• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is it?

• It is the most satisfying movement in the history of satisfying movements, maybe ever

Votes: 134 45.9%
  • It's alright

Votes: 41 14.0%
  • Nah, Mario has other better moves

Votes: 80 27.4%
  • Nah, other characters have better moves [explain]

Votes: 37 12.7%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
México
First introduced in Super Mario 64. You run, crouch and then jump to perform a long jump.

You don't get a lot of height, but you travel a very long distance. And the best part is that it is extremely easy to perform and very satisfying to do it.

The long jump has been present in every 3D Mario game since then: Sunshine, Galaxy 1 & 2, 3D Land, 3D World and Odyssey.

CdgoOfZ.jpg

zlo9UKM.gif

xT3Z5WY.gif

SqMKO6Y.gif

t07F7U1.gif

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Not to thread wine, but didn't we have this very same thread not too long ago? Or was it about another Mario jump

Contributing answer: Bash from the Ori games hits all of Mario's jumps out of the park for me personally.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A good long jump like in SM64 yeah, some of the more recent games the long jump has been neutered a bit but it's still decent.

Dark Mantonio

Nov 1, 2017
Yes, but only the 64 and Odyssey long jumps.

The long jump in the Galaxy games was too floaty and one in 3D Land/World was too short.

But overall the input is perfection. Nintendo are masters at mapping actions to inputs.

OP
OP
FernandoRocker
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yes, but only the 64 and Odyssey long jumps.

The long jump in the Galaxy games was too floaty and one in 3D Land/World was too short.
I actually created this thread because I have even playing the 3D World Switch port these last couple of days. The increased 25% speed of Mario has greatly increased the long jump distance.

Extremely satisfying to do it in 3D World now.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Not in sunshine, but yes it is satisfying.

Don't like what I remember as a the loss of momentum after it in Galaxy.

Odyssey has what may be it's equal with the dive to hat jump, dive to hat jump, dive though. Don't know if there is a name for that maneuver but it feels amazing.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Boosted jumps are generally the most fun movements options, both horizontal and vertical, so yea, that was my favorite in Mario games.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
You can't long jump in Sunshine 🤔

Personally I think the side somersault is way underrated in that game, you can do it on a dime in any situation, feels incredibly good. Compare that to 3D World and it feels awful how nerfed it is.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the triple jump personally. Its absence in 3D World throws me off more than the long jump's absence in Sunshine (where the dive is just as fun, if not more, to use). That said I agree it's an extremely fun move to use and a big part of the reason 3D Mario remains the standard for fun, satisfying movement.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Arguably. What can't be argued against based on the evidence in the OP is that 64 has the best long jump animation. Look how Mario's arms and legs carry the movement forward. The track and field inspired style from later games brings momentum to an unsatisfying halt which is subtly felt even if lasts for only a fraction of a frame.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Playing Mario Galaxy recently just highlighted how well they nailed Mario's movement in 64; the long jump isn't as effective in Galaxy and it saps his momentum a little upon landing; it's nowhere near as fun. Galaxy excels in many other ways though so it's all good.

The sideways somersault is probably my favourite of all of Mario's moves, though. Long jumps lengthened with Cappy throws and dives in Odyssey are amazing fun as well.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not in a universe where,

you can essentially kick your way across the skyline at ridiculous speeds
Gravity Rush

Charge up in a ball to move down hill into a ramp to catch huge air
Sonic

Run in place for a bit so you can run up hills at high speeds and jump for huge air
Sonic CD

Do a slow jump and charge in the air so you can hit the ground blazing fast
Sonic Mania

Spin a hula-hoop with the right stick and then turn into a veritable speed demon, bulldozing anything in your way
Ape Escape

Use your hat as a platform for a second jump or an upgraded Long jump
Super Mario Odyssey

Using a special weapon that allows you to air dash, and using the in game power system so it goes even further and hits even harder
Mega Man 11

Base long jump is good, but there is so much better nowadays it isn't even funny

Oct 28, 2017
In the latest Tomb Raider trilogy when you're falling and hit roll just as you'd impact. It's pretty satisfying to nail it.

OsramTaleka

Nov 25, 2020
After playing 3D world+Bowser's Fury for a good 7 or 8 hours I can safely say Astro's haptics and adaptive triggers have changed platformers for me. The gacha machine alone is more satisfying than any mario move. Odyssey and Galaxy are some of my favorite games of ever too.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Cappy jump has it beat, depending on how it's deployed. The triple jump chained into a cappy jump, and finishing with a mid air dive is just beyond any and all comparison.

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
The roll jump in Jak and Daxter is the best. It feels much more satisfying than the long jump with the initial summersault acting as a windup (that you can also steer) versus the long jump where Mario jumps farther because you tap L for some reason.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Cappy jump has it beat, depending on how it's deployed. The triple jump chained into a cappy jump, and finishing with a mid air dive is just beyond any and all comparison.

Agree. I think the cappy jump mechanics that essentially allows combos off of long jumps, wall jumps, etc. to reach crazy vertical and horizontal distances was insanely fun. I spent a lot of time in the Odyssey post-game phase just pulling off and recording crazy jumps - so much fun.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is the best one I have experienced.

Cappy jump in general is so satisfying once you get the hang of it.

SABO.

Nov 6, 2017
I remember my young self using the long jump as the primary form of movement in N64

it was the most satisfying in Mario 64 imo. Maybe because of the hardware limiting a smoother transition. That "click" into place for the long jump was soooo satisfying.

Oneself

#TeamThierry
Oct 26, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Mario has better moves, definitely, but it's fun. I find the triple jump much more fun.
So many others are more satisfying though IMO. Megaman X dash jump , Sonic's spin dash, going from big Knack to small Knack (no joke), SOTN's double jump, most wall jumps, swinging and passing through a tight space in Spider-Man & Miles, wall running in most games too...

Oct 27, 2017
It's good, but I vastly prefer a double jump (jump, then jump again in the air). It's just so versatile and it instantly improves movement in any game.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunshine doesn't have the long jump but it has the new spin jump, which was super satisfying and the dive was buffed up to act as a long jump substitute.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't find any gifs that do it justice but bouncing off rails and walls in Jet Set Radio is still some of the most satisfying platforming ever.

234edcab581e3b0536edefb5e030dd15.gif