• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I have a launch Switch with no screen protector and no scratches. It might not have ever been a widespread thing and just early QC issues

XBlade

Oct 26, 2017
I have a plastic screen protector and there's lots of scratches on the right edge of it, as well as some marks on the back of my switch.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
All three docks in my family are bent inwards and would definitely scratch the screen if we used them like that. All it takes is the wrong kind of dust rubbing between the screen and the nubs on the dock.
We solved it by cutting off the completely unnecessary upper two thirds of the front of both docks in use.
Cons: It looks a little rough up close and that's about it.
Pros: No scratching, no heat, no need to put it in from as far up so it fits better in the shelf.

The dock has a design flaw, but doesn't by itself cause scratching. It's not like anything sharp is sticking out or anything. The cause is what ends up between the screen and the dock and the design of the dock makes it possible to get pretty bad scratches. I don't get why the front has to go all the way up!

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Yes, the dock can still scratch the screen. The screens are still made out of cheap plastic, and if you rub cheap plastic against cheap plastic, it's going to scratch. As others said, the only way to truly prevent it is to cover the screen with a material you can both see through and won't get scratched rubbing against plastic - tempered glass. People claiming it all comes down to overzealous users are dead wrong. Some docks aren't manufactured properly. Still.

Actually there's an even better way to avoid it than putting a slab of glass over the screen - run a USB C out cable from the dock port directly into your switch. The dock for my Switch is actually a metal iPad/iPhone stand. Wire runs from the dock port to the stand and then I plug it into the bottom of the Switch.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Had no scratching problems. I used the dock without protection for months, later i put a glass-screenprotector on my switch because i feared i would scratch it outside of the dock. Imo a screen-protector is a must for a handheld anyway and they don't cost much.

Squirt

Oct 28, 2017
no scratches on mine, but i've only taken it out of the dock a few times since last year, so i don't know why i'm replying lol

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
Launch system with no screen protector and no scratches. I've found some docks are slightly warped and pinch the Switch harder than others. Perhaps that's the issue.
Mine fits in there loosely.

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My launch dock was clearly bent and I was too lazy to exchange it. My friend has one that isn't bent and gets scuffed up a bit.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah. I purchased the new Switch model and it left light scratches on it the first time I took it out of the dock. I put a screen protector on it the next day. I guess it's going to be different for everyone.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I got two noticeable scratches almost chipped I'd say. I take pretty good care of it. I've had a Vita since 2013 and have 0 scratches on the screen so I'm pretty sure its the dock

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
I bought mine in march and it scratched my screen. I got an anti glare screen protector and it scratched even that - maybe a glass one wouldve been better, but the scratches arent as noticeable on it than the naked switch screen. Ive come to terms with it and can ignore it well enough.

I really think the issue was part Nintendo and mostly crazy people jamming their Switch into the dock or sliding it around trying to get it into the port.
It's a non issue, you have to seriously manhandle the console to scratch it. I'd say that drifitng on joycons is a very real issue but the whole dock scratching thing seemed very disingenuous to me from the get go.
I dont know how to prove this - I can only give you my word - but I am very careful with my stuff. I have owned things for yeRs and then sold them as "like new". I was so careful with my dock and it still scratchrd. I genuinely believe some units are just prone to it.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I bought mine in march and it scratched my screen. I got an anti glare screen protector and it scratched even that - maybe a glass one wouldve been better, but the scratches arent as noticeable on it than the naked switch screen. Ive come to terms with it and can ignore it well enough.

I dont know how to prove this - I can only give you my word - but I am very careful with my stuff. I have owned things for yeRs and then sold them as "like new". I was so careful with my dock and it still scratchrd. I genuinely believe some units are just prone to it.
It was definitely a problem that some units were prone to

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I kept looking for a Switch Lite joke in here... I'm disappointed.

---

I always take the Switch very slowly and carefully out of the dock. Same goes for putting it back in. I don't think it is an issue that way.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
I'm very careful when docking/undocking but just in case my dock has small patches of micro fiber cleaning cloth in each side. Screen is flawless (launch switch)

OP
OP

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
Thank you guys for all your response
I got the tempered glass day one I bought my Switch
I think maybe I need to put micro fiber on the Dock to make sure it's safe or plug it from USB-C extension cable

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
No scratches, but both Switches I've owned (launch and the new battery model) have got these smudge marks from the small rubber pieces on the inside of the dock that keep the Switch snug when it's in there:

img_20190928_113344izja6.jpg

I don't think there'd be any lasting damage, though; it just wipes away without much pressure.
You have a screen protector on. Op should get a screen protector

Easy Rider

Nov 2, 2017
During the launch hysteria I decided to add a couple of pieces of alcantara like cloth inside my dock, so I'm good.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Mine got scratched up by the dock. I was relatively careful with it, but the screen is plastic so basically butter. Got the unit replaced. I covered up the inside with a thin sheet of plastic and it's been fine since.

Ruck

Oct 25, 2017
The right side of mine is pretty messed up from the dock. Not noticeable when playing but I can see it when I hold it up to the light. I am very careful with my electronics. I've never dropped my phone or scratched the screen. Nintendo should stop using cheap plastic on theirs.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I ended up with a scratch on my screen a year ago. At the time I wasn't using a screen protector and the Switch is docked probably 90% of the time. I'm super gentle with it so there was absolutely no reason for a scratch to happen. It's a small scratch but it really bothers me. To the point where it can sour me on playing in handheld mode at all.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My screen protector has 2 skuff marks at the bottom from the dock. If I didn't have the screen protector those marks would have been on the bezel of the actual console.
Yeah, same here. I'm pretty careful with my Switch too. If you aren't sliding it in/out absolutely perfect everytime, you risk scratching it. My brother and nephew both have Switch's with scratches on the bezel. My dock isn't bent from what I can tell. If you pu the Switch from the dock and the screen even barely touches the dock on the way out, it can scratch the screen.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
Within a week of me getting my switch I got a scratch on the left side of the plastic screen where the dock rubber holds the switch into place. I was babying my switch into the dock because I had heard people screen got scratched by the dock. I still ended up getting a scratch. I quickly got a screen protector after that and I have been good with no more scratches besides the one.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. My switch case magically expanded after the first year and now no longer scratches my switch

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
Mine has never gotten scratched from the dock. The only issue I have is the kickstand popping out as I go to put the Switch into the dock, preventing it from going into it.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
Since day one I applied a screen protector and also bought these soft velvet strips that you apply inside the dock, no problem whatsoever I'm very satisfied.

111.png
222.png

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
People really shouldn't be acting like this was never an issue. I'm obsessively gentle and careful with my Switch at all times, especially while docking and undocking it. I have accumulated a few dozen little scratches running along the black bezels next to the display from where the dock rubs against the plastic screen every time it's undocked. I think that some people's docks are just slightly different from others in terms of how much friction occurs at those two points.

It was DEFINITELY an issue at launch. I'm not sure if it still is though.

Deleted member 23475

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have the super Mario Odyssey model from late 2017.

I have a screen protector and I have some scratches on both side down on corners of the screen protector.

This is definitely an issue with some models and I'm super careful with my stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
I got a new v2 this past month and applied a screen protector before even docking the thing but rather than the screen getting scratched I'm get tiny scratches on the back left side where the guard rail is. I also get those smudges on my screen protector like shown in post #24