• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just got to thinking that outside of Insomniac, Ready at Dawn, and CDPR, I can't think of any AAA studios out there anymore that aren't owned by a major publisher. Is it impossible for independent studios to take on projects of the budget and scope required in the AAA space? Is this a benefit or a detriment to the industry?

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
By the end of this year Insomniac and Ready at Dawn both will be First Party studios me thinks.

CDPR... Well.... I bet people are trying to make moves.

So yes, that ERA is coming to an end.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You almost have to become a publisher yourself to stay diversified enough to be independent and huge.

You need diverse streams of income and opportunities at all times.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's simply not that feasible to do like it used to be, especially when it comes to AAA games. A single game can literally make/break a studio if you are an independent studio trying to compete in the AAA space.

That's why a lot of once independent studios have either turned to publishing other games, or have sold themselves to a major publisher in order to stay afloat.

There are still some left, like Frictional Games for instance (developers of Amnesia/Soma), but they are few and far between compared to the 90's.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
CDProjekt was a publisher before they had a development team and should definitely be considered a publisher now that stuff like Thronebreaker is premiering on GoG.

I wouldn't consider Ready at Dawn to be a AAA developer at this point since they appear to be focused solely on smaller vr titles

Remedy, IO, Insomniac, Quantic Dream, and 4A are the only ones I would point to as producing the types of games that typically fall under the AAA umbrella without acting as a publisher for other titles. But it depends almost entirely on what you consider to be AAA,

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
You missed Quantic Dream, although I suspect that if Sony don't end up buying them, or at least continue to publish their games, they'll end up scaling back the level of production on their future games.

Platinum, too, they'll live forever.

I dunno if No Man's Sky fits the arbitrary criteria for "AAA", but it was marketed by Sony like a first party title.

Edit: This trend has been going on for a while though.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
In Europe, IO Interactive, Avalanche Studios, Supermassive Games, Sumo Digital and Techland are still independant.

Last edited: