• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Nah.

It hasn't jumped the shark for me since I only care about the mainline stuff and maybe the dlc if I hear it's good.

I don't care about all of the other mobile game prequel / spin-off stuff, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.

It hasn't jumped the shark for me since I only care about the mainline stuff and maybe the dlc if I hear it's good.

I don't care about all of the other mobile game prequel / spin-off stuff, so it doesn't bother me a bit.

It's basically the same as when FF7 first came out and they embarked on the compilation. AC, Dirge and CC existed and while I didn't care much for them outside of CC, it didn't take ANYTHING away from my core FF7 experience. Same here. The remake was amazing and I loved it. The mobile stuff is just fluff as far as I'm concerned and I honestly have faith in where they're going with the remake

Mattersnotnow

Jan 15, 2018
Yes

Actually I'm ok with the BR and the demake

What bothers me the most is the snippet of Weiss at the end. It points to the sense of style of the previous compilation and the elements of story that bother me the most in 7R

I loved 7R but the last few chapters made me worried for the direction of the sequels. This stuff confirms that they're going to keep going in that direction.

Wish they subdued some of the visual Kei, edgelord and KH like, destiny, plot-twisty elements

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
I don't care about these cell phone games and I will never play the Yuffie chapter so I can't say I care. If they keep up the quality of FFVII Remake in Part 2 then I'm good.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
A remake and then a remaster of the remake and additionally a different remake on mobile probably is a little much.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
I am curious to hear what people think about everything introduce into the FF7R universe these past 24 hours. It seems like the offerings regarding FF7R and Squares plan for the "VII" franchise went from "0" to "wtf?!" in the matter of hours. We went from them remaking the story of FF7 as a AAA game told over several parts, but now part 1 is getting its own DLC that drags in older compilation story lines, a cell phone battle royale game that is a prequel, a compilation compilation phone game, and no mention on the path the mainline remake will take.

Is this too much too fast? Is Square Enix jumping the shark here? Are they devaluing the story of the remake and dragging it all into the ground with complicating everything with all of this side stuff so early into the journey of the Remake?

YES and NO.

Yes, if the games are not fun.

No, if the games are fun.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĆ£o Paulo, Brazil
I love the idea that the franchise is jumping the shark when people are getting what they've wanted all along, and not 15 years ago when Gackt became a major character in the games.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I once said maybe a year or so ago that I don't believe the FF7 remake series will get completed.

As in the remake series won't complete the main story arc. At the moment I'm kinda 50-50 on whether they'll actually do it.

Considering all the events they've still got to complete in the story, DLC they have to release for each part and the way they're going about it I think we could be almost a decade from completion. The complete series will span three console generations.

Thats a lot of commitment. Not saying 100% they won't do it, but.....I dunno, anything can happen.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the idea that the franchise is jumping the shark when people are getting what they've wanted all along, and not 15 years ago when Gackt became a major character in the games.

I mean actually yeah. Giving a whole ass game to a guy who appeared in two scenes and died in a flashback and Forrest Gumping him into the backstory of every major character around was definitely a take.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely. It's a completely transparent attempt to extract as much profit as possible from FF7. And the first remake wasn't even really that good. I'm out! When I need some FF7 I'll play the classic.

Kemono

ā–² Legend ā–²
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks fine to me.

The Remake is more of an reimagining so i don't see the problem with a more faithful retelling on mobile (hopefully later, as with FFXV, also on consoles).

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
The battle royal was a bit much, even if its a project designed to create assets for a switch port.

But making DLC for a big AAA game is pretty normal, and Ever Crisis is necessary now that the compilation content is important to the remake story.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I'm not going to touch the mobile stuff so don't care about them and I didn't mind the old compilation stuff so adding in references to dirge or whatever doesn't bother me at all.

Hopefully they remaster Crisis Core loved that game.

Deleted member 28523

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
square enix milking final fantasy for all it's worth. who could have seen this coming. who could possibly imagine this. oh my god

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
The original shark jumping moment was the first compilation stuff in the 2000s. I feel like nothing good could be salvaged there.

If you treat FFVIIR as a reboot instead (Which it probably is, i don't even think Aeris will die this time lol), the new compilation is just spin offs that can be good or not, with the advantage of interacting with a ongoing franchise. The original compilation was just completely out of touch with the original FFVII and created stuff that was never originally planned for that universe. Now this time everything is integrated which means this compilation have potential to be a lot more interesting.

I personally think a BR game is a cool idea, tho i want it on pc as well, not playing that on a phone.

Exellus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If people are buying it all in droves, I can't fault them for it.

FF16 is still happening too so - eh. The more games the better I say.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
The original shark jumping moment was the first compilation stuff in the 2000s. I feel like nothing good could be salvaged there.

Exactly. That whole compilation of the 2000s was mediocre. I didn't play Before Crisis, but I never felt like I needed to.
The original FF7 still stands alone as a great product set in that universe.

FrostweaveBandage

Unshakable Resolve
Sep 27, 2019
While it appears the character shown at the end of that trailer will only be a VR boss fight, there are other elements from the compilation that they're going to take in and rework, because let's face it, a lot of it was crap that was bolted on and didn't do good for the main story as a whole.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Replaying the original after the remake just confirms I have literally no idea what part 2 will look like. A 6 hour section made into a 30 to 40 hour game

Like how much is going to to be cut in the next game or is it going to adopt the pacing of the original rather than fleshing everything out like the first part?

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Advent Children well and truley jumped the FF7 shark for me, however many years ago, and everything since has been outside of my own personal FF7 canon.

Oct 25, 2017
It already jumped the shark when they shat on the original story by introducing "fate ghosts", future-seeing Aerith, annoying and ever-present Sephiroth and made us fight a fucking giant Heartless.

mute

ā–² Legend ā–²
Oct 25, 2017
No but I think at this point maybe Remake was a misnomer. For better or worse.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
I have very big concerns with Ever Crisis.

It sounds too good to be true.

It can be very limited or resumed chapters, or they take years to all come out, or they are too expensive.

I am not sure why but as excited as I am I feel there is something about it that won't sit right with fans.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
this is a remake of all parts of FF7

remember all those insane additions of the original FF7? Square has to do that again

looprider

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't really jumped the shark so much as reveling in its true nature. Of course we'd get a new compilation FFVII. I'm more surprised that I am surprised that they're doing it again! Shoulda seen it coming. As long as the actual FFVIIR games stay high quality, these mobile spinoffs don't bother me. And maybe the success of these mobile games helps SE fund more AA console JRPGs that wouldn't otherwise get a chance.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Ever Crisis is just going to be a very segmented 'greatest hits' of FFVII which will give a snapshot of some memorable moments. It will hardly come close to the original I'd say or be as interesting as the remake games.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Seems they're going the kingdom hearts route of releasesing mobile and smaller games leading up to a numbered title. All with the terrible SE naming convention. I expect them to milk this more than they did with the original FFVII compilation.

Can't say I'm confident they will make the parts they add from those bad FFVII games good. It will probably devolve into more KH-esque storytelling.

Roliq

ā–² Legend ā–²
Sep 23, 2018
Anybody who say that it's not jumping the shark must be joking, because making a Mobile Battle Royale game is literally something you expect people to make shitposts for

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Anything after the original game was a shark jump. We were hoping that Square's jumping days were over and FF7R would be a return to the quality of the original title, but it is pretty obvious that Square is strapping on their Air Jordans for round two...

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Might as well jump the shark another time. Square will milk all its worth out of FFVII. It is their cash cow.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is remaking the early 2000s part of franchising, where darts are thrown to determine which mobile genre games are most popular and side characters are given entirely meaningless and stupid arcs to satisfy a shrinking number of people as the years go on, ultimately resulting in nothing decent or even worth playing to show for it.