• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I don't have the time to play this on release regardless of this news, so I'm happy to check it out on PC later on.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
it might, but I don't see why you wouldn't want the announcement to be made

better to be transparent, rather than try to trick people into double-dipping later

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Not in a significant way, no. But you'd think Sony would've told Kojima not to talk about it until VGAs or next year. Like, it's a very dumb move. I know Kojima was just excited and all that, but now people are gonna be upset with him when it's an Epic Games exclusive

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what? maybe a few thousand copies? in the market where ps4 and consoles dominate in numbers, those are peanuts. the fact that ps4 fans are mad its coming to pc or it was announced in this NON GREEDY ASS WAY, which gives us a choice, is baffling. but whatever. day 1 pc.
This is so overblown. Most people expected it to come to pc at somepoint, we have more people saying ps4 fans are mad at it coming to pc rather than actually being mad at it.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
what? maybe a few thousand copies? in the market where ps4 and consoles dominate in numbers, those are peanuts. the fact that ps4 fans are mad its coming to pc or it was announced in this NON GREEDY ASS WAY, which gives us a choice, is baffling. but whatever. day 1 pc.
Latest figures I've seen peg Steam as having 90 millions active users.

For PS4 it's 100m units sold, although we don't have figures for how many of those are active users (I would imagine most are though).

It's not accurate to say that the PC market is "peanuts". Not accurate at all.

Not in a significant way, no. But you'd think Sony would've told Kojima not to talk about it until VGAs or next year. Like, it's a very dumb move. I know Kojima was just excited and all that, but now people are gonna be upset with him when it's an Epic Games exclusive

The announcement being made like this was very likely agreed well in advance as part of contract negotiations between Kojima Productions and Sony. It won't have just been something that was announced on this particular schedule on a whim.

Makes sense to me. Sony want to have the announcement and pre-release marketing of the game generate PS4 console sales, but from Kojima Productions perspective helping to shift PS4 consoles isn't a direct benefit to them. Confirming a PC version the week before it comes out on PS4 seems like a reasonable middleground between pretending it's never coming to PC until it releases and announcing it as PC/PS4 game throughout the pre-release marketing.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
nah. this is the normal "format" for timed exclusives, it's embedded in everybody's conscious/buying habits now

like would an RDR 2 PC announcement before release really change anything? not the greatest marketing strategy but you wouldn't have people cancelling pre orders en masse. they just want to play the game whether it's on ps4/xbone or even a fucking ouya if it gets the job done

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
A little.

Reviews and word of mouth during first few days on console will have greater impact.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
No. If anything it helps, the game is getting free publicity from the announcement today, like yes the announcement was Death Stranding is coming to PCs in 8~ months but it also reminded me people that the game is out on a different platform in less than 2 weeks.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
It will affect sales, but only among people that fit the following criteria: 1) They want to play Death Stranding; 2) They own a capable computer powerful enough to run Death Stranding at a higher standard than the PS4; 3) They're happy to wait six months to play it.

Ultimately, the number of people that check all three boxes will be negligible, even if it's not non-existent.

Solobbos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Two of my friends who were about to buy PS4s will just play it on PC now. But I don't think it will have a strong effect on the game's sales.

Oct 27, 2017
I'll go with the general opinion here. Sales of the game on PS4 will be slighly impacted but nothing significant. I expect both excellent reviews and excellent sales all around next month.

Still interested to see how the game will perform on PC. And we actually might know about it, even if the game lands on Epic Games Store, because Digital Bros (the owner of 505 Games) offers comments (and even sales in dollars) about games performance in their earnings.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of people who are going to skip PS4 and buy Death Stranding on PC 6 months later are people who wouldn't have bought it on PS4 at launch anyway. A lot of people are burnt-out on Double-Dipping this gen and Death Stranding coming to PC was a Worst Kept Secret for years by this point.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
It was enough for me to think about cancelling my PS4 version preorder...

If not for the fact I had a Best Buy discount on my preorder and saved $10+ on it I would have waited for the PC version and cancel the PS4 one.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Not at all considering there is a 90% chance it will be an EGS exclusive. Reviews + user impressions + day 1 streaming will be far more important.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
A little bit for sure but not something crazy.

I was going to get wait on the reviews before getting it on the Pro but now I'll wait on the reviews to get it on PC. :P

Basically, I think how this game reviews will impact sales more than the PC announcement.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I used to be super hyped for DS, but realizing that I def wont buy a PS4 pro, I will now wait until its on steam, or not buy it at all if its on EGS

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A story driven game... l wouldn't risk get spoiled waiting for the PC port...

Ppl not having a PS4 i can understand... but anywat won't lose that much sales on PS4... also announcing the port for PC almost half a year later means Kojima is confident the game is great... otherwose would have wait to announcw the port amd have as muxh sales on PS4 as he could.

Oct 25, 2017
The majority of people who are going to skip PS4 and buy Death Stranding on PC 6 months later are people who wouldn't have bought it on PS4 at launch anyway. A lot of people are burnt-out on Double-Dipping this gen and Death Stranding coming to PC was a Worst Kept Secret for years by this point.
Can confirm, wouldn't buy it day one before the confirmation anyway, even though I'm looking forward to it. I'd be waiting months anyway.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
If this game reviews over 90+ on meta, nothing's gonna stop it from doing well in sales.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Yes. Multiple people said they will now wait for PC version.

What? You didn't ask "significantly", just flat "affect". Even if ONE person cancelled their preorder now, sales are affected. Should be more specific with yer titles.

Fitts

You know what that means
Oct 25, 2017
Not significantly so and it will be a net win anyway thanks to reaching a wider audience and double dippers.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Nah, PC version means people that skipped consoles this gen (like me,) can buy it now, and others can buy it twice like many seem to do. It's a positive situation.

PC-tan

Feb 25, 2018
At least for me I am still buying the PS4 version at launch, the game will likely be EGS exclusive, so there are going to be people like myself that will not buy it on launch on PC and wait for it to be 50% or more on Steam in 2021 (2022?)

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I've got to the point now where if I feel there is any slight chance something is coming to PC in the end then I'll hold back. Not a lost sale in my case as I was already prepared to wait a while. I'm sick of double dipping later after some exclusivity smoke and mirrors turns out yet again to be just that.

Overall I don't see this making a huge difference though, it's different markets.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
Amongst ERA readers, yeah it'll have some effect. The other 99% of potential sales will be unaffected though.