• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you think the Nintendo Switch is a good value at $299?

• Yes

Votes: 1,338 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 868 39.3%

• Total voters
Apr 21, 2018
I see what you mean, but losing all that profit would not make sense for Nintendo. They will sell gangbusters of Switches this holiday - without a pricedrop.

Well it's always kind of a multifaceted answer to this questions.

Business Answer: Keep the price the same for maximum profit.
Consumer Answer: Drop the price for more affordability, especially with the unprecedented 3+ years without a price drop.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
Absolutely. The switch has a lot of great games and Even though it's online offerings are not very strong, the library of games and the incredible I'll put a first party games I'll guarantee that it's a solid buy.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
It was a good price at launch, but it's long overdue for a price drop. Nintendo loves squeezing those pennies.

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
I mean, if you want a portable console or if you want to play current & future Nintendo titles.. its your only choice. In terms of price, power, features and most importantly games library, its far, far behind both Xbox One and PS4, however.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The other platforms aren't hybrids. The other platforms don't have Nintendo games.

Yes, Switch is a good value at its current price.

ItsOKAY

Jan 26, 2018
Frankfurt, Germany
Well it's always kind of a multifaceted answer to this questions.

Business Answer: Keep the price the same for maximum profit.
Consumer Answer: Drop the price for more affordability, especially with the unprecedented 3+ years without a price drop.
Yeah, and that's basically also the answer to everything.
I'm a huge Nintendo fan, but Nintendo is a company, and therefor and for making the investors happy, they will try to make as much profit as possible. Dropping the price before this holiday, were the Switch will sell enormously without a pricecut...it does make no sense.
As a consumer - of course everybody would like to see a pricecut - (heck, give it us for free;) - but they have no need to do that.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
There is no reason for Nintendo to drop the price if the console is selling better than ever.

When sales trend to follow a downward trajectory you can expect a price drop soon thereafter.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
It is a bit over priced IMO.

If it was that much with a game it would make more sense.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Depends what you count as the critical features of something. An Xbox isn't a portable, I couldn't care less about specs and it doesn't have the games I want on it, so it fails on those criteria for me. If you want the most powerful box you can get for the same price, don't care about portability and prefer what gamepass offers, then sure, thats going to be a better deal.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Playing on the go and the swift system to get into a game? Hell yes. It bothers me when games load now. More than it should. I'm playing more paper mario cuz it takes me 20 seconds to get into the game.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not now, not ever. The thing comes with defects from factory, lacks basic features like ethernet port, support for bluetooth headset, etc. Should have costed $250 tops.

Also, it's games can be emulated in other hadware and perform better than the original. Not even it's games can justify the ridiculous price tag when the better experience is playing on other devices.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
The library is stacked and it's still a portable too, that $300 is definitely worth it. Series S will be too, for the tech and the extensive compatibility with Xbox history.

You can get both for just 100 more than a Series X

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
The Switch hardware is getting old and can use a revision but its well worth the $300. You aren't getting Series S hardware in a handheld format for $300. Its a strange comparison to make in the first place.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Strong sales don't always mean best value. Beats headphones sell like crazy but that doesn't make them the best value.

In my opinion Switch presents the absolute worst value for one's money.
Everything is more expensive, and performs worse. We don't even know if Nintendo will bother with BC.
On the flipside Project Xcloud with the Xbox ecosystem is a far better value for one's money. I would recommend it over a Switch to anyone.

Agree, but there is huge difference between worst and best value, like I wrote, you will hardly have best sales with worst value.

In your opinion, but general opinion is looked through sales and popularity of some device.
Again, Nintendo games dont perform worse on Switch, and Nintendo games are one of main reason for getting Switch.
Its almost certain that next gen Nintendo console will be Switch 2 with BC for current Switch games.
Streaming services will never act like real handheld (you will need internet connection at least), and you cant play great Nintendo games on it.

Not now, not ever. The thing comes with defects from factory, lacks basic features like ethernet port, support for bluetooth headset, etc. Should have costed $250 tops.

Also, it's games can be emulated in other hadware and perform better than the original. Not even it's games can justify the ridiculous price tag when the better experience is playing on other devices.

Yeah and Switch will be DOA when it release!!
Sounds like pre launch post from NeoGaf. :D

And yet (and In reality), Switch and Switch games are breaking records in popularity and sales.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Xbox Series S is good value for what represents (1440p next gen home console gaming),
Switch is good value for what represents (hybrid hardware that could be used like real home console and real handheld, with some of best Nintendo games ever),
you shouldn't compare those two, they are quite different.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Brass tacks it is probably overpriced in 2020 with a revision on the horizon.

Likewise I wouldn't argue its a bad 'value' by much if any stretch

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
Game console values exist entirely on the shoulder of their software offerings. Nintendo has an absolutely stacked amount of fantastic exclusive games that make a the 300 buck purchase a no-brainer.

People like to completely blow console power out of proportion once their new-gen hype gets too high.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019

So you're saying consoles are useless because PC has the best experience for games.

Oct 28, 2017
The Switch at $299 is not a good value if comparing tech, but it's your only option if you want to play Nintendo games and have portability options.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
Considering we used to buy a console and it's companion handheld (NES/SNES and Game Boy, Gamecube and Game Boy Advance, Wii and DS, PlayStation 3/4 and Vita), yes, this is a phenomenal value with no need to buy games twice and the handheld experience matching the console experience.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It's a cool system and a great way to do both home and handheld gaming, but it's not worth $299 in my eyes after owning it for almost a year now and it pretty much being a Smash Bros machine for the last few months.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
4 years in? At the very same price it launched at? No tbh. Get it if you really want to play the games, cause those are absolutely worth it (outside of the overpriced ports), but you might as well wait for it to be discounted at this point. And even that might take a while. I don't even know if next gen launches will slow sales down enough for Nintendo to even bother.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

I'm confused doesn't every game run better on PC?

Oct 27, 2017
Boils down to if you like Nintendo's first party games or not. I can't say neither yes or no, really. Buying a Switch was a complete waste of time and money for me as I went back to only using my PS4 anyway, but that doesn't mean you won't have a good time with it. Check out what exclusives it has and make a decision based on that.

Okii

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For it being both a handheld and home system yeah I would say so, but as soon as I compare it to other games systems I don't think it's really worth $300 anymore.

BigAlKaiju

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 13, 2020
Yeah. I found one at Walmart and got $500 out of it on eBay. Great value.

Comparing it to the other consoles doesn't mean much when you buy Nintendo hardware for their library. It's also a handheld and people used to buy one and a console.

Voke

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
maybe if they actually had worthwhile sales for the popular games I'd say so. But buying a $300 system to have to spend another couple hundred for the best games on it? don't think so...

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
I think so, great games and even almost 4 years later being able to undock and keep playing is really cool.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Well, let's compare the Switch to it's existing competition in the handheld market:

There are none.

And there you have it.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
I would have said yes at any point until now, but this late in the game I'd just wait for a hardware revision with higher specs and hopefully fixed joysticks.

Oct 25, 2017
The hardware is really low quality compared to other things in a similar price range. You can get an iPad for $300 if you look around a bit. Just compare the displays, the processor, the chassis of that to a Switch.

In the home console space, the Series S is way more impressive than the Switch at the same price.

But I can't really say that a Switch is a bad buy for $300. It's a great console and has plenty of games that make it worth buying. I just wish the build quality was a little more worthy.

Yamajian

Oct 30, 2017
I want to say no, but what would the equivalent PC cost that could play Steam games on the go and dock easily into a TV / monitor? I know Alienware had a concept that is way more powerful than a switch, but I'm sure it's way more expensive as well.

When I think of it that way, switch isn't a horrible value.