• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
Good morning all! I just wanted to know if super Mario bros 2 will ever be possible for Mario Maker or do you think Nintendo japan will just ignore the title?

Are Mario 2s gameplay dynamics that hard to translate to the other versions of Mario?

Would you guys wanna see Mario 2s gameplay in Mario Maker?

The vegetables have been done in Mario 3 and Mario World via e-reader, and the other playable characters have been done via New Super Mario World do its possible!

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
I hope so. Also Super Marioland 1 and 2 would be nice, or even warioland settings.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
I highly doubt it would happen even though it's 100% possible. It's just too different, which makes it not easy to translate the mechanics to the other game worlds, and also if they were doing it then they probably would've advertised it when they first showed off the game.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not "impossible", but it would be very hard to implement if they plan to keep seamless theme switching intact.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I guess they could safely implement enemies like Birdo and Snifits into the other game modes, but maybe they feel that Shy Guys, Pidgits, etc are a little redundant for the other games. MM2 seems to have more puzzle mechanics and less restrictive vertical scrolling, so the game styles aren't insurmountably different this time around (except for the whole sub-space mechanic.) Still, it doesn't appear that they want to add a SMB2 mode.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Mario 2 plays so fundemantally different from any other Mario. It will never happen. Yes, it is "impossible" without fundamentally changing what Mario Maker is.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its not impossible but its definitely the most unique. There's the most unique enemies abd mechanics in 2 that arent present in the others

They should add vertical levels though. That'd be fun regardless.

Oct 29, 2017
The mechanics are so fundamentally different from every other 2D Mario game that I don't think they can really be incorporated. The mechanics largely don't have an equivilent in any other theme to latch onto.

That being said, I'm utterly baffled as to why we haven't seen Mario Land 1 & 2 get integrated into the theme selection though. They would work perfectly, although would need to be expanded upon.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It would be too difficult with the way you can switch games on the fly. As long as that is a primary focus it isn't going to happen. Also some of the game's gimmicks, such as the pots and subspace would need a lot of work to function properly

We should at least get Phantos, Shyguys, and Ninjis though

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Sadly I think so. I've been hoping that would be dlc for the original but as you say there are too many differences to make it seamless if you change style

It would be cool if they could add the vertical nature of some of smb 2's levels at least

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'd prefer they just cherrypicked some of the gimmicks and let you add them to other styles. There are a lot of neat things in SMB2 but the handling of the characters in particular is not nearly as interesting as real Mario.

Same goes for the Game Boy games: adopt some of the most signature gimmicks, don't bother with dedicated styles.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Super Mario 2 elements were implemented in the Mario 3 advance e-reader stages so I think it's possible.

hqdefault.jpg

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'd love it if they used All Stars visuals for an implementation. Same with SMB truth to be told. NES style is iconic, but I just loved the jump to 16 bit for all of the games included.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah this is pretty much it, there's nothing to stop it from happening. All games in Mario Maker have elements that aren't replicated in the others (for example powerups or how Goombas work) but whether they'll do it? Most likely not

Do Nintendo act like it never happened like not part of official cannon?

I remember playing it after SMB3 in like 1991 and thinking wtf. I never liked it personally. The story behind it makes a lot of sense considering my young perspective.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i would assume it's treated more as a spinoff in japan considering it never was a numbered SMB title and came out 3 years after 3.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Hopefully it's impossible.

(gameplay-wise, but I would love Mouser, Birdo and the whole gang in other Marios)

Seiniyta

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I'd much rather have a Yoshi's island theme. That's the real dream.

Mario 2 I think is possible. But I feel like it won't fit in as well.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The mechanics of SMB2 are so different from the other games that I don't think it will ever happen. Like it doesn't have the traditional cast of Mario enemies or powerups.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Super Mario 2 elements were implemented in the Mario 3 advance e-reader stages so I think it's possible.

hqdefault.jpg

The game play mechanics is vastly different enough that it feels like it's adding a completely new game in Mario Maker, such that I doubt it will be in the Mario Maker series.

Instead of Mario Maker, why not Mario Bros. Collection? Or Mario Bros. Collection Remix, a la NES Remix style?

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about the other Mario games they could've implemented, 3D World did seem like the best choice for a new style.

The Lost Levels, 3D Land, and all the other NSMB games are now redundant with the styles they already have. The other 3D Marios and SMB2 are so mechanically different that they wouldn't translate as well to the core Mario Maker experience. I guess that leaves just SML1 and SML2.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Do Nintendo act like it never happened like not part of official cannon?

I remember playing it after SMB3 in like 1991 and thinking wtf. I never liked it personally. The story behind it makes a lot of sense considering my young perspective.
Official canon was that it was all just a dream, which makes it even stranger that a ton of enemies and elements make it into later games.

PCPace

Oct 30, 2017
Alabama
Mario 2 mechanics aren't difficult to translate to other Mario games, in fact Nintendo has already done so in the Super Mario Advance series. Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 had bonus eReader levels where you could pluck and throw vegetables in Mario 3 style levels. I think maybe Super Mario Advance 3(or was it 2): Super Mario World also had such levels. The doors in the SMB style come directly from SMB2. Super Mario Maker already has enemies with the property of being rideable, like giant Monty Moles, and the NSMBU style has items with the property of when Mario picks up an item like a Pow Block(which itself is from SMB2) he carries it above his head.

Almost every individual gameplay mechanic from SMB2 is in Super Mario Maker already spread across different styles, and those that aren't, like pulling vegetables out of the ground, have already appeared in other more traditional Mario titles.

I don't really think this will be in Super Mario Maker though unfortunately.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
I think it's possible but not without gutting a lot of the gameplay. MM1 used nSMB physics for most everything. I'd imagine MM2 will do the same, except with 3D World physics instead. So the jump mechanics, slipperiness, and just general way that it feels/controls would be vastly different.

OP
OP
ChristopherDX

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
What's really different about the Mario 2 mechanics if we're honest here:

The vegetable pulls

The throwing system

The hearts system

The playable characters

You don't think they can tweak it to make it all work together?

I think people would be willing to compromise and give up the jumping on top and throwing gimmick for the aesthetics of SMB2

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I would argue no because the style is too different, but when you consider how different 3D World is (especially with the enemies: there seems to be a lot of exclusive elements for that style, based on the work done by GameXplain), I wouldn't rule it out: but, it's still really unlikely.

I don't think we're gonna see any more themes for SMM2, but if they do add a new one, I hope its' Super Mario Land 2 themed.

Deleted member 55822

Banned
Apr 10, 2019
In my opinion, there are four thing that rules SMB 2 out from being in Mario Maker:

- Multiple characters playstyle (though this might be a mood point)
- Characters have hit points
- Throwing things. And enemies don't take damage when being jumped on.
- Sub area working differently

Though that's not to say it's impossible. However I'd say it's more likely to have it on a seperate mode than being group together with other themes.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo likes to pretend SMB2 doesn't exist, so most likely not.
Yeah, thats why 3d world takes a lot of visual elements from it and the playable peach we have in any modern game is basically SMB2 peach instead of SPP peach. Or shyguys being an important mario enemy. Or birdo being female yoshi on the sport games...
But nintendo likes to pretend it doesnt exist, that makes sense.
Im not saying that its as overused as smb3 visuals in modern games, but i would say the land games are even more forgotten than smb2.

Last edited:

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Probably yeah. All of the resources they give you have to be able to work on all styles, and Super Mario Bros 2 is just too different, it would be too much work.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Super Mario 3D World made a lot of callbacks to SMB2, so there's that. Although, I'm still disappointed that Wart wasn't the actual final boss or even a normal ass boss in general.

SMB2 has so many cool enemy designs and it's a bummer they only appear as small references, appear briefly or are used in Kart games. Sure they're still here but after after a while we need a break from Hammer Bro's, Bullet Bills and Goomba's.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather SMB2 be in and be it's own separate thing and not have to adhere to the "everything from every game has to work in all themes" rule than not be in at all. There is sure some value in saying "how does X from game Y look in game Z" but it isn't a deal breaker to me. As it is seems too restrictive and limiting.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The biggest problem with Super Mario Bros. 2, which creates all the problems, are the ways you interact with enemies. In coding it is very easy to have any element interact in the same way no matter the style. 3D, 2D, simple 2D it doesn't matter as long as "Hitbox hits Hitbox = Do thing", which is universel.
But Super Mario Bros. 2 would need a complete unqiue interaction between objects. When Mario jumps on a Gumba, the Gumba dies in all styles (Hitbox meets Hitbox from an high angle). But in Super Mario Bros. 2 Mario would now stand on top of the Gumba, with even more unique interactions open up (picking up, being carried, hit something while being carried, etc). You have to create special rules for all enemies and other objects, just to work with one style!
You pretty much create a new kind of Mario Maker.

All they did in Super Mario Bros. 3 Advance was a unique mechanic to pick up vegetables and throwing them, which could defeat enemies. The interaction between vegetables and enemies is like throwing fireballs. Very simple and universal. This is something, they could add to Mario Maker.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would like the whole game replicated, I think it would be better to just implement vegetable picking and some enemies into other game styles, maybe all of them. Let us place grass on the ground, and Mario can pull up turnips and other items. Shy Guys and Birdos would be welcome especially. You'd have to uniquely pick up Shy Guys and Birdo's eggs.

Jan 29, 2018
I wouldn't mind at all if a SMB2 editor was like, a $10 expansion or something. Sectioned off from the other styles so they didn't have to translate everything to the different aesthetics.

I don't expect it though.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The biggest problem with Super Mario Bros. 2, which creates all the problems, are the ways you interact with enemies. In coding it is very easy to have any element interact in the same way no matter the style. 3D, 2D, simple 2D it doesn't matter as long as "Hitbox hits Hitbox = Do thing", which is universel.
But Super Mario Bros. 2 would need a complete unqiue interaction between objects. When Mario jumps on a Gumba, the Gumba dies in all styles (Hitbox meets Hitbox from an high angle). But in Super Mario Bros. 2 Mario would now stand on top of the Gumba, with even more unique interactions open up (picking up, being carried, hit something while being carried, etc). You have to create special rules for all enemies and other objects, just to work with one style!
You pretty much create a new kind of Mario Maker.

I don't think that part would be a big issue. They'd only need to change a couple of specific factors (jumping doesn't kill, stand on top of the hit box, throw ability possible on smaller enemies) and then apply that to all enemies. The actual problem is that they'd need to implement unique enemy types with their own movement and attacks just for the SMB2 style. Even if they're just created as counterparts for the monsters from the other styles, they'd still need to be implemented from zero and it'd just save them work from making sprites/models for the other styles.

Deleted member 47942

Banned
Sep 20, 2018
I think the inclusion of Super Mario 3D World elements opens the door for SMB2 elements to be included.

I don't think any other game in the series has flirted with SMB2 as much as 3D World did.