• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
The starter kit is currently on sale at Best Buy and I was thinking about getting it for my 6-year-old to play BOTW and Mario Odyssey along with the included games.

I figure for $20 why not, but was looking for some feedback.

Thanks all you cool cats and cool kittens!

tenor.gif

Oct 28, 2017
The best part of Labo VR is the gun game by far, I would pay more to get it.

Next up is the Mario Odyssey levels but it's short.

VR BOTW outright sucks. It's like playing a 3DS version of the game.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My brother is turning 11 tomorrow and I got it as a birthday gift for him... he loves Minecraft and Lego so I think the experience of building the headset and messing around with the included games is worth the money, as well as being an inexpensive entry to VR (he's never tried a VR headset before).

In regards to BotW specifically it seems like the VR mode is pretty low-res so I wouldn't think it'd be suited for long play sessions (considering there isn't a headstrap either) but I won't lie, I want to try it out for the sheer novelty of it.

I'll let you know what he thinks haha

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I had more fun with it than I thought I would. It's genuinely impressive and some of the mini games are pretty fun. For $20, I say go for it.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For $20 I think any labo kit would be worth it just to experience and tinker with. Though I don't know if freshly squeezed Orange Cassidy could be bothered to put one together.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
No for BOTW/mario odyssey or any of those patched normal game.
Yes for those Labo mini game designed for Labo VR.

They are actually very fun, and I liked the blaster game. But you wouldn't want to play BOTW/mario odyssey using labo VR, it's not good...

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Any Labo set is enjoyable for $20. The Zelda and Mario VR aren't really worthwhile but it comes with more entertaining things.

Oct 25, 2019
As someone with extensive VR experience on different systems, playing BOTW with the Labo VR was too hard for me - the resolution takes such a drop that I had headaches because I was straining my eyes too much playing for more than 10 minutes.

However, the games designed around Labo VR are much better. The lower resolution wasn't as big an issue due to the design of the games around it, and the games are bright, colourful and engaging. For the price and what you get Labo VR turned out pretty good.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
I'd recommend other Labo kits over Labo VR if possible. The sheer act of building any of the kits is great to share with kids, so you'll have that fun no matter which you go for, but I think the Variety kit is best game-wise, with the Vehicles kit closely following. Robot and VR are rough, game-wise. And the Switch's screen is trash for translating to VR, so much so that I wouldn't recommend it if the kit were free. People absolutely disagree with me, however. If you keep in mind that other VR kits are more comfortable and offer better games, then it's probably fine.

My Labo VR thoughts:

arstechnica.com

Nintendo Labo VR review: There’s no “Nintendo magic” inside these lenses

Neither gameplay nor contraptions are enough to save uneven, uncomfortable package.

JaggiBaggi

Nov 4, 2017
For 20 bucks it's pretty good. The included minigames can be neat, though seriously the heavy hitters are the gun game, and the marble puzzle one in the "elephant".

Mario Odyssey VR minigame is neat but super short; don't bother with Zelda. BoTW VR mode is the single VR thing that has made me nauseous. And I've played Alyx back to back.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
BOTW looks like garbage in VR and made me sick, and Mario Odyssey's VR mode is basically a minigame, so... no. The included Labo VR games are pretty cute and worth the $20 though.

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that you can also buy the two other expansions from Nintendo's website should you want to get the full experience.