

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It looked classy and expensive, but it scratched easily and it was very chunky. I wouldn't be embarrassed to have it my entertainment center like I would a PS5.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Always thought it was ugly AF. Only good looking PS3 is this beauty:

61AlsXa%2BzdL._AC_SX569_.jpg

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It was easily the ugliest PlayStation console.

From minor details such as the font to large issues such as the shine.

The original PS3 slim model is the only PS3 model that looks okay.

AAION

Dec 28, 2018
Matte + angular >>> glossy + curved. PS4 and Xbox One are miles above the PS3 and 360 in terms of console design

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
No, it looked like a fat barrel and attracted fingerprints like nothing else ever created by man.

Also non-physical buttons on a console are awful and have conistently been the first thing to go on my PS3 and 4.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was quite good. It's one of those systems where it looked much better in person.
Yes it was glossy and quite unpractical and huge, but I thought it looked and felt very premium at the time.
Things like glossy cover, embossed Playstation logo, and the overall material felt quite nice.
I certainly prefer this design over every other playstation design that came after.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I prefer the look of the prototype which is a little bit slimmer I think. But it's pretty nice design imo

My opinion is opposite of yours, this is the ugliest PS3 for me lol
You gotta be clearer with your sarcasm, man. People might actually believe you.
Oh god, not that one

The original slim was miles better:
1366_2000.jpg
no, this is ugly af

black n chrome ps3 original phat is best
It's not my fault I'm right 🏃‍♂️

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
It's without question their ugliest design. Like everything else from the mid-2000's (fashion, design, and overall aesthetics), it was an ugly transition period as we escaped the 90's and approached the 2010s. I see that PlayStation 3 design and it evokes memories of stuff like this:

5e4da589a27fc55b961a2112

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It would match up with this gen in that it looks like a grill.

Slim PS2 is still Sony's best design.