• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

kurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Switch pro controller is still best, but it's not far off.

This.
But i'm glad that sony did changed there always forever design which was still from the ps1.
This dual sense look much much more confortable to hold. Now sony, fix that postion from the analog stick and don't break up the dpad in 4 parts.

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
I was worried about it being too big, but It feels great in my hands. I'd say they nailed it.

In terms of features it's the best controller by far. Gyro+ the new Haptics and the triggers are a game changer.

In terms of comfort
I'd place it slightly behind the s|x controller.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It feels a little off to me. I like DS4 better. I think the sticks are a little too rough in texture and the Playstation button is in a awkward position and feels bad to press. For some reason I think the shape of the controller makes the symmetrical stick placement feel worse than they did on DS4. As someone that prefers symmetrical placement, I think they actually should have went asymmetrical with this controller.

Jhn

Oct 28, 2017
This applies to the old shocks as well to some extent, but I would move the sticks up and out towards the dpad and buttons. The angles your thumbs are asked to make are a bit much for me.
Other than that, it's pretty much perfect.

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
The best controller I've ever used.

XBOX One being the worst.

I've got smaller hands fwiw.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slightly more comfortable than ds4 for me.

I find i have to clench my hands a bit less and the bottom of the controller is a lot grippier feels nicer in the hand.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Fits my hand more naturally than the DS4. When I'm playing I don't even notice I'm holding something in my hands.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the issue is ultimately that the DualSense is noticeably bigger than the DualShock 4, which means it'll be less comfortable to hold for people with smaller hands (and conversely more comfortable to hold for people with bigger hands).

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Its closer to the feel of the xone controller with the bigger back. I'm used to it cause I use the xbox controller on PC, but I can see why some Sony only people wouldn't like it.

I personally like the feel of it better compared to the DS4.

Deleted member 45468

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
The dual sense battery is poor, the adaptive triggers are a novelity, and it's uncomfortable to use for long sessions partly due to size and stick placement. It is in 3rd place behind Switch's pro controller and Xbox Series controller for me. At this rate I will make Series X my main console for this gen when the PS4 was my main console last gen.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
It's pretty good, I mean all modern controllers are good in the hands.

My favourite is the new Xbox series controller, but the dual sense got the features, you know? I really like the new Xbox d-pad. But the new Xbox controller feels really good in the hands and is extremely light compared to the dual sense.

All Xbox needs in its controller is gyro and I'd be good. A mic wouldn't be a bad addition, but not necessary.

I'm not too sure how I'd compare the dual shock 4 and the dual sense. In general I wasn't too big of a fan of the dual shock 4, I preferred the Wii u pro controller over it. But the dual shock 4 did have a nice d-pad.

With that being said, ironically the Wii u pro controller and gamepad might be some of the best controllers I've ever used.

Last edited:

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Great improvement and feels good in the hands. Have done quite a few lengthy gaming sessions and no fatigue so far. Must be cause I lift bro.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking strictly Sony controllers, it's still not as perfected as the DS3 imo, but certainly more comfortable than the DS4. I love it. Then again, it all boils down to the size, and how articulate ones hands are.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Like other posters, I'm too leaning towards the DS4 being more comfortable to hold. The slimmer palm grips of the DS4 were really easy to hold for long periods of time and don't require you to stretch your fingers ever once in a while. While I think the Dualsense is great, I noticed that in long sessions I often reposition my hands on the palm grip because I feel my thumbs no longer comfortably sit on the sticks.

It might be due to me using the DS4 as a primary controller for years, so I hope I'll get used to the bulkiness of the Dualsense soon enough because it has the potential of being my all-time favorite controller. If not, then I hope there will be officially licensed third party controllers soon with better-placed sticks.

IamPeacock

Feb 9, 2018
Belgium
The Dualsense is the best Playstation controller made to me. It feels really good in my hands, not too big, not too small.

Also seems of a better build quality, coming from DS3 and DS4

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Controllers are an integral part of my gaming experience of course and while I don´t plan on buying a PS5 for the foreseeable future, I was having a look at the Dual Sense thread and several people complained about how their hands hurt while playing. I think the controller is starting to grow on me a little, visually speaking, but the difference on shape in comparison to Dual Shock 4 has me wondering.

450_1000.jpeg

What do you think about this? Is the Dual Sense comfortable to hold? I would like to gather more opinions about this.
Most comfortable controller ever for my hands, whenever I go back to my series S controller my hands feel cramped

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I think it's my new favourite single piece controller. I still vastly prefer a split controller like Joy-Cons, but the DualSense is suuuper comfortable. It's nice and big which works for my giant hands. It's a joy.
Split controllers really are the best in terms of comfort, but the joy-cons aren't very comfortable imo. Someone needs to make a really good split controller. Playing Metroid Prime with Wii remote and nunchuck was such a great experience, I'm sure there's some really good be controllers that would replicate it.

Burgess_101

Oct 26, 2017
I like it overall but the pokey bits at the bottom dig into my fingers with the way I hold the controller.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
Sony has finally made a controller that's comfortable in long sessions (for me). So yes, absolutely.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think we're spoilt for good controllers currently, the PS5, Xbox and Switch (Pro controller) are all really comfortable for me to hold for long periods. I have relatively small hands.

With regards to the DualSense specifically, it's certainly an upgrade from the DS4. So far literally my only criticism is how the PS button feels but it's not a gameplay button so meh. Love the sticks, D Pad, triggers, face buttons.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I've seen a lot of reports of people saying it's not comfortable after longer sessions. It's a bit bigger than past PS controllers, isn't it? Maybe people need to get used to it. Interesting though

sun-drop

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
wellington , new zealand
When I unpacked my ps5 and held the dualsense the first time it was a little jarring tbh, seemed way narrower compared to the ds4. At least how I held both controllers it was.

But after a day of using it that went away and now I find it a really comfortable fit

RickPresk

May 15, 2018
I've found it the most comfortable controller in years, I have issues with my hands and wrists sometimes and using this one they have hardly been an issue at all, the Dualshock was really bad for me so much so that I spent more time on my xbox but this one has been spot on.

TroutEater

Apr 12, 2020
I think the issue is ultimately that the DualSense is noticeably bigger than the DualShock 4, which means it'll be less comfortable to hold for people with smaller hands (and conversely more comfortable to hold for people with bigger hands).
You'd think that and I was worried as I have tiny hands and short fingers. But it's actually not really bigger, the shape is different and feels more comfortable to me. Overall my favourite controller so far.

Ryukori

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
The DualShock 4 is still the most comfortable controller I've used. The DualSense is great too, but it's heavier and I'm not that big a fan of the sharper handles.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty good, I mean all modern controllers are good in the hands.

My favourite is the new Xbox series controller, but the dual sense got the features, you know? I really like the new Xbox d-pad. But the new Xbox controller feels really good in the hands and is extremely light compared to the dual sense.

I'm pretty sure I checked this when I got the dualsense and the XSX controller is around 10g heavier than the DS.

ed: just checked again, and yeah the XSX controller is at least 10g heavier with AAs in than the DualSense.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I've seen a lot of reports of people saying it's not comfortable after longer sessions. It's a bit bigger than past PS controllers, isn't it? Maybe people need to get used to it. Interesting though
It's slightly bigger, I think for me it's quite heavy.

I'm pretty sure I checked this when I got the dualsense and the XSX controller is around 10g heavier than the DS.
woa that's wild my brain must be playing tricks on me. I honestly thought the Xbox controller was lighter

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
base of the handles being angular is my main issue. i have large hands and they press against my fingers.

batrush

Nov 4, 2017
Too damn big, and still uses the shitty sticks of the Dualshock 4 that'll make your thumbs numb if you play anything that uses L3 extensively (like CoD). Sony's best controller is still the Dualshock 3.

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
I was very worried with the increase in size that it would tip over into uncomfortable (I have small hands). But despite the increase in size I don't have to reach further to hit any buttons, and I'm one of those elite tier bad butt gamers that holds controllers with fingers on all shoulder buttons.

Other than the slightly rattly feeling bumpers, it's damn near perfect for me.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
The DualSense has one big flaw and that's the sharp edges at the bottom of the grips which essentially makes it uncomfortable to people with big hands (who actually rest their pinkies there). I can't honestly fathom why it's designed like this.

Oct 25, 2017
The DualSense has one big flaw and that's the sharp edges at the bottom of the grips which essentially makes it uncomfortable to people with big hands (who actually rest their pinkies there). I can't honestly fathom why it's designed like this.
Yeah, I haven't clocked too many hours with it yet, and I do think it's a really great controller from my early impressions alone, but the sharp ridge is pretty distracting. I keep noticing it every half hour or so, and whilst it's a minor sensation, it's still something that pulls me a bit out of the experience.