• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Question

• Yes, they should be Wii U'd

Votes: 181 52.5%
  • No, there have been worse

Votes: 108 31.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 56 16.2%

• Total voters

Personablue

Feb 10, 2019
Activity-Log-3DS-Picture-1.jpg

Games by hours, no of times booted, can be arranged according to daily, monthly or yearly playtimes, displaying in ascending or descending order, giving ranks etc. It was the best activity log.

Now onto switch
4qslsqvagtd11.jpg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. All involved are sentenced to the mushroom mines

spk

Mar 15, 2018
Poland
Yes. It makes so much sense to have something like that given how people's brains work, yet nobody quite repeated the success of the 3DS app. This and StreetPass are the features I'm missing most on the Switch.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
Yes. As soon as a homebrew app existed, I made quick use of it. Is still not perfect, because you cannot see the exact timeframes you have booted the game in a given day, but still...

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
i base some of my purchases over the ability to have trackable time played and it's sad how Nintendo's implementation seems to get worse each gen. we're almost as bad as the original Wii now (on wii you couldn't see total time spent unless you used homebrew)

laughable that 3DS and Wii U were so much better at such a basic thing. it's not like this app would take processing power like some of the other missing stuff in the OS. it's just a time counter with visible stats.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Yeah I love the activity log on 3DS. Nintendo really need to get their shit into gear and go beyond offering the most basic OS for Switch. I appreciate the speed, but coming up on 3 years later there have been no meaningful additions or changes.

Moz La Punk

Journalist at Gamer.nl & Power Unlimited
Verified
May 15, 2018
The Netherlands
Its not a replacement but what I do I categorize 'all games' on my Switch on activity played. Still cool to have a view of which game Ive played the most and seeing the game Im playing now moving up. Again its not the same but its weirdly fun to track.

Aug 31, 2019
The bizarre things is that the Switch actually collects precise data of playtime down to minutes and stores it in its memory. There was an app for hacked Switches in older firmware that could show that information per user.

Nov 8, 2017
Losing compatibility with PS1/PS2 Classics on the PS4 was a disappointment for sure, but I knew from the start that compatibility with PS3 games on the PS4 was never going to happen due to the huge technical differences between those two consoles. It's probably not even possible to do it.

I'm not counting on the PS5 running PS3 games either (though it would be a nice surprise if it did).

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I would have dreaded that functionality when i was a kid. I mean, parents knowing the time i spent on games ?
I sure didn't want such a snitch !

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
3DS Activity log was so cool.

Nintendo system apps can sometimes fall too far into shallow cutesy, but Activity Log was a perfect blend of quality of life and usability.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
i'm fine with "hours played", as long as "hours played" actually tracks those properly and doesn't also add the time the app was suspended / in standby.

Games by hours, no of times booted, can be arranged according to daily, monthly or yearly playtimes, displaying in ascending or descending order, giving ranks etc. It was the best activity log.

I don't need that much detail.

Deleted member 49166

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
The bizarre things is that the Switch actually collects precise data of playtime down to minutes and stores it in its memory. There was an app for hacked Switches in older firmware that could show that information per user.

I didn't know that and thought it's stored on your account. So I lost all my playtime when I bought the Switch revision.
That's really disappointing, I mean they have the savegames and it should be somewhere in there, why can't we just display it?

Kazer

Oct 27, 2017
If you set up parental controls you can see play times by day though it's still not exact.

Mar 27, 2018
I really miss all the kids lost at Best Buy posting from the demo kiosks. Miiverse died too soon and Splatoon 2 shows there is more demand, the Plaza always has the coolest stuff.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I just don't understand why it happened, you're supposed to build on things and improve them going forward, why did it instead get progressively worse and worse since the fantastic 3DS one?? It can't be that much effort to implement.

Wii U was like oh no this ain't as good and the Switch's one was next-to-nothing like uhh is that it? Seriously?

So sad. :( I love me some stats and Activity Log tracking.

Streetpass was sooo much fun, I booted up Badge Arcade daily, even spent real life money on it occasionally. All of it gone. 3DS had so many cool extra things while the Switch has basically nothing. No themes, no Miiverse, nothing, so lame. Such a wonderful console, imagine if it had all the fun bells and whistles too.

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Its not a replacement but what I do I categorize 'all games' on my Switch on activity played. Still cool to have a view of which game Ive played the most and seeing the game Im playing now moving up. Again its not the same but its weirdly fun to track.
Unfortunately, this functionality breaks if you transfer your data to a new Switch. It starts organizing games by how much you played them on the new Switch, not both Switches combined.

Last edited:

Stevo

Jan 29, 2019
It's up there.

My 3DS Activity Log is all over the place from the date and time resetting from long periods without use but I still love those stats and they way they are presented. I genuinely think the Activity Log and Streetpass should be part of the Switch.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I have a theory, based on no evidence, think Nintendo deliberately removed it because they thought it could lead to addiction / unhealthy habit forming.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
Yes and honestly I'd rather have nothing than the half-assed version we have now on Switch. Why not just show the time played in minutes and hours...

thefreecheese

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the stat tracking so much. Being able to look back and see what I played each month and year was fascinating to me.
I'd love for the option to click a game in my profile and see which of my friends has also played, my total time, number of times launched, etc.
It was said above but the fact that we can get an end of year report (from Sony as well) shows you that the stats are being tracked, we just can't see them anymore and it's a bummer.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
There have been worse crimes, but I'm hurt enough about its murder to vote "yes".

I loved that log, in another universe it was adopted by all and became the standard for the following gen.

thefreecheese

Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory, based on no evidence, think Nintendo deliberately removed it because they thought it could lead to addiction / unhealthy habit forming.
I have that same theory. I think Virtual Console was skipped because Nintendo saw how many titles were being purchased and never played (guilty) and came up with a solution for it.
I know from my own habits that I would spend probably more time than Nintendo would want staring at my Activity Log that I could instead spend playing games.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Surprised the yes is winning by such a margin.
Wouldn't it be better to have usb back up saves or folders and so on ?
Even themes and/or more avatars would seem better to me.

Guess I'm just not interested in the activity log so I don't see it.
Also, aren't "no" and "indifferent" kind of the same ?

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
The Wii u os was also slow as fuck.

I'm in and out of menus for the switch and that's more appreciated than detailed logs of shit I already did.

Airplane mode: done
Readjust the joy cons due to drift: done

I don't even want to look at the Wii u considering I'll be waiting.

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
It's not perfect, but the Switch Parental Control app has been satisfying enough for me.

Would be nice with more detail and for it to be on the Switch itself though.
83633382_2544147899047745_480879106989228032_n.png

84259570_600946760450600_2896960736846675968_n.png

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Wii u os was also slow as fuck.

I'm in and out of menus for the switch and that's more appreciated than detailed logs of shit I already did.

Lol. Why would just displaying data the Switch tracks anyways slow the OS down?

Why do people always act as if switch is a C64 or something when it comes to wanting basic OS functionality?

Aug 31, 2019

Why do people always act as if switch is a C64 or something when it comes to wanting basic OS functionality?
I think it is some form of justification for having and loving a product that has some issues. Clearly a playtime log wouldn't harm Switch performance. Even the existing news applet needs more memory than some graphs generation and presentation...

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017

I didn't say it did. Someone mentioned the charm of the Wii u. That charm is lost when I wait. The speediness of the switch's OS is the biggest feature, to me and everything else falls second.

I can't prove causality but I'm playing more games than ever and I'm always amazed at the speed at which I'm getting into the game. That's why I picked indifference.

If I had a choice, I would put speed at the top of priorities in all console OS decisions going forward. It's the 'charm' of the switch, for me.