• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I've had this happen to a DSi battery - I charge my portables every few months, heard it helps.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That explains my interaction with my PSP last month after a few years off.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mine had that happen, same for the 3DS and N3DS. Can't even imagine how bad some of my old controllers are.

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the bump. This had me going looking for my PSP which I hadn't touched in years though I do have a backlog on it that I want to touch again with so much time at home due to covid-91 and sure enough, the battery was bulging. :(

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Just checked. My 3000 was bought in 2009 and seemed fine from the outside. Pressed the release on the battery hatch and it shot open. Battery is visibly swollen, and I can even squish it. Was incapable of closing the battery hatch back with the battery in it properly. I never really played my PSP, so I guess I won't bother replacing it. But I will keep it out of the system.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
Immediately checked mine and it was all bloated. :s

I'm concerned about what my vita looks like on the inside. I play it every few months, but it's gone at least 6 months, maybe a year without play before

I think that it is swelling inside, but it looks like a high risk replacement

Sony offers the service, but I'm in Japan and the vita is from North America

Last edited:

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Just checked my PSP-3000. It's still plugged in since it shares a charger with my husband's PSVita. The battery on it is still good and holds a nice charge.

Unfortunately, the screen is getting dim and has yellowing on the sides. Guess I'll just hook it up to my TV via component cables since I'm already at home anyways. Lol.

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
huh ill have to unscrew the go . it has been making a whine noise when on i wonder if its the battery.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
psp3000 here and still rocking just fine thank goodness, i love the little thing

but i used it recently several times too, so maybe thats why

N1corex

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 7, 2020
seems fine
1WF37O0.jpg

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I threw mine out years ago after not using it for many more years and it had expanded a fucking lot. Almost enough to leak.

Seriously, check them. It's a safety hazard.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Oh hey I remember this thread! Would be handy retooled into a battery-general type of deal. Anyways I can't tell if my batteries "fine" cause I use my PSP on/off throughout the year each year or cause the batteries flat out dead. Its not bulging but it can only hold a charge for a couple of minutes, if even, these days. Since I have to play with it plugged into the charger all the time do I even still need the battery?

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Oh hey I remember this thread! Would be handy retooled into a battery-general type of deal. Anyways I can't tell if my batteries "fine" cause I use my PSP on/off throughout the year each year or cause the batteries flat out dead. Its not bulging but it can only hold a charge for a couple of minutes, if even, these days. Since I have to play with it plugged into the charger all the time do I even still need the battery?

If for whatever reason you need to do a system software update at some point it will only be possible if you have a battery with at least 50% charge in it.

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
My PSP 2000 and PSP 3000 batteries are fine... But I suspect that in at least one of the two I changed the battery with an original one no more than 2 years ago.

But I totally don't remember to have done it XD

Anyway good 3rd party batterie for PSP 2000/3000 and also Go? Do you have any suggestion?

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Something to note is that the circuit board within the stock psp batteries has value. It is common in the psp mod scene to salvage these bulging useless batteries by transplanting a fresh cell into the plastic battery housing to take advantage of the Sony battery board since there are some problems with aftermarket batteries.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Replying not because I found a dying PSP battery, but in checking all of my electronics, I found a switch controller bursting from the inside due to battery inflation. Yikes
so again bravo to this thread
This is why non-standard/non-replaceable batteries in devices like controllers is such a bad design decision.
I hate that I still have to remember to do a monthly power cycle on my DSi XL/n3DS XL/Wii U tablet/Pro Controllers/DualShock 4 etc. batteries just to ensure they remain functional.
If they sit in a drawer and are allowed to discharge to nothing, there's not much hope at that point. At best, they will only have lost significant capacity. At worst, they will expand and damage the device. I had an old iPhone which seemed fine sitting in a drawer until I tried to charge it when I needed a temporary phone, and it swelled up enough to destroy the device.
Meanwhile with devices that use AA/AAA batteries, I can just pull the batteries out before storing them. And I use rechargeables which shouldn't leak (only Alkaline AA/AAA should have the potential to leak).

Leynos

Oct 27, 2017
This is why non-standard/non-replaceable batteries in devices like controllers is such a bad design decision.
I hate that I still have to remember to do a monthly power cycle on my DSi XL/n3DS XL/Wii U tablet/Pro Controllers/DualShock 4 etc. batteries just to ensure they remain functional.
If they sit in a drawer and are allowed to discharge to nothing, there's not much hope at that point. At best, they will only have lost significant capacity. At worst, they will expand and damage the device. I had an old iPhone which seemed fine sitting in a drawer until I tried to charge it when I needed a temporary phone, and it swelled up enough to destroy the device.
Meanwhile with devices that use AA/AAA batteries, I can just pull the batteries out before storing them. And I use rechargeables which shouldn't leak (only Alkaline AA/AAA should have the potential to leak).
ALL.
OF.
THIS.

And yet so many people prefer proprietary batteries because AAs are somehow "outdated" technology, and too much of a hassle for them.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
update: it was a Splatoon green joycon that inflated from the center. I now also identified a launch grey joycon with a small amount of edge inflation; not sure if that's normal or not

I do see your point and I agree that being able to easily separate them is important.

that being said in Southeast Asia I've seen many, many AA batteries leak. In some cases basically ruining the device they were in. So I have to literally store unused batteries in separate containers or just not buy very many.

c0untzer0

Nov 13, 2017
Something to note is that the circuit board within the stock psp batteries has value. It is common in the psp mod scene to salvage these bulging useless batteries by transplanting a fresh cell into the plastic battery housing to take advantage of the Sony battery board since there are some problems with aftermarket batteries.

Is there a guide on how to do this that you can recommend? I searched and found one where the guy used a battery from a model airplane store but they are sold out of it. I'm not sure where else to find one that would fit back into the plastic housing. I've seen the guides where people remove the UMD drive and put a fairly large battery in the PSP, but I'd rather not change that much of the actual PSP if there is the option to just solder a new cell into the original battery.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah. I hate this. Lost one PDA, a Palm Zire 71 to it and the battery is NOT replaceable. But my Handspring Visor Platinum, which is older, is fine because it's just AAA batteries.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
update: it was a Splatoon green joycon that inflated from the center. I now also identified a launch grey joycon with a small amount of edge inflation; not sure if that's normal or not
I do see your point and I agree that being able to easily separate them is important.

that being said in Southeast Asia I've seen many, many AA batteries leak. In some cases basically ruining the device they were in. So I have to literally store unused batteries in separate containers or just not buy very many.
If a NiMH rechargeable battery fails—typically from over-charging, which any modern charger should prevent—it should vent hydrogen gas rather than leaking acid like a disposable Alkaline battery.
As I understand it, this should be relatively safe/nondestructive.
After years of using them, I've never encountered a NiMH battery which has failed this way—only batteries which have lost their ability to hold a charge; and those are easily replaced.

There are also single-use Lithium batteries which are guaranteed not to leak (for similar reasons, I imagine).

retrobotjr

Jan 10, 2018
Is there a guide on how to do this that you can recommend? I searched and found one where the guy used a battery from a model airplane store but they are sold out of it. I'm not sure where else to find one that would fit back into the plastic housing. I've seen the guides where people remove the UMD drive and put a fairly large battery in the PSP, but I'd rather not change that much of the actual PSP if there is the option to just solder a new cell into the original battery.
I've never done it myself as I didn't discover it until I had already disposed of my bulging 2000 battery >_< I have since purchased a Go instead which uses a different battery. You should be able to find some good info about the procedure on r/psp

J.Devesh

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Bulging battery here, where can I get a replacement?
You can find original batteries online, here in Italy some electronic shops still have some brand new original replacements and the price is around 20€.

Alternatively, I suggest the brand "Cameron Sino". I have a Cameron Sino battery for my Game Boy Micro and it works quite well. I think that also the PSP one can be good.

Here the link of the italian amazon page: https://www.amazon.it/Batteria-rica...&keywords=psp+batteria&qid=1596670425&sr=8-13

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Pulled out my GBA SP which I last used almost exactly 4 years ago and the battery is near full still. ☺
Still topping it off though and will go ahead and store separately.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
Lithium-ion batteries are typically best stored at around half capacity from everything I've read. Topping it off may be counterproductive.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I checked my PSP 2k last week and they were still good. When I'm not playing my PSP for a period of time I tend to take the battery out and put everything back into the box. When I do this my batteries tend to still have some decent charge to them. I do still worry about my other devices where the battery is internal like my PSP Go, my Vitas and my 3DS units. =/