• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A PS4 and PC localisation of this previously Japan-only Vita title was announced in August 2018 for release in the West (https://www.gematsu.com/2018/08/uppers-coming-west-for-ps4-pc-in-2018).

Since then, the release date has repeatedly shifted on retailers' listings to the point that I forgot about it till I spied it in the Coming Soon section of base.com's site just now and remembered its existence. (End of the year placeholder date on there by the way)

So, Marvelous, pqube - is this ever coming out? Stuck in localisation hell? Not what Sony want on their platforms in the West as per their slightly bizarre mild censorship of a few recent titles in regards to sexual content?

81XZ1J01utL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

What do you think, Era? Is this buff bloke brawler ever coming out?

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's Marvelous, not PQube. PQube is just the distributor for the physical release in Europe.

I'll try to reach out and see what's up, though I expect a non-response.

Shizuka

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's ever happening, no. Probably not in active development ever since.

Oct 27, 2017
That's, uh, an interesting name. A Japanese fighting game (?) isn't quite what I'd be thinking of if someone mentioned 'uppers'.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's Marvelous, not PQube. PQube is just the distributor for the physical release in Europe.

Thanks!

(Aware it's Marvelous, and pqube as European physical distributor. Managed to acknowledge that in the OP, but somehow miss it in the thread title.)

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Also I challenge you not to laugh or at least crack a smile at the opening movie of this game. It's... um... quite something.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this was held up, in favor of prioritizing localizations on Daemon x Machina, Rune Factory 4 Special, and Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town, first. With those all out within the past year out of the way, and only Rune Factory 5 on the table to localize (once its ready in Japan), I think we might actually see it soon.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
It's probably never coming out due to one of the gameplay mechanics running afoul of Sony's vague policies. Same for the remaster of the first Akiba's Trip that was never mentioned again after it was announced last year.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
I actually recently learned there's an English patch for the Vita version, I wanna check it out at some point.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It's probably never coming out due to one of the gameplay mechanics running afoul of Sony's vague policies. Same for the remaster of the first Akiba's Trip that was never mentioned again after it was announced last year.

If this was the case, I wonder why they haven't officially said it has been cancelled? Lots of games have been removing scenes/content, but if it was too much for these games, I'm not sure why they don't just say that it can't be done, unless they just plan on going Steam-only. There might be a possibility of a Switch port being made (especially if content on PS4 was an issue) and if that was the case, I can see it taking extra time for that.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Thought this might be it, although I don't remember the specific gameplay mechanics of this nature in Uppers.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Thought this might be it, although I don't remember the specific gameplay mechanics of this nature in Uppers.
Uppers has a mechanic where you can randomly get knocked into the crowd and have your face get stuck in the cleavage of one of the female onlookers while you're fighting. I've never played it myself so I don't know if it has any gameplay purposes, it's just what I remember seeing in trailers before it came out years ago on Vita. And the problem Sony might have with Akiba's Trip is the whole stripping thing, but I can't imagine why they would even announce that game if they hadn't gotten the okay from Sony in the first place and men are stripped as well.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If this was the case, I wonder why they haven't officially said it has been cancelled? Lots of games have been removing scenes/content, but if it was too much for these games, I'm not sure why they don't just say that it can't be done, unless they just plan on going Steam-only. There might be a possibility of a Switch port being made (especially if content on PS4 was an issue) and if that was the case, I can see it taking extra time for that.

The next Senran Kagura isn't officially cancelled either, and Takaki scoffed at the idea of moving that to Switch.

Oct 26, 2017

Bullets have been MIA for nearly a year also. They last updated their site in Sept. I'm worried, they did a amazing job with the Switch port of Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Trilogy. I had hoped they would've been behind 4 on Switch, but they were nowhere in the credits, hell it's not clear about who did the Switch port in the credits. The credits seem to be 1:1 with the other versions. Did CC2 do it themselves then?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
That's, uh, an interesting name. A Japanese fighting game (?) isn't quite what I'd be thinking of if someone mentioned 'uppers'.

I don't know if this is the correct derivation for this game in particular, but launching moves (uppercuts) tend to be called Uppers in wasei-eigo (Japanese-derived-from-foreign-languages)

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, I've always wanted to give this a try if just for daidogi's guest spot

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
I wonder why? I mean, it's kind of surprising, since SK Reflexions is on Switch.
He seems to still be upset from when Senran Kagura 2 flopped on 3DS and they had a ton of unsold copies of the expensive limited edition that ended up in the bargin bin. It's like he thinks there isn't an audience for the mainline games on Nintendo platforms anymore and would rather just stick with Sony, even though they actively don't want the kinds of games he makes on their platform anymore judging by their actions of late.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
If it comes, I doubt it will be anytime soon. I'd love to be proven wrong though. We wanted this one on Vita for what feels like forever ago.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if this is the correct derivation for this game in particular, but launching moves (uppercuts) tend to be called Uppers in wasei-eigo (Japanese-derived-from-foreign-languages)

Ah, makes sense like that. Normally I'd assume people were talking about drugs/prescription drugs if they talked about 'uppers' 😅

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He seems to still be upset from when Senran Kagura 2 flopped on 3DS and they had a ton of unsold copies of the expensive limited edition that ended up in the bargin bin. It's like he thinks there isn't an audience for the mainline games on Nintendo platforms anymore and would rather just stick with Sony even, though they actively don't want the kinds of games he makes on their platform anymore judging by their actions of late.
The weird thing is reflexions couldn't be anything but a succes, it was in the eshop top 10 for like weeks in the U.S, granted this was still closer to the early days of switch, but even then every dev was coming out saying switch was a goldmine

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

OK I finally got a response today.

"No updates at the moment, but we will provide more updates when we can."

Sorry, I tried.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I reached out to Pqube and got the following response:

"Uppers is a Marvelous title, they are in charge of it, we were only handling the physical distribution. As far as we know, we're not working on this anymore and it's up to them to make it happen.

Best regards
[redacted]"

Also, I had my base.com pre-order cancelled just yesterday too. Not looking good.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Another update I got this time from Marvelous Europe!

Hello,

I'm afraid we do not have any updates that we can give at the moment, other than that the game is currently in development; but as soon as we have information we can share it will be shared through the usual channels.

In relation to "my pre-order was cancelled" then pre-orders at retailers may have been cancelled or listings removed as a result of us changing distribution partners for retail products. Previously we had partnered with PQube Games for retail distribution across Europe, but we have now shifted to different distribution partners to ensure sufficient stock is available at retail. As PQube Games no longer distribute our titles retailers may cancel pre-orders or remove listings for this product until they know who the relevant distributors are.

Regards
Marvelous Europe
Customer Support

So a bit more hopeful.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
The localization of this game gives off similar vibes to how Black Rock Shooter was on the PSP all those years ago. Just literally nothing, no news, no updates ever, and then all of a sudden, "hey games coming out in 2 weeks plz buy k thx bai."

I imagine the same will happen here.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
The localization of this game gives off similar vibes to how Black Rock Shooter was on the PSP all those years ago. Just literally nothing, no news, no updates ever, and then all of a sudden, "hey games coming out in 2 weeks plz buy k thx bai."

I imagine the same will happen here.

What was more disappointing was the poll. "Would you buy this LE if it came with just a code, but you still got this rare White Rock Shooter Figma?" Overwhelming YES on the poll "actually... sorry it didn't work out" :(

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
That's more promising. 'the game is currently in development' is hard to misinterpret - it's not been dropped. Seems it's simply due to pqube no longer being involved then. Thanks for looking into it!
No worries. I wanted to make the OT for this and love beat em up games so was hoping it's still happening. Must have been on the back burner for them due to other games they've been making and the changing of distributors.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
What was more disappointing was the poll. "Would you buy this LE if it came with just a code, but you still got this rare White Rock Shooter Figma?" Overwhelming YES on the poll "actually... sorry it didn't work out" :(

I remember voting in that poll. That was one big licensing nightmare for sure. I imagine there are similarities here.

OP
OP
purseowner

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
No worries. I wanted to make the OT for this and love beat em up games so was hoping it's still happening. Must have been on the back burner for them due to other games they've been making and the changing of distributors.

Your OT claim post from years back in the OT OT thread was one of the few things that reminded me the localisation existed over the years!

Hexa

Oct 25, 2017
I hope its still coming out on PS4 as well but I don't have much hope.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find any press releases or news from Marvelous or XSEED so don't rule out PS4 yet? Though I dunno if they even could release it on PS4 without having a PS5 version too, at this point? lol

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Well, finally. I wanted to play it on Vita 4-5 years ago but at least I get to play it.