• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Are any of these changes bad though? Sticking to source material only matters if the source material is good.
Personally speaking, I'd say overall the Guardians are worse in the MCU. Peter Quill is an idiotic manchild, Drax exists only to be laughed at, Gamora whose supposed to be the deadliest woman in the galaxy is far from it. The only real improvement is Nebula. Rocket id say is pretty accurate, and Groot only says Groots so.

Also not getting Quills element gun is a huge shame.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
NWH did a decent job of fixing Spider-Man for me, so I'm happy there for now.

I just wish they'd give Kamala her actual powers. Don't care about the reason, her MCU powers are lamer.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
NWH did a decent job of fixing Spider-Man for me, so I'm happy there for now.

I just wish they'd give Kamala her actual powers. Don't care about the reason, her MCU powers are lamer.
I actually really like both the incorporation of Captain Marvel's mythology with the nega-bangle and making her a mutant at same time pretty much confirms we are getting her powers eventually. Neither mutants or inhumans need something to channel their powers, I do think that very much like Namor is a mutant and atlantean, Kamala is equally mutant and inhuman. The nega-bangles was a flavor that I didn't know I'd like as much as I did, but I agree that I want her powers to finally be adapted in the big screen and tv shows. I think it's doable.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Other than really poor usage of villains I would say most of the changes were for the better, especially considering some of the really outdated worldviews in the source material.

comics are idea vomits where creators throw shit on the wall to see what sticks, the movies are where the best of those ideas come together (With occasional missteps)

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Man, OP really just made the thread and dipped lol. How many times has this happened now?

Kinda feels like you're not really interested in having a conversation

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Comic retcon stuff all the time. Why should the movie universe be held to a standard that that comics so keep themselves?

MCU doesn't bother me that it "deviates" from the comics. It is it own universe, with it own writing challenges. As long as they keep the MCU consistent within it own universe- it doesn't matter what the comic do.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why would you want a multimedia franchise to just be the books? Both media types have their limitations, and each should embrace what it does better.

Comics better at exposition and single shots, movies better with mood, emotion, and larger shots. Stories certainly need to change, as comics are build to tell stories in a completely different manner.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who reads the comics who cares. Ms. Marvel doesn't need her exact power set from the comics to be a good character. Only exception is Taskmaster, what they did to my boy was a crime. Let Taskmaster talk damnit

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
The comics have ALWAYS been influenced by the movies even as far back as the first X-men film.
You saw the costumes and characters starting to look more like their movie counterparts (just look at Tony Stark, he's basically turned into RDJ). It's always been the case.
The movies are also an adaptation, not just a "we film directly what's on the page" so of course there's going to be some changes.
I think it's a bigger problem that apparently Marvel values the comics so little compared to the movies. (we all know it's because money, but it would've been nice to have the comics don't pay any attention to the movies at all).

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
As a Marvel Comics fan for nearly 35 years.

No.

Also Mandarin's rings in the comics are alien tech not magic.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
You want comics? Read comics.
Want to watch a movie, watch the MCU.

As soon as the comics make a fraction of the money the movies do, maybe they'll consider it. As of now, I view them as two different beasts and am fine with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Might as well ask here.
Is it true that Kamala Khan's creators wanted her to be a mutant but Marvel pushed for her to be an inhuman?

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I just wished the MCU didn't use Earth 616 and just came up with another number. So the differences can be boiled down to another dimension.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
Officially, they are 19999.
Officially they are Earth 616 and I'll be Kevin Feige dead staring Kamala y'all into a corner if you all don't get along with the program lol. Seriously though, Earth 616 as the MCU main universe is fine. There are multiple Earth 616 in the omniverse after all.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
You want comics? Read comics.
Want to watch a movie, watch the MCU.

As soon as the comics make a fraction of the money the movies do, maybe they'll consider it. As of now, I view them as two different beasts and am fine with it.
It's called Intellectual Property. They are not two different beasts. The movies cannot do whatever the hell they want without copyright holder approval.

Mancha

alt account
Banned
Oct 23, 2021
It's called Intellectual Property. They are not two different beasts. The movies cannot do whatever the hell they want without copyright holder approval.
Actually... they can do whatever the hell they want. They own the IP and Marvel Studios has proven time and time again that they know exactly what they are doing, and if it came to some old school nerds Feige would still be tied to a Marvel Comics council like he was until the first Avengers film. They clearly don't need that.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think the big two comics rights holders have cared too much as long as the adaptation makes a lot of money. Even way back in the days of radio serials they were cool with people adding and changing stuff with characters as big as Superman.

Domino

Oct 25, 2017
The changes have generally been for the better, and recently it seems like they've been moving closer to the comics especially the costumes

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Marvel Studios is still collaborating closely with Marvel Comics. It's why comic creators are executive producers on the movies. They're smart enough to not let some director do whatever the hell they want. It's why the MCU has been so successful IMO.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
Marvel Studios is still collaborating closely with Marvel Comics. It's why comic creators are executive producers on the movies. They're smart enough to not let some director do whatever the hell they want. It's why the MCU has been so successful IMO.
The comics tend to defer to the successful movies though. Like Spider-Man switched to organic webbing for years, GotG took on more of the films tone, etc. the comics are the originals, but Marvel gets that things change and if people expect Star Lord to be a sitcom slob, he better be a sitcom slob.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I don't think anybody is saying that the creators have nothing to do with it. They're different universes to me. I didn't read Amazing Spider-Man and complain that it wasn't like Ultimate Spider-Man. As somebody who grew up on comics and finds time to read them still, I understand expecting MCU entities to follow comic stories to a T is like yelling into the void so I enjoy both separately.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I don't mean this to sound rude in any way because it just is what it is: No one cares. The MCU has achieved a level of popularity the comics never have nor will. A vast majority of fans don't know comic book history. I'm someone who has had the comics in my life since I could retain memories and even I don't know all of it. Not even close. As long as the essence of the characters is there it doesn't really matter.

Also, I think this nightmare scenario where they stray too far and the MCU tanks is a myth. One, because a lot of the comics stuff is meaningless or bad. And two, the comics can't even go a year without straying from/retconning their own history.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I actually really like both the incorporation of Captain Marvel's mythology with the nega-bangle and making her a mutant at same time pretty much confirms we are getting her powers eventually. Neither mutants or inhumans need something to channel their powers, I do think that very much like Namor is a mutant and atlantean, Kamala is equally mutant and inhuman. The nega-bangles was a flavor that I didn't know I'd like as much as I did, but I agree that I want her powers to finally be adapted in the big screen and tv shows. I think it's doable.

I mean, she's already mutant and Clandestine. Unless the Clandestine are revealed to somehow be inhumans, introducing a third party to her origin is just going to increase the confusion around these categorizations.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
And that's a good thing. Last thing we need are in fighting between divisions and stupid things like "no you can't use Batman in this cartoon because we have a movie maybe coming soon" or "we're not going to recognize Agents of Shield at all in our movies."

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I was quite good with MCU Spider-Man cherry picking elements while being different from what came before it. I ended up being in the minority in despising No Way Home for basically being their answer to One More Day all while also serving as obsequious worship of Sony Spider-Man's legacy.

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
The MCU has been smart about knowing what to adapt, what to change and what to scrap when it comes to the comics, all while retaining the core of them in tact and appealing to a wide audience. Obviously there are some misses, but its hard to deny how well it's done - obviously the MCU Infinity War is different to comic Infinity War, but the fact we got something like that on screen is absolutely wild when you think about it.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Kevin Feige is now Chief Creative Officer of all of Marvel, including the comics division. He is free to do whatever he wants.
And he still uses the comic creators as executive producers. He is doing the right thing and the MCU is successful because of it.

It's why I think DC movies are struggling. They're not as reliant on the comic creators and the movies just do whatever they want. You get an edgelord Batman, and terrible casting for Luthor, and whatever the hell Jaret Leto was supposed to be.

As soon as the MCU strays too far from Marvel source material they risk failure. Marvel comics have been successful for decades. Stick to what works. Feige is doing the right thing by having faith in what Marvel Comics have created. It's not exact adaptations but it doesn't have to be. It's adaptations for movies but it's still faithful to the source material. Keep up the good work. The MCU has been incredibly successful by respecting what Marvel Comics have been.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
The comics don't matter one bit. Majority of MCU fans never read them and never will. Feige and co can do whatever they want with the characters and lore and only hardcore few will be mad.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
The comics don't matter one bit. Majority of MCU fans never read them and never will. Feige and co can do whatever they want with the characters and lore and only hardcore few will be mad.

I know you don't necessarily mean it this way, but I think it's easy to forget that even with divergences, the comics are far and away the source of these, and not just the characters but the rich history of stories. From a purely financial perspective, the comics probably make a tiny fraction of what the MCU does, but it would be a mistake to underestimate how important that division is in propping up the MCU in general.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I know you don't necessarily mean it this way, but I think it's easy to forget that even with divergences, the comics are far and away the source of these, and not just the characters but the rich history of stories. From a purely financial perspective, the comics probably make a tiny fraction of what the MCU does, but it would be a mistake to underestimate how important that division is in propping up the MCU in general.

I definitely agree. They still provide a ton of value for the mcu to draw from, just that changes will get bigger and bigger the more mcu grows over the phases, actors leave etc.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
MCU has always had differences from the comics and there is nothing wrong with changing certain things for movies. It's worked out great for them so far and been a massive success.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I think comics can be a great place to get inspiration from, but let's be real - only like 1/1000 of the people who watch these movies care at all about the comics so I don't think it's a big deal.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
One advantage the MCU has is, to the general public, nearly everyone in the MCU was an unknown. There was like Hulk and Spider-man. That's it (maybe cap as a propaganda tool). They can make changes because most the people watching won't know there's a change.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
I'm fine with movies not being faithful to their comic counterparts; certain writing translates better in movies than comics, especially to appeal to a contemporary audience

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I think one of the biggest examples of the comics being thrice retconned nonsense that doesn't even respect itself is America Chavez. Just a little over one year from her MCU debut in Multiverse of Madness the comics decided to completely retcon her classic origin for no apparent reason.

America-Chavez-Origin-Retcon.jpeg

For years America had a really consistent origin, that she was a girl from a magical universe called the Utopian Parallel. And this is the one the MCU went with. But in 2021's series America Chavez: Made in the USA, they completely retconned this origin, and revealed that no, actually all of that was just made up and she was yet another character who was experimented on as a kid.

The comics don't even respect themselves.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think one of the biggest examples of the comics being thrice retconned nonsense that doesn't even respect itself is America Chavez. Just a little over one year from her MCU debut in Multiverse of Madness the comics decided to completely retcon her classic origin for no apparent reason.

America-Chavez-Origin-Retcon.jpeg

For years America had a really consistent origin, that she was a girl from a magical universe called the Utopian Parallel. And this is the one the MCU went with. But in 2021's series America Chavez: Made in the USA, they completely retconned this origin, and revealed that no, actually all of that was just made up and she was yet another character who was experimented on as a kid.

The comics don't even respect themselves.

I'm not surprised that it happened but I'm really surprised it hasn't been retconned back.