• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think the Nintendo Switch is a good value at $299?

• Yes

Votes: 1,338 60.7%
  • No

Votes: 868 39.3%

• Total voters

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
With the Xbox Series S being revealed at $299 offering a next gen experience, is the Nintendo Switch currently a good value at $299? Should Nintendo release an updated version to compete with the new consoles, so they can ensure ports are still able to run on the Switch? There have been some 3rd party ports, and even 1st party releases, that don't run at native resolutions to compensate for the Switch's current hardware.

Comparing the capabilities of the two systems at their current price point, The Xbox Series S, seems to offer a lot more for the same price as a Switch.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you like being able to play everywhere and like the game selection, then sure it is good value.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
It's been out for three and a half years and hasn't had a price drop. But it also has an incredible amount of very good software, and they're basically impossible to find and continuing to sell like gangbusters. Value is always going to be subjective. I assume they'll have a slight price drop and/or some software packed in for the holidays.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
The Switch is an all in one unit I can hook up to my TV or take with me on the go.

$300 is still a totally fair price.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It's time for a price drop for sure but it's still a unique experience with a great library so sure it's good for now

Shaoran Hyku

Aug 6, 2020
It has the best in quantity and quality regarding exclusives so yes.
You pay 300$ for portability + games, power is not important in this case.

EnVy_CaLiBeR

Oct 25, 2017
Two completely different experiences. And the Xbox still doesn't have the exclusives library of the Switch.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
The Xbox Series S may be more powerful (also releasing more than 3 years after Switch), it doesn't also turn into a handheld.

So yes.

golem

Oct 25, 2017
Do you play consoles for the tech or the games? I expect eventually a more powerful revision is coming down the line but I dont expect them to lower the price before that when theyre selling gangbusters anyways

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean when the switch launched, Xbox and PS4 were already stronger and could be found cheaper and had more games.

in a way, nothing has changed

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Depends on what you're looking for.

It has an incredible value but then it's really up to the person.

Look at the exclusive games and ask yourself if you want to play them. If you value multiplatform games then maybe it's not for you. Maybe you like portable gaming so it's plus there.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a bad value, but it certainly isn't as good a value today in 2020 as it was in 2017.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think so, in the sense of it being a platform with a ton of great games.

In the sense of "should you buy it this holiday at $299 or wait a few months?" I think it's probably a "wait a few months," unless you really want to play the games now.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
The Switch offers portability, supports physical media, and has actual worthwhile exclusive games that are available right now.

I think it compares favorably to the Xbox Series S, assuming raw power and fidelity aren't the most important factor to you. The Series S will presumably have a better library in a year or two, but it will also presumably go on sale by then.

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo games are so unique and high quality that the power of the system itself doesn't really matter that much. The games justify the price.

Satonaka

Oct 29, 2017
Madrid
It depends on your measuring standard. Is it tech? Then no. Is it fun? Now that's a completely different thing.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
The hardware is overpriced but the lineup is strong and as long as it sells there is no reason to reduce the price. There is more to the price of an item than the BoM.

Brohan

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
I purchased a switch a few months ago and it has seen more use than my other consoles and my PC. It kind of reinvigorated gaming for me. There's just something about just being able to pick it up and lay on the couch or on the bed with it. It's also great to take along on trips.

Worth every cent.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely. At the end of the day, why do people buy gaming consoles?

Games.

Nintendo's making some great, exclusive games that you can play at home or on the go.

Great value.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
31 say no so far. I really can't fathom how. The exclusives easily make it worth it.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nothing about the Switch screams value.

Unfortunately it's the only place to play their amazing games tho.

Deleted member 43552

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2018
"Value" is determined by the market. The Switch has managed to sell more than 63 million units to date. Whats the incentive for them to charge less?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This is such a subjective thing. I could just as easily say "Comparing the capabilities of the two systems at their current price point, The Switch, seems to offer a lot more for the same price as an Xbox Series S. I mean, the Xbox Series S isn't even portable! And the Switch has a ton of exclusives!"

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's still selling but I'd want a price drop at this point if I didn't already own one. Knowing a new Switch is coming sometime in the" nearish " future I wouldn't want to drop $300 on it at the moment. I'd rather use that money for a new Gen console.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think the term "native resolution" is even in the lexicon of most people buying a Switch. People aren't buying it for its specs, much like the average person has no idea how much RAM is in the newest iPhone. The value is in the games and the portability.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah it's a fair price, but I won't say no to a Switch Pro for the same price next year.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It has a great lineup of exclusives (especially if you never owned a Wii U) and tons of great third party games you can play portably.

It was good enough for me to buy in at the launch year and then buy a Lite.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you have an aversion to playing games without a certain visual threshold it's a bad buy. Otherwise, party on.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I'd say considering you have the added value proposition of taking a home console on the go and the fact you get to play the very best IP's the industry has to offer (even some of the very best games in those IP's), yes.