• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
As far as videogame iconic swords the Master Sword has it beat. In my childhood/early teens BFG was a big deal.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah as someone else said, Master Sword + Hylian Shield, Fire Flower and Blue Shell are all above it.

Buster Sword probably isn't even in the top ten. It's been in like one main game (well two counting Remake). The most iconic weapons are the ones that appear repeatedly in many popular series.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
awp.jpg
Unpopular opinion: AWP made CS boring alongside with dust2.

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Master sword/Hylian Shield, Shells, Fire flower, Mega Buster, Buster sword are my top 5 in order.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
The master sword doesn't stand out as much as the buster sword. I think more people would recognize the buster over the master.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
In terms of most recognizable to the most number of people, it's probably the Minecraft diamond sword... and maybe the blue shell.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's honestly probably the Diamond Sword or Pickaxe from Minecraft

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I consider Zelda one of my favorite franchises and have played every single mainline entry but I wouldn't have been able to tell you what the Master Sword looked like if images hadn't been posted in this topic. Buster beats it in my book.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
But really, does "iconic" mean getting the weapon name right or the series right? Because there's no world where the master sword isn't more recognizable from Zelda because it has the triforce on it

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's just a big sword, nothing really stands out besides it being big, it's pretty bland too.

If you show people the gunblade, they'll associate it with Squall just the same.

They're iconic but not the most iconic, Sora's Keyblade is way more iconic and recognizable in my opinion.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah

Buster sword for RPGS

Master Sword for action adventure games

BFG for shooters

Is typically how it went

There is a reason RPGs after FF7 usually have a blond guy holding a big ass sword.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
It's the weapon with a 30 year old theme song.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
Edit: Hammer (Donkey Kong) and Super Star (Super Mario Bros.) are also good picks for exactly the same reason

Jun 2, 2019
I think the top 3 most iconic videogame swords are:

1 - Master Sword (with Hylian Shield)
2 - Buster Sword
3 - Kingdom Chain keyblade

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
prior to reading this game, despite having played Zelda ganes since the first one, if you asked me to describe the Master Sword i doubt I could have. The weapon and name might possibly be more iconic, but I don't think the look of it is

edit: beyond "looks like a silver sword idk". I obviously recognize it when I see it, it just looks very "normal".

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
The problem with the Master Sword is that it looks like a regular sword with a few specific details, that's why I believe the Buster is more iconic overall.

Exactly I can't even tell you wtf the Master Sword looks like. It blends in with everything else. The Buster Sword is immediately recognizable due to a mixture of the iconic nature of FF7 and the sword's complete outlandishness.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Master Sword looks too generic, and if we're stretching the definition of "weapon" far enough to count the Hylian Shield then we've gotta count the Pokeball which trumps it.

I'd say Buster Sword is a reasonable pick for gaming enthusiasts, but Blue Shell or Fire Flower is probably more mainstream.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
- Minecraft Diamond Sword
- Buster Sword from FF7
- Zelda Master Sword/Hylian Shield
- Mario Fire Flower

For a video game weapon to be iconic I feel it has to be both incredibly memorable and recognizable to the masses, and I feel like these are things where even without knowing the name, most people you see on the street could say what these are from

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
After intense bickering about the subject, MagicEra has unanimously concluded that it's Steve's Pickaxe from Minecraft.