• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've actually heard Zelda was inspired by this movie... and it's quite a lot of similarities..

The hero is Link
The damsel in distress is Zelda
The villain is Ganon

Or maybe not quite, but they basically fill their archetypes in the original game.

I miss classic adventure movies like this. Wonder if they can come back...

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OYLIIhu.jpg

2zSY78m.jpg

yv8GzZI.jpg

kQF9m5M.jpg

Y9RUHuW.jpg

nFGt2J3.jpg

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I think LoZ being inspired by the movie Legend was debunked.
There are similarities but they don't go beyond the archetypes found everywhere.
The movie still looks gorgeous.

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I think LoZ being inspired by the movie Legend was debunked.
There are similarities but they don't go beyond the archetypes found everywhere.
The movie still looks gorgeous.

Yeah exactly, I think this was brought up and Legend is beautiful like most of Scott's films but one of the reasons it bombed critically and commercially is it is way too simple and basic. No connection to Zelda. It just throws the archetypes in without trying anything new.

It's been decades since Scott was at the top of his game :(

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So, this scene is probably my favourite in any movie ever. It's one of my earliest memories, and I was too young to really understand anything about films/TV etc, but it stuck in my mind (perhaps no surprise given the artistry and atmosphere). For years I could recall that scene (as much by how it felt than how it looked) but had no idea where I'd seen it or how to properly describe it given the lack of any context. When I eventually saw this film through chance as a teenager I genuinely broke down in tears when this scene rolled around.

To this day, I still associate the film with child-like wonder. It means so much more to me as a result.

Dec 6, 2017
US
So, this scene is probably my favourite in any movie ever. It's one of my earliest memories, and I was too young to really understand anything about films/TV etc, but it stuck in my mind (perhaps no surprise given the artistry and atmosphere). For years I could recall that scene (as much by how it felt than how it looked) but had no idea where I'd seen it or how to properly describe it given the lack of any context. When I eventually saw this film through chance as a teenager I genuinely broke down in tears when this scene rolled around.

To this day, I still associate the film with child-like wonder. It means so much more to me as a result.

Oh yea very similar experience for me. I always saw these movies on battered VHS copies and that always obscured any 'seams' so to speak even further.

My favorite memory in terms of a strong feeling vs. simply visuals was The Last Unicorn. Jesus christ, that movie was so damn sad and wistful. One of those things that gives you nostalgia for some era you never lived or that never existed.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah exactly, I think this was brought up and Legend is beautiful like most of Scott's films but one of the reasons it bombed critically and commercially is it is way too simple and basic. No connection to Zelda. It just throws the archetypes in without trying anything new.

It's been decades since Scott was at the top of his game :(
Nah, Ridley Scott has always been just as hit and miss as he is these days. It's just that no one remembers the failures outside of Legend because they're even less memorable than it is (Black Rain, 1492, Someone Watch Over Me, etc).

I think Legend is maybe his single worst film.

KlytusImBored

Oct 30, 2017
New Jersey
The Tangerine Dream soundtrack has been in my brain since I saw this movie as a kid. This was my favorite movie growing up. Happy to see it recognized here as a major influence on the games we have played since. One of the sounds that's always stuck with my is Tom Cruise yelling "Lillyyyyyyy" after he smashes out of the frozen pond.....epic stuff.

Valentonis

One Winged Slayer
Oct 8, 2020
I feel like Kubo and the Two Strings is the closest I've seen to what I want to see out of a Zelda movie. The plot doesn't have too much in common with the usual Zelda stuff, but the unique artstyle, the heart, the use of music, the fact that Kubo does fight but it isn't his main method of solving every problem. That all screams Zelda to me.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I've actually heard Zelda was inspired by this movie... and it's quite a lot of similarities..

The hero is Link
The damsel in distress is Zelda
The villain is Ganon

Or maybe not quite, but they basically fill their archetypes in the original game.

I miss classic adventure movies like this. Wonder if they can come back...

Legend is a great film but none of these comparisons align with the movie.

"Jack" is a wild child/nature boy that associates with brownies and fairies exclusively and doesn't know much about civilization. He is lured by Lilly into doing things against his better judgment/nature because wild child or not, he's still a young dude and making decisions with his hormones, not his head. He's not a warrior in any meaningful sense and displays little skill with the weapons he's given. He gets REALLY lucky with Meg in the swamps and that's about it.

"Lilly" is a VERY spoiled, oblivious individual that thinks more about her own wants and comforts than anything else. She *appears* more innocent than she actually is. This disregard for anything other than what she wants is what causes her to touch the unicorns when told not to, which is what gets one of them injured, setting up the film. the forces of Darkness exploit lilly's weakness and desire for the comforts and spoils of her former life when they corrupt her in that "dance" scene, which is DEFINITELY a metaphor for something else.

"Darkness" is less of a villain here than a force of nature. It's the "darkness within everyone" made manifest and can never truly be defeated, but it DOES still feel "love" in its own way and that is essentially it's downfall. It believes that its seduction and subsequent corruption of lilly was more successful than it actually was. You can hear Darkness laughing over the ending of the (US) Theatrical ending, implying that he's really not stopped at all by the events of the film, despite the setback with the unicorns.

I'm not sure *what* Zelda lines up with all that. It WOULD make a good game if someone could do it justice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 35509

Account closed at user request
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Nah, Ridley Scott has always been just as hit and miss as he is these days. It's just that no one remembers the failures outside of Legend because they're even less memorable than it is (Black Rain, 1492, Someone Watch Over Me, etc).

I think Legend is maybe his single worst film.

Totally agree about Legend haha.

His work these past couple of decades has been so bad, it's almost sad.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
Regarding Zelda character design qt least, Yoichi Kotabe influence is obvious, having worked on classic fantasy anime like Horus Prince of the Sun and Nausicaa.