• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is anyone familiar with the SM9000 range? It looks like it's basically the C9 but with an LCD screen instead of OLED (and suitably cheaper as a result). It supports HDMI2.1, apparently has a 100Hz display.

I'm guessing it's not G-Sync certified, but you can just enable it anyway right?

ElGoldur

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I have ordered a C9 and it should arrive Monday/Tuesday next week. I am interested in buying a sounder and I start to look into it. I came across many reports of people complaining of lip sync when using the C9 and sound bars (in certain scenarios using Dolby sources).
So, are you using a sound bar with your C9? which one? And have you ever noticed any lip sync issue?

DrDamn

Oct 27, 2017
I have ordered a C9 and it should arrive Monday/Tuesday next week. I am interested in buying a sounder and I start to look into it. I came across many reports of people complaining of lip sync when using the C9 and sound bars (in certain scenarios using Dolby sources).
So, are you using a sound bar with your C9? which one? And have you ever noticed any lip sync issue?

LG SL8YG soundbar with C9. Only noticed sync issues with X1X and Dolby Atmos content - this is with soundbar connected to ARC HDMI. Apparently sync issues resolved if you plug the the X1X directly into the Soundbar - but then you lose some of the HDMI2.1 features like ALLM/VRR etc. :-/. Hoping there will be some sort of patch for it, but doubtful. Maybe wait on this years models which should support eARC and HDMI2.1?

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the announcements there are no changes in regards to gaming.

Could be more changes that haven't been announced though.

The biggest difference is that the CX will supposedly get 120 Hz BFI support. This feature was supposed to be on the C9 but was pulled at the last minute for unspecified reasons.

Some other differences that I would consider less important for most people are AMD FreeSync support, 4K/120 4:2:0 support, and reduced input lag.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the announcements there are no changes in regards to gaming.
120Hz BFI is relevant to gaming. Instead of BFI being locked to 50% (8.33ms) and only working with 60Hz sources, it now works with 120Hz sources for 4.17ms MPRT.
It should also let you select between 4.17ms, 8.33ms, and 12.5ms MPRT for 60Hz sources - depending on whether your preference is for the best motion clarity or minimizing flicker and brightness loss.

Can the CX do 4k 120hz over hdmi 2?
Yes, they'll do 8-bit 4K120 with 4:2:0 chroma sampling.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry guys but I just set up my first oled tv today (LG c9 55) and I'm a bit confused by all the picture options available. I followed the RTratings.com suggested settings so going into Expert Mode Dark Room and moving on from there. Problem is when I launch games that mode gets changed to something else, for example to HDR GAME MODE while other games stays Expert Mode Dark Room dragging all the previous settings I set with it. So what I don't get is, when I play a game shoud I always force to GAME MODE (or leave it if automatic, included all the new settings coming with it) or revert to the basic settings I took from RTratings guide and play games with that? thanks

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Sorry guys but I just set up my first oled tv today (LG c9 55) and I'm a bit confused by all the picture options available. I followed the RTratings.com suggested settings so going into Expert Mode Dark Room and moving on from there. Problem is when I launch games that mode gets changed to something else, for example to HDR GAME MODE while other games stays Expert Mode Dark Room dragging all the previous settings I set with it. So what I don't get is, when I play a game shoud I always force to GAME MODE (or leave it if automatic, included all the new settings coming with it) or revert to the basic settings I took from RTratings guide and play games with that? thanks

Games that are HDR and games that are not have their own mode.
Personally, for HDR games I leave it in the "game hdr" picture mode, where you can adjust the dynamic tone mapping setting to HGIG.

The "game" presets whether HDR or standard have some additional burn in measures applied to them, so if that is a concern, then that will keep things working for longer.

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks, as for the OLED light what should I do? I've noticed when launching in Cinema Home and Hdr Game Mode shoots to the max, 100. It is ok or cause of concern for burn ins keeping it maxed?

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Can the CX do 4k 120hz over hdmi 2?
From my understanding, the HDMI ports on the CX will allow 4k/120. There will be an update that allows the C9 to do it as well, but it will require HDMI 2.1 on the other end...in other words...next batch of GPU's should have 2.1, which would allow the C9 to do 4k/120. The CX however can do 4k/120 with a source (GPU) having current HDMI ports (so current GPU's). That so far seems to be the only real advantage of the CX over the C9 for gaming.

The CX also has Gen 3 of the CPU in it, which is reportedly 15% faster than what is the C9. What that does for gaming is not known. For me, I looked at what specs the CX has versus what the launch price I expect it to be and ended up getting the C9. I was able to get the C9 at $2499.99 at Best Buy, but then it went down to $2099.99 a week later..so got my $400 price match...then a week after that I received a coupon for a $50 Gift Card if you buy a LG Set which I then also got them to adjust for me. So all in all, got a 65" C9 for $2099.99 plus a $50 Gift Card and just yesterday got a $75 Rewards Certificate as well. I expect the 65" CX to launch at around $3499.99....I just did not see waiting another 2 months plus $1500 more than what I paid for the C9 65" based on the specs I have read for the CX.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks, as for the OLED light what should I do? I've noticed when launching in Cinema Home and Hdr Game Mode shoots to the max, 100. It is ok or cause of concern for burn ins keeping it maxed?

HDR settings should be left untouched, so yes OLED Light at 100. This doesn't mean the screen is working at OLED Light 100, it's only the range it can go for highlights. Remember brigthness is dynamic in HDR, unlike SDR.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know this isn't very related to gaming, but how is the app ecosystem on LG TVs? One of the reasons I went with a Sony when I bought my current TV a few years ago is because they use Android TV, and there are apps for everything (and for the rare cases where there isn't one, there's Chromecast built in).

Perfo

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ok so for specific modes like GAME and HDR GAME I leave settings as is. As for Expert Dark Room settings I use the RTratings, but I've seen that mode is rarely used anyway because it only stays as such on the LG menus, some netflix show (not all of them, many switch to cinema mode) and I think that's it. Gaming is all GAME MODE or HDR GAME MODE and most movies switch to Cinema Home. Ok thank you very much

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
I don't have a C9, but a C7. And as much I loved it at the beginning, I would clearly not recommend it today. A little after 2 years (just when the warranty expired, of course), I have big burn-in on the bottom of my screen. So the fantastic image quality is not so perfect now...
The "funny" thing is I had a plasma TV before, using it the exact same way, and I never had any problem with it.

So well, the image quality is amazing, but I would clearly wait a little before buying another LG OLED TV... just to be sure that the problem has been solved on new iterations... which is too soon to confirm.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I don't have a C9, but a C7. And as much I loved it at the beginning, I would clearly not recommend it today. A little after 2 years (just when the warranty expired, of course), I have big burn-in on the bottom of my screen. So the fantastic image quality is not so perfect now...
The "funny" thing is I had a plasma TV before, using it the exact same way, and I never had any problem with it.

So well, the image quality is amazing, but I would clearly wait a little before buying another LG OLED TV... just to be sure that the problem has been solved on new iterations... which is too soon to confirm.

Can you see what has burnt in?

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
I know this isn't very related to gaming, but how is the app ecosystem on LG TVs? One of the reasons I went with a Sony when I bought my current TV a few years ago is because they use Android TV, and there are apps for everything (and for the rare cases where there isn't one, there's Chromecast built in).
It's got all the big services Netflix, prime video, YouTube, UK TV if you're based here. No Twitch. I bought a firestick for Android apps.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's got all the big services Netflix, prime video, YouTube, UK TV if you're based here. No Twitch. I bought a firestick for Android apps.

I'm in Sweden, so having access to our local streaming services is pretty important to me.

Can you cast to an LG TV? If not, and it's missing a load of apps I use, that would probably be a dealbreaker for me. I use my TV for, in order of time spent:

1. Streaming from digital services
  2. Gaming
  3. Linear TV
And sure, you can always buy a secondary box/stick/Chromecast to get the stuff that's missing, but it's very convenient to have it all built in and accessible from the same remote.

woolyninja

Oct 27, 2017

call lg, they should help you out

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'm in Sweden, so having access to our local streaming services is pretty important to me.

Can you cast to an LG TV? If not, and it's missing a load of apps I use, that would probably be a dealbreaker for me. I use my TV for, in order of time spent:

1. Streaming from digital services
  2. Gaming
  3. Linear TV
And sure, you can always buy a secondary box/stick/Chromecast to get the stuff that's missing, but it's very convenient to have it all built in and accessible from the same remote.

The 2019 models have Airplay for Apple and screen mirroring (miracast) for Android.

Xbox has an app available that does both

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 2019 models have Airplay for Apple and screen mirroring (miracast) for Android.

Xbox has an app available that does both

Screen mirroring is awful, I need proper casting. :)

Which is why, as an Android phone user, having an Android TV is so convenient. As I said, most apps I use already exist for it natively, and whenever that's not the case I can just cast (since basically all Android media apps support that). I haven't come across anything i can't stream to the TV so far, one way or the other.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to set up the firestick to use the LG remote. Webos is certainly lacking in services and it should be Android based. Overall, I think the firestick does well and the sacrifice for the lack of apps is you get what is probably the best TV in the market.

Klaw

Nov 16, 2017
France
Can you see what has burnt in?

Games HUD for the most part, and I begin to see a TV channel logo :'(

call lg, they should help you out

I tried, but as the warranty expired, they told me they couldn't do anything (in France at least). And I don't want to add some repair cost to a 3k€ TV after only 2 years... That's a shame because the image quality is really over anything else, but I wouldn't have gotten an OLED TV if I had known.

FuturaBold

Oct 27, 2017
Games that are HDR and games that are not have their own mode.
Personally, for HDR games I leave it in the "game hdr" picture mode, where you can adjust the dynamic tone mapping setting to HGIG.

The "game" presets whether HDR or standard have some additional burn in measures applied to them, so if that is a concern, then that will keep things working for longer.

Mr Evil, when you say "additional burn in measures" in game mode, I assume more aggressive ABL? Or is it something else?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Mr Evil, when you say "additional burn in measures" in game mode, I assume more aggressive ABL? Or is it something else?

the slight vignette that dims off the periphery of the screen to reduce HUD luminance.
you typically don't see it but it kinda looks like peripheral banding , I most often see it on the grey settings menu of the Xbox

The sports preset does the same thing.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I presumed that you needed a very specific version of Chrome for it to work
I'm not sure. Firefox has been implementing things like controller support in their browser for some time now, with the intent of playing games locally/streaming.
Unless the issue is a limitation in the OS itself, I don't think HTML5-based apps would prevent these services from being implemented. A web-based client for these services would be great to have, even beyond webOS devices.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a C9 a few months ago and I'm really enjoying it but I have this one issue:

Occasionally, the TV will turn itself off (into sleep mode) as I'm in the middle of a PC game or watching a video on my PC. It may have happened on other inputs, not sure. There's no warning at all. It's as though someone pressed the power button on the remote. If I attempt to turn it on afterwards, it comes on normally.

It's only happened maybe 8 times since I've had the TV but I"m a little concerned about it. Any ideas?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been using a C9 for the past 6 months (my first OLED) and recently got my first image retention issue.

I could only see it on a red background (I was playing Captain Toad on Switch where there's a red background in menus), and I thought that was burn-in.

After running pixel refresher and using the TV with varied content, the image retention went away.

I know this is something kind of common, but it got me really really scared.

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
I had a Roku tv in the past and one of the things I loved the most about it was being able to download apps directly to the TV itself. Is that possible with this tv?