• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I have fond memories of it because it was the last great (maybe even the last good) Tales game. That being said, I don't think it matches up with the best games in the genre. I wouldn't even place it as the best Tales game, personally.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So many fond memories of Vesperia; I remembering buying a 360 just for that game.

-likable cast
-great overworld
-nice celshaded graphics
-good battle system
-good voiceacting and music
-decent plot (atleast better then many other games)

Sadly i never got to play the superior ps3 version. But it is progressing nicely in RPCS3, so it will happen someday.

Did ps3 version had new areas or was it just the extra characther?
One of the best Tales games ever? Yeah. A great JRPG? Yeah. One of the best JRPG protagonist ever? Yup. One of the best JRPGs ever? Nah.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Best overall Tales game, but the garbage 3rd act holds it back from being in the all time JRPG greats.

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
It starts off strong, but falters in the second half.

I still think it's great. I bought a 360 mainly to play it, another one to finish it.

Shame we never got the ps3 version in the west.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Vesperia, but I think I enjoyed Symphonia and Abyss more. For me at least, the lack of compelling and memorable antagonists in Vesperia was a big letdown, I don't even remember them. Where as I can quickly remember the Cruxis/Desians of Symphonia or the God Generals of Abyss. Who was the bad guy of Vesperia anyway?

But yeah, it was the last great Tales Of game with decent Production Values. Compare the assets and artwork in that game to Zestiria and Berseria and it's not funny how far Namco has cheapened out on the series.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Best overall Tales game, but the garbage 3rd act holds it back from being in the all time JRPG greats.
I never ended up finishing the game because it went on too long. After dealing with Alexei I lost interest in finishing out the main plot. I'm guessing Duke was the final but I wasn't interested in the time at getting that far to find out.

I started a second playthrough years ago to finally finish it but I put it on hold at the point Yuri went all vigilante when they announced Xbox 360 games were going backwards compatible. I figured since Microsoft footed the bill for making this game they'd add it to the list. I was obviously wrong and if the game hasn't been added yet it likely never will so baring a remake I'll likely never finish it.
I liked Vesperia, but I think I enjoyed Symphonia and Abyss more. For me at least, the lack of compelling and memorable antagonists in Vesperia was a big letdown, I don't even remember them. Where as I can quickly remember the Cruxis/Desians of Symphonia or the God Generals of Abyss. Who was the bad guy of Vesperia anyway?

But yeah, it was the last great Tales Of game with decent Production Values. Compare the assets and artwork in that game to Zestiria and Berseria and it's not funny how far Namco has cheapened out on the series.
Alexei and probably Duke but Duke was one of those antagonist that wavered until the end of the game. Alexei is the game's main antagonist for at least 2/3rds of it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never ended up finishing the game because it went on too long. After dealing with Alexei I lost interest in finishing out the main plot. I'm guessing Duke was the final but I wasn't interested in the time at getting that far to find out.

I started a second playthrough years ago to finally finish it but I put it on hold at the point Yuri went all vigilante when they announced Xbox 360 games were going backwards compatible. I figured since Microsoft footed the bill for making this game they'd add it to the list. I was obviously wrong and if the game hasn't been added yet it likely never will so baring a remake I'll likely never finish it.

Alexei and probably Duke but Duke was one of those antagonist that wavered until the end of the game. Alexei is the game's main antagonist for at least 2/3rds of it.

As much as I love Vesperia, Alexei and Duke are just awful villains. They have decent motivations that don't play out well, especially in Alexei's case where he casually shows up to announce that he's going to be your villain for Act 2.

Sieffre

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The Tales series is near and dear to me, but I just couldn't really get into Vesperia. I was never invested into the Xbox ecosystem, and I didn't pick up a 360 until about 2013. By that time, I had already played Xillia and Graces ƒ.

I felt the combat was very similar to Abyss, but much more restrictive in skills, which made it less fun to me. I didn't really get attached to the characters, either. Yuri never really clicked with me. I hated Karol. I wanted to like Judith, but I could not play her at all. Absolutely hated Repede solely due to the fact that I can not get past that it's voiced by a person making dog noises. I liked Estelle because I have a total crush on Eden Riegel, and I loved Raven and Rita. I found Yeager distracting because he sounds exactly like Klaus from American Dad. I only played through the game once before shelving it. I eventually came back to it again after a few years, but got burned out by the end, and wasn't motivated to do the post-game dungeon.

There's nothing really special about the game to me. It feels like Abyss, but less fun, and with a less interesting world history. I'd rank it in the bottom half of the series, having not played any of the Japan-exclusive games. If they ever decide to do an official English localization for the PS3 version, sure, I'll give it another shot, but I won't care one way or the other if not.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love Vesperia, Alexei and Duke are just awful villains. They have decent motivations that don't play out well, especially in Alexei's case where he casually shows up to announce that he's going to be your villain for Act 2.
Oh right. Those guys. For some reason the one that I had in my mind who I can't remember for the life of me had some kind of a German accent? But I don't know if it was either of those. But that was the only memorable aspect of those villains I can remember, lol

I certainly don't recall what their motivations were, especially Duke, since he just seemed like some boring guy who just showed up randomly most of the game.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
No. It was too long for me. Still managed to finish it though.

The first bit was intriguing, but then it turns into yet another "Save the world" storyline. They could easily cut that bit out, perhaps use that effort to add to the first bit.

I loved Ristelle though, that was cute.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right. Those guys. For some reason the one that I had in my mind who I can't remember for the life of me had some kind of a German accent? But I don't know if it was either of those. But that was the only memorable aspect of those villains I can remember, lol

I certainly don't recall what their motivations were, especially Duke, since he just seemed like some boring guy who just showed up randomly most of the game.

Duke is simultaneously cliche up the butt while also having good motivations for the game he's in. Vesperia is a game about people trying to enforce their views of justice on the world with disastrous consequence, and Duke takes that to its logical extreme.

The problem is that he doesn't have a lot of screentime, and he's an asshole who wants to blow up the world like every JRPG villain ever. His unique points fail to shine.

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Vesperia is commonly cited as one of the best Tales games, so it's a shame that apparently so few have played this.

I doubt that even the best Tales game could really hang with the top 30 greatest RPGs of all time, though.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No. It was too long for me. Still managed to finish it though.

The first bit was intriguing, but then it turns into yet another "Save the world" storyline. They could easily cut that bit out, perhaps use that effort to add to the first bit.

I loved Ristelle though, that was cute.
It might not be a skit but I liked this one

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Tales of Destiny remake is pretty damn fantastic though. I'd easily put that in my top 5.

Comments like these are the reason why I wish the series had a better localization record, I bet this thread would've been filled with people stanning for Destiny PS2

you've got:
all the final fantasies
all the dragon quests
all the shin megami tensei games (& spinoffs, like persona)
all the mario rpgs
all the pokemon games
all the xeno games
the mother trilogy
& titles like chrono trigger, secret of mana, suikoden 2, shadow hearts: covenant, valkyrie profile, & so on...

so, no, imo there's just no room for a tales game in there :) ...

FSLink

Oct 25, 2017
you've got:
all the final fantasies
all the dragon quests
all the mario rpgs
all the pokemon games
all the xeno games
the mother trilogy
& titles like chrono trigger, secret of mana, suikoden 2, shadow hearts: covenant, valkyrie profile, & so on...

Probably not in my top 5 but it's pretty close.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
zkGcyoG.jpg

Namco pls

It's possible, Bamco teased again a while back, but could still be trolling.

you've got:
all the final fantasies
all the dragon quests
all the mario rpgs
all the pokemon games
all the xeno games
the mother trilogy

There is absolutely room for Destiny PS2, that game is basically a masterclass on everything that can go right with a remake.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
you've got:
all the final fantasies
all the dragon quests
all the mario rpgs
all the pokemon games
all the xeno games
the mother trilogy

Did you actually play all the games of the series you listed? Because there are several awful/mediocre games in there, like FF2, FFXIV.1, Xenosaga ep. 2 and more. Suggesting games like ToS or ToA are worse than any random FF is pretty bizarre.

Dec 18, 2017
Did you actually play all the games of the series you listed? Because there are several awful/mediocre games in there, like FF2, FFXIV.1, Xenosaga ep. 2 and more. Suggesting games like ToS or ToA are worse than any random FF is pretty bizarre.
Some people in this subculture/community are really biased against the Tales series.

Changed my avatar to a Tales character in protest.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
you've got:
all the final fantasies
all the dragon quests
all the mario rpgs
all the pokemon games
all the xeno games
the mother trilogy

Tales of Destiny remake easily belongs with the best of those you listed. Why did you waste your time writing that post when you haven't even played it?

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
No but it's easily one of the better Tales games, it's packed with contents to unlock. For costumes alone it puts other Tales, past and present, to shame. It's crazy to think the PS3 version was even more jam packed with the two extra characters, many new bosses and costumes and movie tie-in.

Parfait

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the best Tales game, and the series hasn't seen a real contender for that title since it came out. It's one of my favorite games of that generation as well.

stone616

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think anyone's forgot this ;p

We just have new fuel for the fire now, and a lot of people missed it.
Microsoft must have had some sort of deal that kept BN from porting the game to the PS3 in the west for any reasonable amount of time and since that console generation is long over it's likely that ship has permanently sailed.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Michaeljordan.gif
Fuck no, not even in the top 50.

It ain't even the best tales games and the tales series been on the low-end of the rpg ladder for a while.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
I am playing it right now after purchasing it soon after it had released (360 red ringed). Far and away not even in my top 20.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
It's one of the better Tales games but no. It has too many problems, from lousy writing (with the usual anime cliches) to bland music.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I really enjoyed it, but like all tales games had bad pacing with a really drawn out story and some insufferable characters, so Id say not even close. Though other people mentioning lost odyssey and minus the 1000 years of dreams or whatever I thought the game was staggeringly mediocre as well.

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Best Tales game and best PS3/Xbox360 Jrpg , but best Jrpg overall ? Pretty far from it .

Yeah agreed that Yuri is easily one of the best Jrpg protagonist .