• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Is it?

• It is the most satisfying movement in the history of satisfying movements, maybe ever

Votes: 134 45.9%
  • It's alright

Votes: 41 14.0%
  • Nah, Mario has other better moves

Votes: 80 27.4%
  • Nah, other characters have better moves [explain]

Votes: 37 12.7%

• Total voters

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
It's up there, it has the perfect combo of distance potential mixed with commitment, satisfaction comes when there's a risk to making the move, though I'm maybe more partial to a well placed triple jump.
On that note, the xplosive roll jump from DKCR is also up there, especially with how the momentum from a following enemy bounce is keeps you cannonballing along.
Similarly, the Sonic Adventure 1 spindash allowing some straight shenanigans iwhen you jump out of it.

I LOVE Ori's bash, but I figure it one that's just really interesting as a mechanic as opposed to the most satisfying if that makes sense.

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
Cappy jump has it beat, depending on how it's deployed. The triple jump chained into a cappy jump, and finishing with a mid air dive is just beyond any and all comparison.
Oh true those cappy combos are soo good
In one of the Metro Kingdom races, one efficient way for jumping a long gap between skyscrapers is to long jump + throw cappy + dive to bounce at cappy + dive again

Edit: found a gif of the combo but in another kingdom
he1cjp0s0phz.gif

Last edited:

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh true those cappy combos are soo good
In one of the Metro Kingdom races, one efficient way for jumping a long gap between skyscrapers is to long jump + throw cappy + dive to bounce at cappy + dive again

Edit: found a gif of the combo but in another kingdom
he1cjp0s0phz.gif

Yup that's the maneuver I was talking about. Feels so good. Something about how much distance you can get and how your momentum is preserved. Much like the original long jump and why it feels worse in Galaxy.

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Side Somersault is my favorite but the Long Jump, Dive and Triple Jump aren't far behind at all.

TechMetalRules

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 11, 2019
United States
I voted yes. It's never not satisfying. This probably doesn't count because it's not a dedicated platformer, but I have to say that Bayonetta's Witch Time dodge is the most satisfying move in all of video games.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Sunshine doesn't have the long jump but it has the new spin jump, which was super satisfying and the dive was buffed up to act as a long jump substitute.

Yeah, it feels good when you get the water slide jump down. Spray, dive, then jump at the end of your puddle to get a low, long jump

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I love long-jumping around planetoids in Galaxy like few other things in gaming.

Chaining a few Cappy bounces and mid-air dives in Odyssey's the new gold standard, though.

DinoBlaster

Feb 18, 2020
You are half correct. The Mario 64 long jump is tied as the most satisfying platformer move ever with the Mario 64 sideways summersault.

Idk what they did with the physics in Mario 64 but the weight/velocity/momentum of all his moves feels perfect.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah, but nailing that triple jump in a way that's actually useful feels excellent (and somewhat accidental usually).

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, but only the 64 and Odyssey long jumps.

The long jump in the Galaxy games was too floaty and one in 3D Land/World was too short.

But overall the input is perfection. Nintendo are masters at mapping actions to inputs.
I agree with this although there is still something pretty fun about momentum based long jumps around small spherical objects in Galaxy.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any individual Mario move is all that. It's when they're put together that it goes to the next level. Well except maybe the sunshine water slide.

As far as individual moves, something like DK's roll jump hits a lot harder.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really like the somersault in Super Mario Sunshine. I love how you can do it on a dime and it feels like it takes just a little bit of execution.

It reminds me of super jumps in fighting games.

But for me the most satisfying movement in any platformer is probably the charge attack in Spyro. It's simple and doubles up as an attack.

sp9i4jrwjc1nzyll6eht.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure when it got added, but the move where mario does a ground pound and then springs up for a high jump is really cool. Long jump was awesome in Mario 64 though. I felt like I learned a cheat code when I learned how to use it as a kid.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, triple jump, dive into cappy, even the belly water slide of Sunshine is more satisfying. So no, don't agree.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but only the 64 and Odyssey long jumps.

The long jump in the Galaxy games was too floaty and one in 3D Land/World was too short.

But overall the input is perfection. Nintendo are masters at mapping actions to inputs.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

The increased speed in 3D World on Switch does help though.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty great but I really enjoy a good air-dash to be honest.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
It's probably his best move, but I think the roll jump in Jak/Daxter, the roll jump in DK and the bounce in Pac Man World 2 are just as good or better

Last edited:

Skies

Oct 25, 2017
Cappy jump has it beat, depending on how it's deployed. The triple jump chained into a cappy jump, and finishing with a mid air dive is just beyond any and all comparison.

Cappy jump is the best.

You can combo into cappy jump with almost every other jump, and there are so many options available post cappy jump. It is super useful to maneuver around obstacles mid-air.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Megaman X/Zero's Dash is also really fun to use.
Mega-Man-ZEro-Buster.gif

It allows you to move significantly faster, jump higher and for longer distances, and duck under high projectiles.
ApyDMPd.gif

In Zero 3 you can combine with the Shadow Dash Chip/Ultimate Foot Chip to get the shadow dash ability which lets you dash through enemies and their attacks, turning it into a dodge of sorts.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I'm partial to the "jump -> throw hat -> dive to hat -> jump off hat -> dive -> roll" move sequence from Mario Odyssey

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
The double jump in Symphony of the Night is the best move ever. That or the back step.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
As much as I love Long Jump specially in SM64, I have to agree Cappy Jump is better. Managing to pull the proper double jump to perform a large skip feels so satisfying.