• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I looked at my old PSP Slim (3000 Japan Import) a few months ago after not playing it for a few years. That battery was almost oval shaped and that popped the battery cover off lol.

Went online and purchased what they claimed was an new OEM Sony manufactured PSP battery (looks like the Japan model), it at least looks the part and from what I researched online sounds like it is legit. So far after charging it up has worked well for the last few months.

Last edited:

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Is there any difference between having something sitting arouind in the open unused for awhile vs boxed up an stored away in some dank place? I dun put my stuff away an as far as I can tell all my handhelds are still fine an good even my very untouched for years GBA SP.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It is a crap shoot.

The collector in me understands keeping things factory sealed.

The collector in me also understands wanting to keep things in working order.

If you care about preservation, you'll ensure that your systems aren't exploding.

This is why systems which shipped with removable (and separate) batteries rock. I still have a factory sealed OG Game Boy that makes for a great display piece (clear, Play It Loud model) and no worries about battery damage because the batteries aren't actually in the system.

But yeah. The biggest killer of electronics over the years in my place has been batteries. Just have to forget them long enough and BOOM. Ticking time bombs. :(
Your game boys also won't last forever the insides will eventually rust away. Capacitors leak, internal button batteries bulge, oxidation, rust, corrosion everything you can think off.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Just checked my launch unit and the battery seems fine. I took it out though just to be safe. Havent powered it on probably 10 years.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Your game boys also won't last forever the insides will eventually rust away. Capacitors leak, internal button batteries bulge, oxidation, rust, corrosion everything you can think off.

I know. At some point I'm going to need to pay someone to redo the caps in my Duo and Duo Express. :(

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
Took my PSP Slim out of the box yesterday and unfortunately, I can confirm this is a thing. :-\

Luckily there seems to be relatively easy to find a replacement without spending too much.

Oct 26, 2017
When you're checking to see if it works do you turn it on without plugging it in first or do you charge it up first then turn it on?

My PSP battery is already done for but I'm wondering about my 3DS.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
When you're checking to see if it works do you turn it on without plugging it in first or do you charge it up first then turn it on?

My PSP battery is already done for but I'm wondering about my 3DS.

Well, check the battery first to see if its swelling. If not, try to turn on the system without plugging it in to see how much charge its holding. If it still has charge saved up after sitting unused for a long time, the battery is in good health. If it is completely drained the battery might still be ok too, though that can be a sign that the battery is weakening.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Mine was bulging too. Which is weird since I checked mine last year and none of my older electronics are displaying this problem. I wonder if it's something to do with the PSP design that they are all doing this at once.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yep. Mine was bulging too. Which is weird since I checked mine last year and none of my older electronics are displaying this problem. I wonder if it's something to do with the PSP design that they are all doing this at once.
When you checked yours last year did you charge the battery? Just leaving it in for another year increases the chance of an issue.

emb

Oct 28, 2017
Mine looks bulged, but just little? Batter cover still fits, so not sure if it was always like that or not.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
PSA Bump: Check your PSP if you haven't used it in a while!

kotaku.com

PSP Owners, Check Your Batteries

This weekend on Japanese Twitter, “PSP バッテリー” (PSP battery) started trending. Owners of the Sony handheld began noticing that the batteries were swelling up, and in some cases bursting open.

I found out about this issue thanks to this thread in 2018, the batteries in both of my PSPs (OG and 2000) were swollen and in really bad shape.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I still have the one from 2005 and it never buldged lol.

Shit is rocking and its original sony oem model not cheap ass one.
Have you been using it from time to time? I've read that old lithium ion batteries can start to swell when they are completely empty and haven't been charged in a while. I've experienced this with old iPhones and some older handhelds like PSP that hadn't been charged in ages.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Have you been using it from time to time? I've read that old lithium ion batteries can start to swell when they are completely empty and haven't been charged for a while. I've experienced this with old iPhones and some older handhelds like PSP that hadn't been charged in ages.
You know I used to use it a lot but then out it in storage. Maybe last year I just took it out and charged the psp with battery connected because I heard its better to charge it even if you don't use it. Like you say, leaving it empty for years damages it.

I now do it for all my vitas (lol) and psp, pspgo when I can. Like charge it ever 6 months and put them back in storage.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I saw this on Twitter a week ago and my PSP-3000 battery was bulging, the plastic of the battery was cracked, glad I checked

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
You know I used to use it a lot but then out it in storage. Maybe last year I just took it out and charged the psp with battery connected because I heard its better to charge it even if you don't use it. Like you say, leaving it empty for years damages it.

I now do it for all my vitas (lol) and psp, pspgo when I can. Like charge it ever 6 months and put them back in storage.
I've started to do that as well after seeing this thread, didn't know that empty lithium ion batteries behave that way.

My Vitas (tip of the hat, lol) were still fine, but the PSP batteries looked like they would go "Suzuki Bakuhatsu bad ending" on me if I touched them the wrong way, haha.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I looked at my PSP a few weeks ago and the battery had already swollen so much that it had broken the case open.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
StUAzLzm.jpg

My MGS edition PSP is still in my bag and working great. ;)

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
One great thing about the PSP is that it at least works even if you completely remove the battery, provided you plug it in of course. The Vita won't turn on. So, I'm probably more likely to be able to play my PSP 20 years from now than my Vita.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Is a psp1000 battery meant to be flat on both sides or curved on one side lol
It may be swollen but it's super uniform so I don't know

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
One great thing about the PSP is that it at least works even if you completely remove the battery, provided you plug it in of course. The Vita won't turn on. So, I'm probably more likely to be able to play my PSP 20 years from now than my Vita.
One caveat: you cannot update firmware unless there's a battery in it with at least 50% charge, even if t's plugged in. I found that all 3 of my PSP batteries, one of which was an official HC battery, had been ballooning a few months ago. It hurts because I don't want to buy some crappy Chinese battery just to update to 6.61, even though I have no real reason to.

So I did what any normal PSP user would do: loaded up the CFW executer and ripped all of my UMDs to my network share. Now I can just play my PSP ISOs that I actually, factually, legally own on PPSSPP.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017

While this is true, I've run into an issue with it...I was trying to get the presumably final PSP firmware upgrade with it plugged in, but the firmware won't install unless your battery is sufficiently charged, and since I don't have a battery, no firmware. That means I'm probably going to have to grab a cheap replacement just so I can access my digital PSP games. :/

Edit: LOL, same issue above while I was typing this.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Is a psp1000 battery meant to be flat on both sides or curved on one side lol
It may be swollen but it's super uniform so I don't know
I think it's flat on the back and slightly curved on the side where the cover plate goes. You can check how it's supposed to look if you search for replacement batteries on Amazon.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I had multiple official batteries that all expanded years ago. My psp that had one in it at the time wont turn on with a third party battery, not sure if thats a dodgy third party problem. PSPGo still going strong though.

edit: lol I see this is an old thread I already replied to. Oh well, looks out for those PSP batteries!

Last edited:

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I am going to find mine and check but it's been many years since they've been used so... not feeling confident.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
this is true of most lithium ion devices. Unused for a long time and in heat can cause bulging batteries.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Mine are good, but they see occasional use from time to time, so that's probably why.

Tangentially related, my OG JP 3DS seems to have a bulging battery (Hadn't touched it since getting a JP New 3DS a few years back). I guess I should do something about that.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just found my PSP battery, and it had swollen out of the case, with the silver inner part visible. Just took it outside with a pair of tongs, put it in a cat food can, and put a loose layer of tinfoil on top. Not really comfortable transporting it, is there another way to dispose of it safely?

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Just found my PSP battery, and it had swollen out of the case, with the silver inner part visible. Just took it outside with a pair of tongs, put it in a cat food can, and put a loose layer of tinfoil on top. Not really comfortable transporting it, is there another way to dispose of it safely?
I spent a Saturday going through all my old devices with lithium ion batteries, found about 10 that were swollen (old point-and-shoot cameras, smartphones, smartwatch, DSs, GBA SP, and PSPs). I placed them all in an old microwave that I had to recycle anyway, put some gaffer tape over the glass window, stored the microwave in the trunk and drove it to the nearest dump/recycling center where they take old batteries. Probably overkill, but I was careful after all those stories about exploding Samsung Notes.

Some of those batteries were in pretty bad shape, especially the PSP ones which looked like the one you described. But none of them leaked, caught fire or exploded during transport. You should be fine if you don't bend the batteries while you take them out and go to the nearest recycling place.

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Mine seem fine, although the high capacity battery always had a bit of a bulge on purchase; nothing to break the case, just that it clearly was fatter than the standard one. But a great PSA to keep an eye on...

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
Replying not because I found a dying PSP battery, but in checking all of my electronics, I found a switch controller bursting from the inside due to battery inflation. Yikes

so again bravo to this thread

Martin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Checked my PSP battery and everything is normal. But my 3DS battery started to "grow"

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I think I removed my PSP's battery once I finished playing forever, but I'll check it again.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. Checked my trust old PSP, and the battery was so bloated that it had pushed the battery lid off of the console. At least it hadnt leaked or damaged the actual PSP, but it still sucks.

Pororoka

Nov 1, 2017
MX
The only battery that I have that started to get bloated is the one on my GBA SP, haven't found a trustworthy replacement for it.

I use from time to time my portables and so far everything is fine, only a 3rd party battery for a PSP 1000 that a friend gave me as a future replacement is really bloated and Idk what to do with it.

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
So how often should you be power cycling spare batteries? I have a couple sealed systems I'll probably open up.

Chanser

Oct 27, 2017
Confirmed, mine has bulged out.

GBA SP is fine.
DSi XL is fine.
DS Lite is fine.

Last edited:

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
My 3DS battery got fat years ago and I swapped it, and I also did with my PSP. Though finding a replacement PSP battery is a big pain due to the sheer amount of bootlegs flooding the internet. I found a legit one in a retro game store, but I have no idea how much longer it'll be easy to do that...

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
My og battery from my 1000 model was swelled enough to remove it. My 2000 model battery is ok (for now).