• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 28, 2017
Back in my day, we would by cartons of eggs on our way to school in preparation for egg fights that went on in that halls and then after school. TPing someones house doesn't work when you live in a rowhouse. I'm not sure if this is even a thing any more and since I moved out of the city I don't know anymore.

We called it Mystery Night.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Kids just do dumb shit. I never saw a spike in doing dumb shit as a kid on certain days of the year.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After Halloween and the houses close up for the night. Roam the streets and smash your pumpkins in the middle of the road. Good times.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I grew up in the metro Detroit area, where it was called Devils Night. I thought it was just a thing people did everywhere, but apparently not. I never had any problems in my neighborhood with it, but you'd see the stories on the local news talking about some damage around the area.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Do kids still do Halloween, period, anymore? The streets around here are mostly dead now, where as they used to be like Disneyland, back in the 90's, they were so packed.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Was never a thing in my neighborhoods growing up.
Same. Halloween night would be fucking rockin' back in the day, but I never saw anything done the night before.

I can't even remember the last time I saw a house get TP'd. Probably because it's so expensive now. lol

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 30, grew up in CA, and have never heard of this.

I've seen depictions in movies and TV shows of kids TPing and stuff on Halloween itself if people weren't giving out candy or whatever (never participated myself) but I've never heard of pulling random pranks the night before.

Do kids still do Halloween, period, anymore? The streets around here are mostly dead now, where as they used to be like Disneyland, back in the 90's, they were so packed.

I'm sure it just depends where you live. The neighborhood I lived in last year went all out on Halloween and it was packed with families trick or treating. I currently live in an apartment complex and I've heard people set up booth in the communal park area to hand out candy.

Anecdotally, it feels like far more people go to "destination neighborhoods" where people go wild with decorations and a majority of homes will be handing out candy rather than sticking to their own neighborhood. When I was a kid we would either walk around near our own home or I'd go to a friend's place and do there's, my family never drove me anywhere just to trick or treat.

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017

It's sill pretty big where I was in Philly but since I moved and I don't know my neighbors super well, I'm buying candy for my kids and playing Luigi Mansion 3!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The only dumb thing kids are going to do tonight is go out when it's snowing without a coat on

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's sill pretty big where I was in Philly but since I moved and I don't know my neighbors super well, I'm buying candy for my kids and playing Luigi Mansion 3!
I mean, they still do it here, but most nights now, the doorbell will ring a few times - whereas back in the 90's people would just sit at the door because the stream if kids was endless. lol

OP
OP
Soapbox Killer
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, they still do it here, but most nights now, the doorbell will ring a few times - whereas back in the 90's people would just sit at the door because the stream if kids was endless. lol

It is less than that but I guess because there are more Halloween parties and people do it on the last Saturday of the month in a lot of places. There was talk of moving it so kids could get a full day of TOT in. When I was a kid, we would start after school and not come home till like 10pm with enough junk to last till New Years Day!

konka

Oct 25, 2017
24948924-standard.jpg

Sandcrawler

Oct 27, 2017
Wow growing up in Jersey I didn't know that this wasn't a thing elsewhere. As a kid I feel like I remember seeing it on some cartoons, definitely Rocket Power and maybe another. Since Rocket Power's setting was California (or at least inspired by) I figured it was a thing everywhere. My friend's older brothers partook. The town cops cracked down pretty hard by the time I was "of age" so it kind of died down in my area.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
Mischief Night representing. No, I never did anything, but tp and egging were done when I was a kid. I don't even think there are kids in my neighborhood now, lol.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I just remember a Rocket Power episode about this.

They called it Mischief Night too.

Never experienced it myself. Around homecoming was when folks pranked in my town.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Wow growing up in Jersey I didn't know that this wasn't a thing elsewhere. As a kid I feel like I remember seeing it on some cartoons, definitely Rocket Power and maybe another. Since Rocket Power's setting was California (or at least inspired by) I figured it was a thing everywhere. My friend's older brothers partook. The town cops cracked down pretty hard by the time I was "of age" so it kind of died down in my area.
Yeah it extends a bit because we did it in Pennsylvania but talking to people from even western PA they had no idea what I was talking about.