• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Watching the Nintendo Direct, I like most people was immediately enamored with Tetris 99. I immediately hopped on my Switch that evening and lost about an hour to playing random people online, where I probably peaked with a career-high #16 finish. For something that seems like what was probably a relatively low investment from Nintendo's end, Tetris 99 made me feel pretty good about being an NSO subscriber when I've only really used the service for Rocket League.

I got to thinking what about it was such a feel-good experience, and this is what I came up with:
  1. Tetris 99 was a surprise announcement combined with a same-day drop.
  2. By catching subscribers like me off guard, I and many others wanted to try it ASAP.
  3. This ensured matchmaking was suburb since matches were filling out very quickly. It set a very positive first impression and I will definitely come back
  4. This also set social media ablaze with "Tetris Battle Royale" jokes. It's release felt like an "event" in such a way that if I was not an NSO member, I'd be interested in what the fuss was about.
It all felt so perfectly executed in a way that got me thinking: is Tetris 99 a preview for the model for how Nintendo will improve its online services?

If you'll recall recently, Nintendo was pressed on this topic of its somewhat middling NSO yearly-subscriber attach rate and had the following to say:

Our objective for launching the service is to bring "More Games. More Features. More Fun." to Nintendo Switch. Our focus at this point is on boosting the appeal of the service. We need to further enhance the content of the service for the subscriber base to reach a certain size, so that is what we're working on, with the understanding that the time it will take to do so will be measured in years

Based on the above I do not think Tetris 99 is a lark. My thoughts are that NIntendo will shadow-drop an Online-focused experience like Tetris 99 potentially once a quarter. Whereas PSN/XBL provides existing games for free, I think NIntendo will instead focus on giving wholly unique experiences to its Switch online subscribers similar to Tetris 99. The genius of this is, by making these games free for all subscribers, they can guarantee a large install base that will ensure matchmaking over time, or, at least for the 3-month duration where it's "the latest freebie".

While you can speculate about other games/new IP Nintendo could develop for this service, I also think it would be wise for Nintendo to potentially do this to some extent with remasters/ports of existing Nintendo online games that maybe didn't reach as many people as they could have. While this is pure speculation without me inventing games, I could see the rest of 2019 going like this:
  • Q2: Wii Sports Club (Wii U Remaster) - Seems like a low-investment port since it was on the Wii U and a logical one because the Switch doesn't have many games that utilize the JoyCon motion controls. Since so many people that bought the Switch haven't bought a Nintendo console since the Wii, where Wii Sports was a pack in, it makes sense Nintendo would want to monetize casual Nintendo fans by making this a Switch Online exclusive.
  • Q3: The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS Remake for 1 screen) - Despite middling reviews, Triforce Heroes was really fun but had a big matchmaking problem online. I feel like it didn't get it's due partially because the cost of entry for playing it with friends was about 90 dollars. I think if it came as a freebie in this surface, with slightly enhanced graphics, this game would be seen in a much better light. I can see them shadow dropping this alongside some more Link's Awakening news closer to its launch.
  • Q4: Metroid Prime Federation Force (3DS Remake for 1 screen) - Perhaps this would be seen as a trolly release for Nintendo, just as it was when it first came out? However my understanding is that that this game was supposed to bridge the plot between Prime 3 and Prime 4 (maybe that's scrapped now?). Much like Triforce Heroes though, I think even these games detractors would give it a chance if all of their NSO friends could play it immediately. I know I would.
Taking the free GBA games on the 3DS's "Ambassador Program" as precedent, it's not unique for NIntendo to try to do unconventional things in order to improve the quality of a hardware or surface. And the games I mentioned above, while not trivial investments, I'd think are relatively low compared to making entirely unique games. Additionally, everybody likes a "free" surprise (even if it's not actually free), so it would make people currently going month-to-month perhaps a little unsure about dropping the service.

What do you all think? Is this Nintendo's plan to improve NSO?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. Game is a super simple concept but really fun and replayable.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its just a freebie to avoid negative communication around their service for a few weeks
nothing more, must have been done very quickly

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
If it is, I'd be very satisfied. This is the exact kind of small game I wouldn't want to pay any price for, but feels perfectly at home when included in a subscription price.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, that's how I'm looking at it. It's funny, my first thought upon loading it up was, "I wonder what they're going to sell me?" instead of thinking, "Is this something that will add value to Nintendo Online?" I'm so jaded, but happy to be wrong for now. :)

Popcicle

Unbroken Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Sure no one agrees with me, but I'm enjoying it more than Tetris Effect...
Course I frequently enjoy simple concept games that just explore the gameplay loop

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
What if Mario Bros 99? Based off Mario bros multi, but not just Mario and Luigi, or even Wario and waluigi, but also enemies like Koopas and crabs

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
What caught me off guard was how free it is and how there was NO monetization at all!
The game is just that good (and plays EXACTLY like GOAT PuyoPuyo Tetris) that I was wondering why the game didn't ask me to open my wallet.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
F-Zero 99. Who says no.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty clearly, I think. It's a much savvier decision than I expected from Nintendo regarding online, to be honest.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo has more of these 99 games for their online service, I think that would be pretty cool. There are so many genres where it could work well.

OP
OP
jakoo

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's a kitschy little experiment for people to try out and gather around, and it inherently requires the online service. That's pretty neat.

The kitschy experience aspect of Tetris 99 it is what makes me think Triforce Heroes and Federation Force would be oddly good fits for the service. I think people would have a much better opinion of those games if they were "free" and you could immediately play them with all of your friends/match-make easily.

Deleted member 51789

Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I think there'll be more small sweetener games like this to come to add value to the service, maybe every couple of months or so

IronicSonic

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope so. I'm considering to buy a full subscription after my 7 days trial because of it

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Do they really need any other game though? This is THE GAME. They pulled off the same trick they did with the game boy.... with the same game! Lol To me this game is kind of a killer app.

Many other puzzle games will and for good reason copy this model, I'm sure, its just lots of fun.

OP
OP
jakoo

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Do they really need any other game though? This is THE GAME. They pulled off the same trick they did with the game boy.... with the same game! Lol To me this game is kind of a killer app.

Many other puzzle games will and for good reason copy this model, I'm sure, its just lots of fun.

Puzzle games don't appeal to everyone, though....I think if my prediction is correct, NIntendo will need to appeal with a good cross section of genres if this is how they want NSO to stand out.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a "Special Offer" like they said we would occasionally get. I doubt they acted that fast.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's a neat idea that I'm surprised no one else thought of before and it's free, which is nice.
I hope they do more things like this.

They absolutely need some sort of Mario Maker level sharing service for online subs that replicates Miiverse functionality.

Kunka Kid

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm considering signing up just to play it (and the NES games I guess).

I'd assume there are others like me, so maybe it's working?

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I personally hope not. I want to see them add more platforms to this service besides NES, not give me Tetris, lol.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Preview?

They said they will support the game with events, this may be more than just "a little experiment"

But i'm sure there will be more games like this in the future.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Sure no one agrees with me, but I'm enjoying it more than Tetris Effect...
Course I frequently enjoy simple concept games that just explore the gameplay loop
I agree with you in that it does away with the aesthetic fluff in favor of a more pure gameplay experience. TE was one of my favorites from last year, but I got tired of it faster than I thought I would. I could see myself playing this for a long time, only because it's more focused. I'm also much faster/better at this with the Joy-Con "d-pad" than I am with the DualShock 4's.

Oct 27, 2017
Got me to buy a subscription. I checked out the library of NES games and I just laughed. I was right to not buy a sub for that old shit. Tetris 99 is totally worth it since I would have paid 20 to get it anyway. It only has one mode, but it's already a better game than Tetris Effect imo. TE really hurt itself by not offering multiplayer.

OP
OP
jakoo

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's just a "Special Offer" like they said we would occasionally get. I doubt they acted that fast.

Well presumably they didn't just turn this around as of the investors meeting. You have to assume this has been the works for some time and they just announced it recently.

Nintendo always had distributed teams working on smaller-scale projects during the 3DS life for those Mii Plaza games. The same kind of model could apply to Nintendo Switch Online games, too.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Yeah think Tetris 99 is a way for them to boost their sub count. A free game that requires an NSO sub. Rather than games like Fortnite, etc. that don't.

It's smart of them to do. A solid puzzle game with immeasurable replayability especially for those that love puzzle games.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I personally hope not. I want to see them add more platforms to this service besides NES, not give me Tetris, lol.
It's probably going to be both. While we used to get a bunch of Virtual Console, WiiWare, DSiWare and 3DS/Wii U eShop exclusives, with Switch Nintendo will fold all that into NSO. NES Online and Tetris 99 are just the start.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Balloon Fight 99 let's go.
hqdefault.jpg

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be fun if the 99 in particular became a subseries. So many ip's that would benefit from going BR.