• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
"Is the ______ song from Sonic _____ one of the best pieces of music in the history of gaming?"

Yes. Unless the second space says Chronicles.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I always thought Chemical Plant Zone's music was grating. Mostly due to the Genesis sound and the loudness and pitch of the main synth sound in that track.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
So we're really going to talk about the Sonic 2 OST without mentioning the final boss theme???

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
This thread reminded how much anxiety the 'running out of oxygen' sound used to give me

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I have a bit of a strange love for Mystic Cave Zone's tune, but man, Chemical Plant is killer, and a real classic.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Chemical Plant zone is one of the best Sonic tracks in the franchise....BUT STARDUST SPEEDWAY THO

tenor.gif

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Wait a second. Doomsday Zone is a mood too. A real "Race against time, back is against the wall" banger.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This thread reminds me that I've wanted to adapt this into a Genesis-styled cover of Process Man and still haven't done so.

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's a really cool song. There's something about that song, when it came out, that was just cooler than any other video game song at the time, at least for notable releases. It has a really specific sound, it's different from even other Sonic songs in this respect.

jnWake

Oct 25, 2017
I love this track, definitely one of my faves of the Sonic catalogue. I even remixed it for an OCReMix album!

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Sonic trilogy is full of memorable tracks IMO. Chemical Plant is just one of them.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
An interesting thing to listen to is the original demo that Masato Nakamura composed before it got translated (transcribed?) into MD chiptune format by... well, who knows, could've been done by himself or someone else on Sonic Team.

Obvious difference is the speed is halved! It sounds way different and, well, worse, but still cool as this is the initial form every track on Sonic 1 and 2 took.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's definitely high up on the list. It's probably the most memorable stage music to me from Sonic, seconded only by the Green Hill Zone music. Although for GHZ, it's mainly the nostalgic feeling I get whenever I hear it. Really wonderful memories of booting up the Genesis for the first time and popping in Sonic 1 at my friend's house.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Sonic's music is amongst the best of all time in gaming.