• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
The americans showers are awful.The European style is far more practical.

Hark

Oct 29, 2017
Lived in the US for a year and desperately missed Australian showers. Detachable and don't have a tap associated with the bath.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The average american shower only has 1 kind of cheese and it's fake, and we clap after we dry off, and then we tip ourselves.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
I hear the real difference is that European showers are located in a separate room from the toilet because Europe actually wants you to pee in the shower and not secretly pee in the shower.
That's a thing in France, but far from the case in all European countries. It's not a thing in Sweden.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have both, fixed and removable, removable is great for getting your under carraige and rinsing the walls.

img_20190130_170339rwk6j.jpg

Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Pretty sure it comes down to cost/choice/caring.

I grew up in the states and I had the detachable head design even in the early 90s. Nothing new here.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
All showers I ever had looked roughly like this:

ebc8fc50-3f4d-4dbd-9uzkvv.jpeg

So, detachable shower head and a rail to adjust the height of the shower head.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
Most houses/apartments in US have cheap head installed by default unless you are customizing during the build. It's up to you to upgrade. I've always had to buy my own detachable heads at stores.

Also if we're going to talk about european showers, how about those small ass corner showers you can't move, or the bathrooms where there's no separator for the shower and water gets all over the floor
8ka3sfR.jpg

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Most houses/apartments in US have cheap head installed by default unless you are customizing during the build. It's up to you to upgrade. I've always had to buy my own detachable heads at stores.

Also if we're going to talk about european showers, how about those small ass corner showers you can't move, or the bathrooms where there's no separator for the shower and water gets all over the floor
8ka3sfR.jpg
I've never seen that, tbh. Tubs are no longer in vogue, but showers still use a separate area as far as I've noticed.

Lots of people are not aware that there are vast differences in terms of building customs, traditions and even codes across Europe. The bathroom is one of the areas where we diverge the most, followed by the kitchen. You can even find some significant variations even within the same country (see: washing machines being installed in the kitchen or the bathroom depending on the region).

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

8ka3sfR.jpg
Thankfully my apartment has a heated floor in the bathroom so it dries out in a few minutes. Also, the floor is slanted towards the drain so most of the water drains anyways.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
All showers I ever had looked roughly like this:

ebc8fc50-3f4d-4dbd-9uzkvv.jpeg

So, detachable shower head and a rail to adjust the height of the shower head.
Yeah, that's basically how every shower in Europe looks like, save for some fancier ones. If it's integrated in a bathtub, the tube will go into an opening beneath the faucet, and the faucet will have a switch to select between water going to the faucet or to the showerhead. That's exactly what I have in my place.

8ka3sfR.jpg
That's a Northern European thing. Here in Spain older houses will have bathtubs with an incorporated shower (Like my place, for instance) while newer single bedroom apartments would usually have a shower cabinet with a sliding door. I prefer the bathtub, but it takes up more space. If you have more than one bathroom, usually one has a bathtub and the other has a shower cabinet.

Dec 4, 2017
8ka3sfR.jpg
The tiny-ass shower cubicles are usually a custom installation for something like a second bathroom where the onwer wanted another shower.

Also, the tubless showers are reasonably OK with floor heating (dries out quickly), also the floor is tilted toward the grate, so all water is naturally directed into it. Moreover, the shower curtain reaches all the way to the floor and is rubberized on the bottom, so no water escapes the area.

EDIT: However, that installation isn't very efficient. If space truly was at a premium, the folks should have installed a mono-unit for both shower and sink.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've seen the detachable kind that's labeled "European style" in quite a few places in the US. It's what our household has had for years, too.

lunchtoast

Oct 26, 2017
I've never seen that, tbh. Tubs are no longer in vogue, but showers still use a separate area as far as I've noticed.

Lots of people are not aware that there are vast differences in terms of building customs, traditions and even codes across Europe. The bathroom is one of the areas where we diverge the most, followed by the kitchen. You can even find some variations even within the same country (see: washing machines being installed in the kitchen or the bathroom depending on the region).

That was the setup and some of the hotels in Iceland. Some apartments I've stayed at across Europe had the dinky corner showers. some weren't that small. I've also Airbnb'd some houses with amazing showers. Heated towel racks too!

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
I don't know if this is just a coincidence but I've visited both Glasgow and London and both bathrooms don't have floor traps in non-shower locations, which is a massive design oversight in my eyes.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man this reminds how cool Japan is in the bathroom business. Private onsens and fancy electronic toilet seats are game changers.

DoubleYou

Oct 26, 2017
I always hold the showerhead in my hand while showering. Didn't know that was a European thing.

Dec 4, 2017
But Japan takes "bathroom" too literal and the entire room is the shower.
ZW8bXR9.jpg
Well, toilets are in a separate room becuse Japanese people like taking long baths, so it's inconvenient to have the toilet in the same room. Also, the waft from a freshly dropped log mixing with the steam is crazily disgusting. So I can see why the toilet would be in a different place.
As for the multiple shower units, from what I understand, in some more traditional families, people bathe together (ex. mother and smaller kids).

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
European: Showers with detachable heads. Upside down showers for butts. Heated shower racks. Heated bathroom floors. Windows that open in multiple ways and completely to allow fresh air to come in

Americans: Savages

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
The only difference I've found in Europe is that while they are detachable (as many shower heads in the US are), they are mounted at like 5 feet so you have to either be extra short or hold the nozzle to get a decent shower. It's like y'all don't have any tall people at all over there

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
Never in my life seen one like the first one in a house/private place... only in gyms or sport facilities where a lot of people shower.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
What ?

What kind of ass backwards idea was it to have a non detachable head ?

So you have to wet / ruin your hair every time you shower ?

Hell

The only difference I've found in Europe is that while they are detachable (as many shower heads in the US are), they are mounted at like 5 feet so you have to either be extra short or hold the nozzle to get a decent shower. It's like y'all don't have any tall people at all over there

Most of them can slide so you can adjust the height.

Funky Papa

Oct 28, 2017
Push the button at the back/side of the mount to slide it.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
Uh, I think detachable shower heads are pretty common. At least in southern California.

Steelrain

Oct 25, 2017
The real question is... why do Europeans throw their shit-covered paper into garbage cans beside the toilet rather than flushing it. Shits crazy.

YuYu

Banned
Jun 18, 2018
The real question is... why do Europeans throw their shit-covered paper into garbage cans beside the toilet rather than flushing it. Shits crazy.
Who does that?I mean in which country have you seen people do that?Because I've been to a lot of European countries and I've never seen anyone do that.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I have never seen a fixed showerhead outside of shared showers, such as in bathhouses, here in Sweden.

This is not a thing. At least nowhere in Europe that I have visited.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

This isn't normal practice. There is however an ongoing debate in the UK about how to deal with the increased use of wipes which are then flushed. The wipes don't disintegrate into water quickly in the way soft toilet paper does, and they're notorious for mixing with other insoluble waste such as cooking oil, forming "fatbergs" in our ancient Victorian sewers. A reasonable workaround would be to encourage people to pop their used wipes into a bin. A more sustainable solution would be to subsidise the installation of after-market bidet attachments and encourage their use instead of wipes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatberg

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yep, that seems to be the case. I've only seen the former style of showers when I lived in the US and the latter one in Europe.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
But Japan takes "bathroom" too literal and the entire room is the shower.
ZW8bXR9.jpg

I wish my bathroom were like that. One of my kids had a flat that was adapted for physically disabled people, and it was similar. Unfortunately the installers didn't put a raised lip into the floor, so sometimes shower water would escape from the room.