• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
FF7 jumped the shark a long time ago, they just looped back around incase you missed it. It's interesting stuff, but I'll be passing on all this extra stuff. I felt like it ruined the story pretty hard with Nomura's nonsense haha. Learned my lesson the first time.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
FF7 compilation jumped the shark like 2 times before FF7 remake was ever announced so it is only fit =P

Pretty much. Shark-hopping is a mainstream FF7 sport by now.

I feel like the mobile episodic compilation comes about five / ten years too late, and on the wrong system. If they had made and announced it for PC / consoles, at around the famous time when they trolled everyone with that FF7 classic PS4 port, fans would have been beyond elated. Just exhibit #893478 of Square not so much failing to read the room, but realize they're in a room at all.

I was a monumental FF7 fan when it released, but at this point I have zero interest in anything, including the Remake until it's complete and on PC.

NemesisTheory

One Winged Slayer
Jun 15, 2019
Netherlands
Nah.

I'm considering Final Fantasy VII Remake a sequel to the original at this point. Ever Crisis apparently follows the story of the original FF7 very closely so people could consider that game the, err actual remake? It even has a turn-based battle system.

That battle royale game tho...
It's definitely weird seeing ADS in Final Fantasy.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
FF7 compilation jumped the shark like 2 times before FF7 remake was ever announced so it is only fit =P
This. You went from the original, which was a world fairly "crudetech" (advanced technology that looks like it's cobbled together with pipes and giant bulky pieces of technology) and backwards outside (and I mean in a state of late-1800s to early 20th century) of the Shinra-centric cities (Midgar, Junon), to a modernist depiction where you can upload your consciousness into the internet and everything's gotten an a cyber sheen (at least to the point the tech now resembles FFVIII). Not to mention all those "world ending" events happening within a 5 year period (FFVII - AC - BC - CC - DoC all, at their final acts, present HUGE world-ending catastrophes). Hell, give it a few years and we'll be near past 20 years in jumping that shark (Before Crisis came out in 2004).

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's exactly what I expected and I'm so happy that is happening. First Soldier is definitely "the meh", but as long as it's not story critical, I'm ok.

Ever Crisis is totally my bag tho! Give me the Switch port day 1 please.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I thought my wife was fucking with me when she told me about a ff7 battle royale.. Like where is the punchline lady? I guess that would be that it's real and will probably rake in millions.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I thought this would be about the 7R ending and was ready to agree but massive monetization and expansion into other projects isn't really jumping the shark.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
In Advent Children, some silver haired kid drank some Ecto Cooler and became Sephiroth so that Cloud could hit him with a bunch of swords that came off of his Buster Sword and all floated in the air for some reason.

In Dirge of Cerberus, it was revealed that Hojo uploaded his brain to the internet so that it could later be downloaded into a new body that could control "Omega Weapon" which was apparently never mentioned in the original, nor was it ever activated, despite the planet facing certain destruction.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Going to drive this shit into the ground baby. I think I'm going to ignore all this FF7R stuff until the entire remake is finished in like a decade or so

Nov 9, 2017
Doesn't "jumping the shark" mean a well liked series has become so stale that they attempt wacky gimmicks to keep the viewers hooked, but instead end up burying the series forever after a mass perception shift.

FFVIIR seems to be doing the opposite and is gaining momentum and popularity well after the original release date. Everyone I know who has played FFVIIR is excited about the Yuffie DLC at least

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I just hope that after all this FFVII stuff is wrapped up we get some love for FFVI.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Square wanted to remake FF7,8,9 On the ps2 with FF10's graphics back in the early 2000's . Shits been jumped.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully expecting for that Yuffie dlc to be somewhere alongside 29.99 for a few hours experience.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I find it endearing that, even after the first Complication of FF7 and the whole Fabula Nova Crystalis debacle, Square-Enix refuses to make one game where twelve will do.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I'm just glad all the crazy sci-fi stuff will be limited to FF7 games for the next 10 or so years, so at least we'll get more medieval FF games to balance things out in the meantime.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
EvLfdl-UUAMXvhS

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Pandemic times call for pandemic measures. It's like the broke that "break in case of emergency" glass and slammed that button.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
As far as the DLC and PS5 version, I'd imagine it's to make some money back for getting the game/engine running natively on PS5 in preparation for production to begin on the second game…

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Jumped the shark or not. These FF7 games minus the battle royale game will be popular and make some serious cash for Square.

Megawarrior

Oct 25, 2017
Nomura is gonna go all the way off now I just know it. 😭 I just hope it's better executed than the ff7 projects they did during ps2/2000s.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't be the first time. They rung that FF7 rag dry during the mid-2000s. Almost makes me nostalgic.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
They jumped the shark when they did the compilation over a decade ago.

Now they're jumping the shark with rocket boosters.

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Final Fantasy VII is almost a franchise of its own, I mean, Square will milk this remake to the end of time and I'm ok with that, I loved the remake and as long this doensn't mean the end of new IPS and new and good things I will no complain.

Oct 27, 2017
It's not which shark, it's how many sharks.

But for real these are way better looking then the ps2 era one. That was like having trash put at my feet

I turned off advent children sometime during the final fight and will get back to ffvii when remake pc is out

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I am curious to hear what people think about everything introduce into the FF7R universe these past 24 hours. It seems like the offerings regarding FF7R and Squares plan for the "VII" franchise went from "0" to "wtf?!" in the matter of hours. We went from them remaking the story of FF7 as a AAA game told over several parts, but now part 1 is getting its own DLC that drags in older compilation story lines, a cell phone battle royale game that is a prequel, a compilation compilation phone game, and no mention on the path the mainline remake will take.

Is this too much too fast? Is Square Enix jumping the shark here? Are they devaluing the story of the remake and dragging it all into the ground with complicating everything with all of this side stuff so early into the journey of the Remake?
LOL They're way past that point.

Dirge of Cerberus/Crisis Core was jumping the shark. This is revisiting the shark and giving the shark it's own sitcom starring the shark and the shark's daughter.

You're either here for it, or you're not interested at all, there is no in between.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
as long as we get a FF7R sequel they can make as many other things in the same unvierse as they want