• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Well fuck me, I just picked up an E8. Price was too good to pass up. Will have to build some kind of makeshift fence so that my son can't get close to it.

I'm just a teeny bit worried about some of the reviews that mentioned innacurate colors in game mode. But then again that was last year, so maybe that's been fixed through a firmware update.

I've been gaming on a monitor with 9ms input lag for five years. Switching to my 38ms TV (which was considered decent back in 2016) was atrocious for fast-paced games. The 8 series is half that so I wonder how that feel, will report on it next week.
Nice, definitely interested to hear how it goes. I honestly was pretty surprised at how delayed it felt, my old set was probably around the same as your monitor.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Well fuck me, I just picked up an E8. Price was too good to pass up. Will have to build some kind of makeshift fence so that my son can't get close to it.

I'm just a teeny bit worried about some of the reviews that mentioned innacurate colors in game mode. But then again that was last year, so maybe that's been fixed through a firmware update.

I've been gaming on a monitor with 9ms input lag for five years. Switching to my 38ms TV (which was considered decent back in 2016) was atrocious for fast-paced games. The 8 series is half that so I wonder how that feel, will report on it next week.

Game mode colour inaccuracies have been a thing since "game mode" became a thing.

it's because the processing that handles colour reproduction is expensive and inherently laggy. So by performing slightly more simplistic variants of the same processing, they can keep speeds high. This results in some cases in slightly less accurate colour.

It gets better all the time as the processors get faster, certainly on my set it is so negligible that it's almost not worth mentioning.
Far worse inaccuracies exist purely through a panel variances, which is why it's always nice to get your display calibrated , so everything is accurate

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
I really doubt you are noticing 4 miliseconds more of input lag. Hell I doubt anyone can. I'm sure there's some settings you have messed up on your TV.
I think it's absurd that people are trying to convince me to disregard my own responses to this. It's so silly. Especially since there's plenty of reports saying that the C9 likely has a higher input time than the 13/14 count.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think it's absurd that people are trying to convince me to disregard my own responses to this. It's so silly. Especially since there's plenty of reports saying that the C9 likely has a higher input time than the 13/14 count.

It's not disregarding, whe are trying to see if there's something wrong with your TV, the TV has already been tested in multiple sides and it sits at 13ms of input lag, there's no way anyone should feel a difference between 9 and 13, but it's clear you have made your own mind so well, can't do much here.

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Enable HGIG in the "dynamic tone mapping" part of the TV's picture settings.
You'll need to be running an HDR game for that to show up
Is hgig even a thing on the xbox yet as when i enable it it looks like the dynamic contrast off option the only difference is the calibration logos now disappear at around 800 whereas before it was around 4000

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Is hgig even a thing on the xbox yet as when i enable it it looks like the dynamic contrast off option the only difference is the calibration logos now disappear at around 800 whereas before it was around 4000

Yes, that is what it is meant to do , it disables tone mapping so the game can do it to match the native output of the tv (800)

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
It's not disregarding, whe are trying to see if there's something wrong with your TV, the TV has already been tested in multiple sides and it sits at 13ms of input lag, there's no way anyone should feel a difference between 9 and 13, but it's clear you have made your own mind so well, can't do much here.
Outside of setting it to game mode, I'm not sure what else can be done. If people have any suggestions for how to brighten up that mode I'm open to them! I used some suggestions I found from reddit and that's working okay

da1eb7150

May 13, 2019
Outside of setting it to game mode, I'm not sure what else can be done. If people have any suggestions for how to brighten up that mode I'm open to them! I used some suggestions I found from reddit and that's working okay
Which settings are you using? I think all that can be done to brighten it are using dynamic tonemapping set to on

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Enable HGIG in the "dynamic tone mapping" part of the TV's picture settings.
You'll need to be running an HDR game for that to show up

Thanks i changed it. My HDR Picture Mode changed to Game (User). There is no isf picture mode, only vivid, standard, cinema Home, cinema, game and techicolor expert. do you know what i should use and what i should change?

Last edited:

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
napk1ns Fired up some Rocket League on my E8, that's my go-to game for testing input lag.

Although a could notice the tiniest delay (I've been playing this game for over 1000 hours after all), this is close enough to the experience on my monitor that I would have made it my main screen if I could... unfortunately the TV is for my SO's gaming, and I'm super envious, the picture quality on this thing is sublime.

Now the E8 has something like 20ms input lag, so I'm really surprised you'd find 13-14 noticeable. It's gotta be higher somehow.

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
napk1ns Fired up some Rocket League on my E8, that's my go-to game for testing input lag.

Although a could notice the tiniest delay (I've been playing this game for over 1000 hours after all), this is close enough to the experience on my monitor that I would have made it my main screen if I could... unfortunately the TV is for my SO's gaming, and I'm super envious, the picture quality on this thing is sublime.

Now the E8 has something like 20ms input lag, so I'm really surprised you'd find 13-14 noticeable. It's gotta be higher somehow.
Shoot man, I'm about ready to mark it up to me being too picky or something. I'd say that I have the more or less sorted out. I adjusted some settings in game mode to find a compromise between the visuals and the feedback. It is a super nice looking display, but the base settings for game mode are way, way too muddy and dark.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I have a 2017 B7A LG OLED. Am i played PS4pro and XBox One X games with visuals and resolution and sharpness (and game mode) as good as the new sets?

Brightness is not an issue, I am just curious about image quality and resolution and whatnot. Someone playing God of War or Horizon on a C9 will get the same quality visually right? Or have the tvs improved in other ways aside from "a bit brighter?"

Gotta say I love OLED and HDR. I ask because I am debating if I need a new set for nextgen and experiencing console gaming at the best it can be.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what the chances of the 77 inch 2019 sets hitting around $3K next year...

I'd probably be a mad man to get something that large for my place.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
Shoot man, I'm about ready to mark it up to me being too picky or something. I'd say that I have the more or less sorted out. I adjusted some settings in game mode to find a compromise between the visuals and the feedback. It is a super nice looking display, but the base settings for game mode are way, way too muddy and dark.

Just curious, what games did you play that made you notice the difference ?

And yeah it took me a couple of hours to get the right settings for gaming. Worth it though. I'm way more excited to play on this thing than the person I gifted it to lmao

napk1ns

Nov 29, 2017
Just curious, what games did you play that made you notice the difference ?

And yeah it took me a couple of hours to get the right settings for gaming. Worth it though. I'm way more excited to play on this thing than the person I gifted it to lmao
I think the real clincher for me was Hollow Knight and Overwatch with are both twitch reaction type games. But, hey, you can't beat those black levels. The darkness in RE7 was incredible.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there an easy way to force games to run at 1440p120?

edit: adding it through CRU seems to have done the trick.

Last edited:

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
I want to connect my PC to my C9 to play Alien Isolation at glorious 4k60fps. I'm just going to bring the PC into the lounge and sit it next to my TV haha.

What cable do I need to connect the PC to the TV and get all the outputs? The PC has a 2080 + 9900k :)

Apologies if this has been asked earlier.

Brandino

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I want to connect my PC to my C9 to play Alien Isolation at glorious 4k60fps. I'm just going to bring the PC into the lounge and sit it next to my TV haha.

What cable do I need to connect the PC to the TV and get all the outputs? The PC has a 2080 + 9900k :)

Apologies if this has been asked earlier.
Just an HDMI cable that can support 4k60.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Right. So far I've seen these 2. I see a lot more nice buzzwords for the £40 cable. Am I being taken for a ride?

I'd also like to try 1440hz 120fps and all that jazz as well :)

Any UK ppl get either of these cables?

I think the only certified HDMI 2.1 Cable atm is the Belkin Ultra HDMI cable?

This one

Currently playing Hellblade on my Xbox One X after struggling to get the Steam version to play nice, and it's HDR just looks...off on the C9. Not sure if it's my settings or if the game just has a bad HDR implementation. Any go to settings you guys have for HDR gaming?

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I have a 2017 B7A LG OLED. Am i played PS4pro and XBox One X games with visuals and resolution and sharpness (and game mode) as good as the new sets?

Brightness is not an issue, I am just curious about image quality and resolution and whatnot. Someone playing God of War or Horizon on a C9 will get the same quality visually right? Or have the tvs improved in other ways aside from "a bit brighter?"

Gotta say I love OLED and HDR. I ask because I am debating if I need a new set for nextgen and experiencing console gaming at the best it can be.

In terms of picture quality, brigthness is pretty much the only improvement (and it's still pretty small). OLEDs haven't evolved much in picture quality in the lasts years.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Moved house yesterday and finally going to be able to unpack my new B9 tonight! Can't wait :D

Should I look into getting a calibration disc of some sort or will following guides such as RTings get me most of the way there?

FadedMFC

Oct 3, 2019
For those with the TV do you notice much judder on stuff that's locked at 30fps? That's one complaint I've seen about these, along with burn-in worries of course.

Toreal

Nov 5, 2017
Linus Tech tips seems happy and thinks the C9 is the best gaming TV atm. I dont get mine until the 6th of January, but I am already happy with my buy!

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone's feel wobbly with the stand? Not sure if just designed that way for give or if I screwed it in wrong.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
I think the C9 is going to be my next big purchase. Unless something is better in the 65-77" size. Probably won't be able to get it until Summer next year though, so I'll keep an eye out.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
Can I use VRR/GSync on the C9 with a GTX 970? I'm assuming no, but just want to make sure...

Edit: Looked it up, I guess not. Seems you need 1060 at least. Also I'm surprised that VRR only works for 1440 or 4K, but not 1080p.

Last edited:

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Question, thinking of getting one but scared of burn in how frequent is it? I had a sony 900e but the screen cracked and to repair it is over $800. Would you say they are night and day different from the sony's to lg's?

Yazuka

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I bought a LG C9 55" some days ago. But I'm having some trouble with my PS4 pro on it. I think.
I'm currently playing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, when I start the game or rather when the game changes to HDR the screen flickers for a bit. Same when I turn of the PS4 the screen flickers black. Is there a way to fix this? Or should it be this way?

I'm just a bit paranoid when it comes tot stuff like this.
So I would like to hear from others here..

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a LG C9 55" some days ago. But I'm having some trouble with my PS4 pro on it. I think.
I'm currently playing Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, when I start the game or rather when the game changes to HDR the screen flickers for a bit. Same when I turn of the PS4 the screen flickers black. Is there a way to fix this? Or should it be this way?

I'm just a bit paranoid when it comes tot stuff like this.
So I would like to hear from others here..
When HDR is enabling or disabling it will do that.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out my Nvidia card set itself to 30hz when it connected to this tv. Just a precautionary to everyone to switch it to 60hz if need be.