• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MCU after 2020

• Best years are yet to come!

Votes: 350 61.0%
  • Best years are behind us.

Votes: 224 39.0%

• Total voters

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
2020 is the first year in the past decade where there was not a MCU blockbuster movie. On one hand, there is something to be said for giving a franchise a break before fans get exhausted, but on the other hand, MCU has been consistently within the public consciousness for so long thanks to the steady release schedule that it has always seemed like a forgone conclusion that you have to see the next one. With Infinity War, they also played their card that we've been building up to and the franchise will look different moving forward.

When MCU returns, will it achieve the same peaks and greatness? Or will 2010s be remembered as a bygone golden age?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Help for me. I'm hungry for that Florence Pugh errr Black Widow movie. I also want that third spidey

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Its gonna be hard to top Avengers Infinity War/Endgame type of hype.

Especially with Captain America and Iron Man gone

But who knows, maybe they will exceed expectations, here's hoping.

I'm excited for more Mahvel baby!

Oct 27, 2017
Poll options don't really suit the questions (imo)...because while I think the break will help, I also think the best is likely behind.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
It's as good a time as any to take a break. I think people will be very, very excited to have something to look forward to once things return to somewhat normal. MCU will do very well.

Last edited:

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see them going high stakes again for another few years, finish out some characters while building the next generation, so I expect the next universe threatening crossover to be atleast 2026 before it becomes apparent, with a confrontation in 2028 or later.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the hella views on that wandavision trailer, people be thirsty for some mcu. When they come back in full force, they getting that money.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the first few films that come out post-wide-vaccine-availability are going to make a fuckton of money regardless of what they are. So Black Widow is probably going to do very well? After that? No idea.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know that we can top Endgame era but I am hungry for more.

I think the overall quality evens out and the variety goes up but the highs won't match the highs of the Infinity saga.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Their trajectory with Eternals/Black Widow looked solid. Given enough time, the series will come back.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The future is streaming aka Disney+, as their success not simple as how much their movies make in theater dollars anymore.

Netflix now is worth near or sometimes more than Disney as a whole. If MCU can keep produce films attract people to Disney+, they are big success.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Best years are behind us.

It's going to be hard to top how innovative the shared universe was with the first phases, and I doubt there can be another big bad as fun and charismatic as Thanos was.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The MCU will be fine. After this shit year, people will be ready for some fun escapism when the MCU comes back.

I doubt they'll hit the highs we've seen, but I think we're still in for good times.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Another poll where it's asking a different question to the thread title...

I think it will help, but don't know if the mcu will get better than everything so far.

TripleBee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
Vancouver
I'm kinda glad they were forced to take a break. It has made me really look forward to upcoming slate, when I was lukewarm before just due to fatigue.

Poyunch

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
With how busted thee film industry is due to COVID I imagine it could have been a lot worse.

There aren't any real loose threads and who knows, maybe once the movies start coming out people will jump back in as a sense of normalcy.

For me I just don't know about the current lineup. I feel that the current mcu doesn't really have any leading characters on the level of Iron Man or Captain America right now.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
Single hero will get D+ series. Big team-up, events will go to the theater first.

I really want to see future Xmen in MCU.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Between the varied Disney+ shows, X-Men, more movies (and now shows) with PoC leads, and so on, the best is definitely yet to come. Sequels like Thor and Dr. Strange that have renewed interest due to the change in directors also certainly doesn't hurt.

I guess you could argue that we might not match the absolute individual peak of Endgame for awhile due to obvious reasons. It takes time to build that up. But I can see Phase 4 crushing Phase 3 overall, just like how Phase 3 crushed the previous phases.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
I'm even more excited now than I was at the end of Far From Home for what comes next.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I think it's done nothing but help. I was done after the last Spiderman because it was a nice epilogue for Endgame. All this time without anything made me realize I kind of miss these kinds of movies.

If a vaccine for Covid is out I'll probably go see whatever Marvel movie is in theaters day one.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's helped immensely. Lot of people got used to having multiple yearly MCU releases and about to go 2 years without an MCU movie has people thirsty and craving. Black Widow right now is gaining hype just for being the first MCU movie in a long-ass time.

Of course, WandaVision and potentially Falcon & Winter Soldier might come out first, which will help. And it does seem like some of the kookiest shit slated to come to the MCU is coming from the Disney+ side.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
I honestly think the best is yet to come. Some of their best villains like Magneto and Dr. Doom are yet to come. Ya, we'll miss Cap/Iron Man, but there's a reason they were B characters until the MCU came. The freaking X-Men and Fantastic Four are on the way, Spidey's still around, and they seem truly committed to giving a boost to so many of their smaller, great characters. There's no reason that characters like Moon Knight, She Hulk, Namor, and a thousand others can't get the same boost those earlier ones did with great casting and creative talent, and Marvel never seems to screw up casting.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Losing the train could hurt, but if Black Widow gets placed in one of the slots following mass reopening it could do well.

Still, I'm not convinced anyone is going to be willing to pack a theatre for quite a while even after a vaccine is available.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
A breaks probably a good thing really after their last few movies were very good. Gives some time to get ready for the next phase

Oct 25, 2017
Louisville, Kentucky
The break has clearly helped reduce the franchise fatigue that was building up in many people.

And if an unplanned break had to happen, it's weirdly fortuitous that it happened cleanly between phases. The MCU got to "end" on its own original terms, and the comeback is going to feel explosive as several movies and series are ready to release in relatively quick succession.

It almost might be better that it happened this way tbh.

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with others saying the poll results don't match the question.

I think ultimately a year off helps. Builds the anticipation back up. Sometimes you have to pump the breaks to create the hunger. Fatigue was setting in for many (myself included), but tbh at this point I am pretty desperate to see Widow just to feel some normalcy in the world. I think that will be true for many, ready to indulge.

As far as the poll is concerned I thing we're between 2 peaks. Obviously the build to Endgame was a monumental achievement. As long as they keep quality up, they've re-absorbed enough popular characters (X-Men, FF) that I have no doubt they can do another full build to a giant crossover. Anything after that, I think we will probably have hit the denouement of the whole endeavor.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely superheroed out. Even after a year's break.

The MCU universe has potential to keep expanding, yes. But I don't feel like it can continue down the path of a "true" superhero movie trajectory.
Of course - more than a few hints have been dropped that the franchise is evolving into a space opera. Something that is less stale, and less bound by the "Earth superhero" framework.

So basically I voted "Best years are behind us" because I don't think it can evolve as a superhero franchise anymore.

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
After Endgame I was kind of done with the MCU for a while. But after the the WandaVision trailer and the news about Jonathan Majors in Ant-Man 3 my hype has gone through the roof. I think the break has definitely helped.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just don't really see the same "break" considering the Disney+ series absolutely "count" given they are going to end up barely longer than the films and are just being delivered in a different format. You're going to at least get WandaVision and Falcon/Winter Soldier, if not one more, before Black Widow debuts. It's not much of a break apart from the very clear delays that the pandemic is causing to affect everything.

I think these D+ "series" will get a shitload of viewers. And the films will once theatrical is back up and running too.

CerealKi11a

Chicken Chaser
May 3, 2018
I think the quality of the films moving forward will be better, but Endgame was a time and place type of thing.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Considering the hella views on that wandavision trailer, people be thirsty for some mcu. When they come back in full force, they getting that money.
👆👆

This as silly as asking if (comics side) "Are Marvel Comics done after Secret War? Is DC Comics done after Crisis on Infinite Earth's"

Marvel Films has moved the event comic concept to film. The hype will stay, and grow stronger because people who have never experienced Event Comics are invested now.

Event Movie fatigue will eventually set in. But IMO not until 2030.

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think that people are desperate for some semblance of a return to normalcy, and thus any waning interest in the MCU will be more than made up for by the people desperate to get back to what they know. I doubt the films hit the high highs, quality-wise, but I imagine that won't matter.

Vinx

Sep 9, 2019
I would say help in the short term but hurt in the long term.

People are definitely thirsty for more MCU and "absence makes the heart grow fonder" but they keep getting pushed back and soon they will need to have 4 movies a year to keep the long term schedule. Time is a factor and the end of Phase 4 will definitely see more retirees by its end.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I rarely see movies in theatres to begin with, so I never caught "MCU fatigue" like some people. I watch it all at my own pace. So I'm definitely ready for more. And I'm glad my most anticipated Disney+ series is first up, wanna see how far into the absurd of things they go with WandaVision.
Best years are behind us.

It's going to be hard to top how innovative the shared universe was with the first phases, and I doubt there can be another big bad as fun and charismatic as Thanos was.
Victor von Doom.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Feels like Marvel's phrase 4 plan and timing are a little fortunate in a sense.

Concluding phase 3 right before COVID outbreak starts. Can you imagine us waiting for Endgames now? The momentum from Infinity War will have been long gone.

Also half of the phase 4 slate going to Disney+ as TV shows, right as people are discouraged to go outdoor.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
It will help. People will be so desperate for a MCU movie that Black Widow will break three billion dollars!

ForlornFate

Jun 12, 2019
I'm really curious how well Black Widow, Shang Chi and the Eternals will do next year.

The good things going for them is that all three of them have a great diverse casts and representation. There's a lot of potential for some good stories now that the MCU films don't need to worry about introducing the Infinity stones to drive that saga anymore. (Not that it was a bad thing, but it at times it felt shoehorned in)

I would love for some great individual stories that are loosely connected instead of worrying about the big picture arc for now.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
👆👆

This as silly as asking if (comics side) "Are Marvel Comics done after Secret War? Is DC Comics done after Crisis on Infinite Earth's"

Marvel Films has moved the event comic concept to film. The hype will stay, and grow stronger because people who have never experienced Event Comics are invested now.

Event Movie fatigue will eventually set in. But IMO not until 2030.
Events in movies have a benefit over comics; fatigue will be harder since there won't be four major event in a year.

Marvel has has Empyre, Iron Man 2020's weak ass crossover, X Of Swords, and King In Black just this year alone. And that's just what I can remember, I'm sure there's more. There's no way in hell they're doing something similar for movies.

There might be more crossover that makes stories fill bigger, like Wanda appearing on TV shows and movies major and minor because it's a shared universe, but they're not going to run into event fatigue like comics do because they can't have the same churn rate. That would get expensive.