• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Due this gen coming slowly to an end and this year being relatively slow for me so far i'm looking for some hidden gems i missed out.

I couldn't get into the first The Evil Within at the time and dropped it after 2 hours.
The question is: Is The Evil Within 2 better then the first and is it worth to buy it?

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
I thought The Evil Within 2 was well pants compared to the first game and this is coming from someone who both enjoyed and also finished the first one as well. The second game felt rather unpolished to me.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
The game is better than the first, and good on its own right.

Also, the last few chapters are amazing.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, it's very different than the first game. The gameplay is similar to The Last of Us, and it's a lot of fun. The story is great too, imo. It has typical linear horror sections but also one chapter that opens things up substantially and requires exploration.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
No, I thought it wasnt as well put together or exciting as the first. There was so many segments of the same type of area, enemies, that it became very drawn out.
It's a shame because I love the first.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
Liked it a lot more than the first.
I'd give it about a 7/10 and recommended it if you really like horror games.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
People saying it's awful are so fucking hyperbolic I can't even :|

It's a very different game to the first one. The first one had the better horror, in my opinion, but as a game had a lot more jank to it. Evil WIthin 2 goes for the more stylish route in terms of the horror - it reminds me alot of NBC's Hannibal series in that regard. The story for both is great, but the second one is more personal for Sebastian and I found it much better to follow without being needlessly complicated.

It's such a different beast to the first game I struggle to compare them though. Evil Within 2 is both more ambitious and less ambitious than it's predecessor.

I think the core principles are all there. There's still great enemy variety, interesting boss battles and some nice little side quests.

Both games are great. It's just that the first is much more surreal and a lot more creepier. The second is tense, but I would be surprised if most found it to be horrifying.

Definitely try it!

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
It is one of the most *worth it* games in recent memory. I love TEW2 and have zero problem recommending it to anyone who likes survival horror style games.

LuckyLinus

Jun 1, 2018
It plays alright and looks pretty good but the dialogue and story is mostly terrible, even by horror standards. My experience was mostly neutral.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
Best Survival-Horror game since Resident Evil 4. I loved it - it's a little long in the tooth but it keeps changing things up throughout.

Nemesis_

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I think the opening chapters of the first Evil WIthin are also very polarising and it doesn't surprise me to hear that they even put some players off playing the rest of the game.

Evil Within 2 has a much stronger opening as well, in this regard.

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
One of the best games of this gen imo. So worth it. I would say 1 and 2 are quite different from each other so you not enjoying 1 doesn't mean you won't enjoy 2 too.

Serviam

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I hated the first one but powered through it anyways. Absolutely loved the second one. So yes, I would recommend it!

peter42O

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 21, 2019
Gameplay, visuals, technically, story and ending boss fight is all better in TEW 2 but it's lacking puzzles, traps, is too "open" and doesn't have the feel of survival horror like the first game did. Both to me are great but for different reasons.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
EW1 is a better horror game with tighter level design, variety, and better art style. I see why people would prefer EW2 though. Both are still great games.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Evil Within 2 is spectacular. One of the most surprisingly great games I've played in years, and I ended up going through it like 4 times.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with it, and thought the story was well executed. It's well worth whatever cheap price you'll pay for it now.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Much better game than the first. That one didn't know what it wanted to be, it went from psychological horror to the awful action bits of monsters with guns from Resident Evil 5 nobody liked.

This one does know. Action with light horror elements.

Characters are actually done well too.

Keizza

Oct 27, 2017
It's really really good. I could have stayed in that small town area in the beginning forever. Such a great game. Purchase immediately OP.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I bought it for ÂŁ6 a few days ago. Still early into it, but yes it's worth it, especially at a stupidly low price like that.

It's lacking a certain style and the distinctive art direction that the first game had in spades (I for one liked the black bars) and the tone is ludicrously overwrought right from the get go. I mean it makes your typical Quantic Dream production look like an Ingmar Bergman movie. But the gameplay is there and the whole 'survival-horror' aspect, much like the first game, is executed to a satisfying level. You really do wince every time you flub a shot, that's how important bullets are.

Oct 25, 2017
Does this game feel like 5 horror games barely bolted together like the first game? The first game was incredibly inconsistent but i thought it was a flawed gem of an experience

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Didn't enjoy 1, absolutely loved 2 - significantly better in my opinion but it's quite a different game from a gameplay perspective. Open areas with TLOU style stealth combat / encounters. Highly recommend it!

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I really enjoyed both so I'm a bit biased but yes 2 is absolutely worth it even if you didn't like the first, it really does fix a lot of shortcomings from the first.

Chudah

Apr 23, 2019
I feel like I'm the only gamer in the world that actually hated it. I had my issues with the first game, but despite how much it took from RE4 (or maybe because of it), I found it entertaining enough. I actually think Silent Hill: Downpour handled semi-open world survival horror better than TEW2, and was scarier to boot (the game would've been excellent if not for the horrible character designs). TEW2 was a boring slog for me, and I just didn't care enough to continue with it.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fantastic - storyline aside I think it's one of the better games this generation period. Perfect mix of open-ended and linear level design, incredible monster designs, dripping with atmosphere, excellent sound direction...the game was slept on by way too many. It's terrific.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a lot of fun. Story isn't the best, but there are some really good moments.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Definitely, it's one of my favourite horror games and you can get it for a stupidly low price these days. It's worth giving it a shot I think, even if you didn't like the first.
Does this game feel like 5 horror games barely bolted together like the first game? The first game was incredibly inconsistent but i thought it was a flawed gem of an experience
Nope. 2 definitely takes a shift around the halfway mark and moves away from the semi open world format that the first half of the game follows, but even then it still feels like the same game.

It's a sequel that plays it pretty safe in comparison to the original but I think it's a better game for it. It has a strong focus on what it's going for and manages to execute on that pretty well.

Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a much better put togther game than the first, where it was very obvious they didn't have a clear vision and ended up cobbling together various elements from numerous rewrites. The second game is like they took elements that worked from the first game and started fresh.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I loved it, but I also liked the first one. Please buy it so I can get a sequel. I can't imagine its that expensive right now, it seems to be on sale all the time.

Bookman

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's fantastic - storyline aside I think it's one of the better games this generation period. Perfect mix of open-ended and linear level design, incredible monster designs, dripping with atmosphere, excellent sound direction...the game was slept on by way too many. It's terrific.

I actually agree with this. It's one of my favorite game this gen, and this gen has been awesome.
Also it should get more creed for the mix between open world an linear level design.